22 aug 2011, 21:25 av Neue_regel_As Frank Zappa said: "most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." Extremely true, if you ask me. However, I'll try my best in this little journal role. Of course, there are thousands upon thousands of music genres. Nevertheless, only a few can boast and entail a sheer bombastic splendour without simultaneously losing any edge of intellectual honesty and rigor. Definitely, progressive metal is one of those. From wiki: " Progressive metal (sometimes known as prog metal) is a subgenre of heavy metal, which blends the powerful, guitar-driven sound of metal with the complex compositional structures, odd time signatures, diverse philosophical lyrics and intricate instrumental playing of progressive rock. Many progressive metal bands are also influenced by jazz fusion and classical music. Like progressive rock songs, progressive metal songs are typically much longer".
15 jan 2010, 22:59 av progmetalheadTop 10 ranked, others in chronological order:
1. Arcturus – Sideshow Symphonies (2005) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP7TzWbLWag
2. Enslaved – Ruun (2006) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PgxBWhvExw
3. Opeth – Watershed (2008) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJoFnnCqsnY
4. Negura Bunget – Om (2006) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgkUO6lz9mI
5. Shining – V: Halmstad (2007) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBwgD_L7j9E
6. Riverside – Rapid Eye Movement (2007) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMqd7zYkQaw
7. Porcupine Tree – In Absentia (2002) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VfjNAs4lCU
8. Ulver – Blood Inside (2005) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFdcf_XUAKM
9. Pain of Salvation – Be (2004) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQWAH962ZDI
10. Virus – The Black Flux (2008)
Ozric Tentacles – The Hidden Step (2000)
Primordial – Spirit The Earth Aflame (2000)
Tool – Lateralus (2001)
Paranoise – ISHQ (2001)
Therion – Secret Of The Runes (2001)
31 dec 2009, 07:48 av illninoese#
10 Years - Killing All That Holds You
10 Years - The Autumn Effect
10 Years - Division
2X - Lucha Eterna
3 - The End Is Begun
3 Inches of Blood - Advance and Vanquish
311 - From Chaos
311 - Evolver
311 - Uplifter
36 Crazyfists - In The Skin
36 Crazyfists - Bitterness the Star
36 Crazyfists - A Snow Capped Romance
36 Crazyfists - Rest Inside The Flames
36 Crazyfists - The Oculus EP
36 Crazyfists - The Tide and Its Takers
40 Below Summer - Invitation to the Dance
40 Below Summer - The Mourning After
40 Below Summer - The Last Dance
A Dozen Furies - A Concept from Fire
Aborted - Engineering the Dead
Aborted - Goremageddon: The Saw and the Carnage Done
Aborted - The Haematobic EP
Aborted - The Archaic Abattoir
Aborted - Slaughter & Apparatus: A Methodical Overture
Aborted - Strychnine.213
Aborted - Coronary Reconstruction
The Absence - From Your Grave
The Absence - Riders of the Plague
Abstract Giants - Abstract Giants
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Agalloch - The Mantle
20 nov 2009, 02:16 av ArthurCormorantMy newest article for MetalSucks.net. I write about the controversial genre post-black metal. I contend that the style exists and originates with the Celtic Frost album Into The Pandemonium.
Read and comment here:
Bands cited in the article:
Wall of Voodoo
Cradle of Filth
In The Woods...
Ved Buens Ende
Age of Silence
Blut aus Nord
2 mar 2009, 21:55 av The_ForgottonAndromeda – “Chameleon Carneval”
Moonbound – “Nina”
Kansas – “The Wall (live with London Symphony Orchestra)”
Autumn – “The Heart Demands”
Beardfish – “And Never Know”
Goblin– “Terra di Goblin”
Epica – “Sancta Terra”
King Crimson – “Cat Food”
Simon Paradis – “All You Can Eat”
Andrew Gorczyca – “Give It Time”
Winds – “Convictions and Contradictions”
The Flower Kings – “Monkey Business”
Fish – “Zoe 25”
24 feb 2009, 02:05 av GammaweenSince my way is to fucking confusing I'm just going to go alphabetically. So here we go:
After Forever- After Forever
Aina- Days of Rising Doom
Alcest- Écailles De Lune
Amaseffer- Slaves for Life
Amon Amarth- Versus the World
Amon Amarth- With Oden on Our Side
Amon Amarth- Twilight of the Thunder God
Amorphis- Am Universum
Amorphis- Tales from The Thousand Lakes
Amorphis- Silent Waters
Andre Matos- Mentalize
Andre Matos- Time to be Free
Angra- Hunters and Prey
Angra- Temple of Shadows
Angra- Aurora Consurgens
Anthrax- We've Come For You All
Anthrax- Worship Music
Arch Enemy- Burning Bridges
Arch Enemy- Wages of Sin
Arch Enemy- Doomsday Machine
Arch Enemy- Rise of the Tyrant
Arch Enemy- The Root Of All Evil
Arcturus- The Sham Mirrors
Atheist- Pieces Of Time: Atheist 1988-1993
Augury- Fragmentary Evidence
Avantasia- Angel of Babylon
17 dec 2008, 01:23 av maidenhellProgressive Radio
History of Progressive Metal
This is perhaps the most confusing of the sub-genres as it encompasses so many different styles...Progressive metal (sometimes shortened to prog metal) is a fusion genre; a mixture of progressive rock and heavy metal. Progressive metal blends the powerful, guitar-driven sound of metal with the complex compositional structures, odd time signatures, and intricate instrumental playing of progressive rock. Some progressive metal bands are also influenced by jazz fusion and classical music. Like progressive rock songs, progressive metal songs are usually much longer than standard metal songs, and they are often thematically linked in concept albums. As a result, progressive metal is rarely heard on mainstream radio and video programs.
!T.O.O.H.!//A.C.T//Abydos//Adagio//Adramelch//Age of Silence//Aghora//Aghora//Alchemist//Alchemist//Alchemist//Alchemist//Amorphis//Amorphis//AM…
14 dec 2008, 15:43 av Drappery_Fallsdrappery_falls's top albums
1. Opeth - Damnation (565) http://ilo.gda.pl/filip/cover/resizer.php?i=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008OLYN.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg&w=160 http://ilo.gda.pl/filip/cover/spacer.gif2. Anathema - Alternative 4 (530) http://ilo.gda.pl/filip/cover/resizer.php?i=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000009OSZ.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg&w=160 http://ilo.gda.pl/filip/cover/spacer.gif3. Green Carnation - The Acoustic Verses (525) http://ilo.gda.pl/filip/cover/resizer.php?i=http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/174s/18678641.jpg&w=160 http://ilo.gda.pl/filip/cover/spacer.gif4. Amorphis - Eclipse (474) http://ilo.gda.pl/filip/cover/resizer.php?i=http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/174s/8758315.jpg&w=160 http://ilo.gda.pl/filip/cover/spacer.gif5. Anathema - Judgement (433) http://ilo.gda.pl/filip/cover/resizer.php?i=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000055X3U.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg&w=160 http://ilo.gda.pl/filip/cover/spacer.gif6. …
11 dec 2008, 08:22 av the-lotus-eater1.How did you get into no.29?
The Retrosic - Surfing the internet and all my fancy sites
2. What's the first song you ever heard by no.22?
Christian Death - "Cavity - First Communion"
3. Whats your favorite lyric by no.33?
Winds - Conscience
4. How did you get into no.49?
Sting - Man, I don't know. How can you not get into Sting? It must have been Nothing Like The Sun. It's perfect.
5. How many albums by no.13 do you own?
Peccatum - All releases.
6. What is your favorite song by no.50?
Red Harvest' - Beyond the End
7. Is there a song by no.39 that makes you sad?
John 5 - Not sad, no. More like evil.
8. What is your favorite song by no.15?
Elend - Staggering Moon/The Plain Masks of Daylight
9. What is your favorite song by no.5?
Cinema Strange - Legs and Tarpaulin (King Pest)
10. Is there a song by no.6 that makes you happy?
Ulver - I bet you're laughing now. If any, then I Troldskog Faren Vild
11. What is the worst song by no.40?
A Journey Down the Well - He Will Be Burried Soon
7 dec 2008, 10:42 av 0k0k0k0