What's the most unlistenable band/album you listen to?

• Re:

Quoth ellaofthestars:
    i want to get some La Monte Young. someone told me it would compliment my love of Terry Riley. any recommendations? i hear recordings are expensive & difficult to come by. maybe if i figure out how to use BitTorrent...

http://www.ubu.com/sound/young.html
    http://www.ubu.com/sound/z.html
    http://www.ubu.com/sound/cale.html
    http://www.ubu.com/sound/fluxus.html
    http://www.ubu.com/sound/flux_tellus.html

ubu, people. they have it. 20th century art oriented stuff anyways...

• OK I've got it....

ANY of Francisco Lopez's earlier "Untitled #_ _ _" works, that all begin with 30+ seconds of silence and then make use of pretty much 100% inaudible field recordings - due to EQ'ing/processing.

And then Taku Sugimoto's "Chamber Music" - where I think there are a total of maybe 30 notes struck over the course of an hour (not sustained...).

• slsx Lamonte Young - you can find way more than is available on disc anywhere. There was a german label that re;leased a 4 disc bootleg awhile ago. Then there's the later stuff that floats around - it's all good.

Better I think is the Tony Conrad "Early Minimalism" box on TOE.

Then the Cale stuff. Maclise is great too.

Alisdair Galbraith (spelling) does some similar things as Conrad on the violin.

Charlemagne Palestine - Strumming Music and Shlingen Blangennn (spelling!!??).

There's a later Riley Persian Surgery performance in L.A. that I've only seen on vinyl - it's great.

Eliane Radigue is great - much more electronic drone based...

Also - don't be afraid of early Popol Vuh! It is you friend....

Even some of the Deuter stuff....

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jul 2006, 00:13

Re:

Quoth love_forever:
    slsx Lamonte Young - you can find way more than is available on disc anywhere. There was a german label that re;leased a 4 disc bootleg awhile ago. Then there's the later stuff that floats around - it's all good.

i think i have that, it's called the well-tuned piano..wait, that one's five discs..regardless, i have that on soulseek..whenever i decide to log back on..probably later today.

• Re:

Quoth love_forever:
    Alisdair Galbraith (spelling) does some similar things as Conrad on the violin.

close... 'alastair.'

a few weeks back, a friend and i took a boombox and tony conrad/faust out onto her back porch and blasted it into the night. this was especially gratifying since her idiot upstairs neighbors insist on calling her apartment complex 'emo house.'

if you get tired of compositions that take hours to play out, you can always grab lamonte young's 'five small pieces for string quartet' which clock in at under 2 minutes each.

• annoying

im trying to remeber the most obnoxious releases from breathmint and SNSE. you know... it kind sounds like if doctor demento was a child molester and sold snuff flims that were titled "actual slim goodbudddy" (though i'm not saying he didn't...) uh anyway, stuff like unconditional loathing, some monotract, Jockesses, and v/vm really can fucking annoy me. which is why i still listen to it. sorry that so im so 3 years ago, but that was my beginning. anyway the most annoying stuff i listen to. ooh and blectdom from blechdom, or is it the other way i forgot. everybody is either metalish or no-wave or weird psych. what happened to the outsiders that wanted to be hated? wolf eyes is the perfect example of this.

• Användare
    • 4 jul 2006, 08:20

Re: annoying

Quoth tinnitustimulus:
    ooh and blectdom from blechdom.

agreed.

• cjcarne sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jul 2006, 22:32
    I guess if you haven't got a particularly dumb sense of humour then Kevin Blechdom's 'Bitches Without Britches' might be unlistenable. I think it's great, so...

Chief Slacker & Bat Chain Puller At:
    Desk Supervisor: Free Improvisation Artist Expert: Derek Bailey, Pere Ubu
    And remember, you get a free dead cat in each bar of Dead Cat Soap

• ah god i don't know. too much stuff.

• Cladonio sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 jul 2006, 10:33
    Since people have been discussing La Monte Young here, I have to mention this: my radio just played me The Well-Turned Piano. Well-Turned?? What's that? Towards the audience? People mistagging tracks create whole new concepts. Yeah, the sound is shaking because some people are rotating the piano while Young is playing, maybe it has nothing to do with tuning at all, it's just a doppler effect ;)

• That's giving me visions of the scene in Conan the Barbarian where he's turning the wheel, except with a piano instead of a wheel.

• Tapewyrm sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 jul 2006, 00:49
    Probably Painkiller and Hemophiliac. Maybe Naked City, Liars, Ruins, and Boredoms too.. and a few more I can't think of right now...

• Celer sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 aug 2006, 22:02
    stephan mathieu - frequencylib

• cjcarne sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 aug 2006, 19:54
    That Paris Hilton album. I've not heard it but I'll bet it knocks all our choices into a cocked hat for unlistenability.

• but dude... she's holding trout mask replica. that has to count for something, right?

http://www.gawker.com/news/paris-hilton/shes-too-much-fun-for-my-mirror-194954.php

• cjcarne sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 sep 2006, 09:25
    Her cover of 'Orange Claw Hammer' is due out next month, I've heard.

• I love Morton Feldman but sometimes 5 hours of intermittent plucking on a viola can really put me on edge.

Lamone Young did a really early piece where he recorded the sound of a gong being dragged on a sidewalk.

I've been listening to alot of Gagaku on the regular, which is like heavy drone music from medieval Japan. Friends of mine describe it as "killing the ego with boredom."

• A lot of gerogerigegege records are hard to sit through all of. Even if I'm enjoying it (which I usually am), I guess our bodies just have some kind of defense mechanism against going deaf from listening to static and old Japanese men masturbating.

*my stepfather for example is an expert level guitarist*.
    Rapists usually have sex often.
  • has anybody mentioned sightings yet?

• Användare
    • 10 okt 2006, 11:47
    maybe live sightings....back in the day they were so immensely loud and heavy it might qualify, but the new rjr isn't that harsh, plus their stuff has always been melodic in some way or another, which plays a large part in making something 'listenable' at least for a normal audience

• galina ustvolskaya's piano sonatas....

no. dynamism. allowed.

and for some reason van dyke parks also seems to be pitched just right to alienate both sides of the fence.... i don't understand why, but it does.

• Användare
    • 11 okt 2006, 16:30
    if you don't have the patience, alvin lucier's 'i am sitting in a room' could be unlistenable.

• Användare
    • 11 okt 2006, 21:40
    actually speaking of lucier..."Bird and Person Dyning" actually forced me to turn it off because I simply couldn't deal with the frequency...totally punishing to the eardrum...that goes for Whitehouse's "Buchenwald" also

those would probably be my top two 'unlistenable' pieces

• popluhv sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 nov 2006, 01:07
    Kaoru Abe/ M. Takayanagi : Mass projection

• Användare
    • 7 nov 2006, 20:45
    Someone I knew in sixth form (that's roughly high school to you American types) formed an experimental group with a Swedish mate, and called it The Alpha Minor Correspondents. He sent me a song, and it's great - in a sort of "there is no god" way. Next down on that list is either Atari Teenage Riot or Lightning Bolt.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.