27 dec 2007, 17:45
After over 1,000 votes on SMNnews.com, the results are in! The following are the 10 Worst “Metal” Albums of 2007:
01. Avenged Sevenfold - Avenged Sevenfold
02. HellYeah - HellYeah
03. Waking The Cadaver - Perverse Recollections of A Necromangler
04. Otep - The Ascension
05. Job For A Cowboy - Genesis
06. Divine Heresy - Bleed The Fifth
07. Soilwork - Sworn To A Great Divide
08. Despised Icon - The Ills of Modern Man
09. Suicide Silence - The Cleansing
10. Ion Dissonance - Minus The Heard
ok so here's my take.
The last 3 were in my Top 20 BEST. Keep in mind, these lists are compiled from votes of people with no jobs who spend their days sitting in front of their computers eating cheetos and scoping out 15-year-old scene girls' myspaces... they listen to "metal" albums religiously each year, getting tats and piercings and wishing they were talented enough to be in a band... when in realization the people like myself who are paid and given school credit to work in this business who dont have copius amounts of time to spend listening to each and every album because we're too busy working with the actual ARTIST, somehow end up knowing we're talking about because we make a LIVING OFF OF IT. We dont need that time because the second we hear an album we know if its shit. And um... yeah thats all i have to say on that.
My second statement is:
WHY IN HELL WASN'T ATREYU ON HERE?
Third statement is:
I know why those bottom 3 got canned. And it seems like its possibly NOT a result of the actual music, but what the band did to the scene.
1) Despised Icon unfortunately created an album that sounded the same the entire time, and although it was pretty good, they started this gay-ass trend of untied nike sneakers, hood caps with stickers, their area code plastered to every inch of their body, and regenerated a middle school version of the existing tough boy attitude. You listen watch MTV and know all the words to The Game's new album. Leave the real music to the rest of us. Oh, and being a 16 year old white kid dressing like your black but then insisting you're so HXC doesnt really work for all of us who have been in the metal game twice as long as you. Oh, and too many bree's. Wow, maybe I SHOULDN'T have in included this in my top 20 after all.
2) Suicide Silence. That was a pretty good album... musically. BUT, the lyrics always registered to me as "WE WROTE THESE LYRICS TO SOUND AS BRUTAL AND VIOLENT AS FATHOMABLE SO WE COULD GET AS MANY ANGRY SCENE KIDS TO BUY OUR ALBUM AS POSSIBLE." In turn, its being sold in Hot Topic's nationwide. Hooray for you guys. Pull the trigger bitch. Lamest metal lyric of 2007.
3) Ion Dissonance. I actually thought this album was good. But, not as good as their more tech-sounding previous releases. So, I feel thats why they were slammed with the 10th worst album position. And thats pretty much it.
Oh, and for the people that got on me about DEP and BTBAM and how they WEREN'T in my top 20... yeah I barely had time to listen to them this year for than 3 times each... I was too busy promoting their albums to my station. Plus, I took 19 credits the semester, and they came out around midterm time. And have 2 jobs. For anyone who does go to college... 19.5 is the most you are ALLOWED to take because the school is afraid anything over 19 will cause you to FAIL OUT OF COLLEGE due to being overwhelmed and INSANE. Yeah, I was busy.
Now, feel free to argue with me. I'm sure some asshole like i described above wants to put down his cheetos for a second to cyber-bitch at me.