Tip: Using the Tag Editor @ Last.FM

• Eingang sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 nov 2005, 11:36

Tip: Using the Tag Editor @ Last.FM

Summary:
    Tips and tricks to more effectively use the Last.FM tag editor on a Mac.

System:
    - 17" G4 PowerBook
    - Mac OS X 10.4.3 (Tiger)
    - Safari 2.0.2
    - Camino 1.01a
    - Camino 0.89a
    - Firefox 1.4
    - Firefox 1.0.6

Tip:

1. Use Safari!

Discussion:
    If you haven't played around with them yet, tags are a way of labelling tracks, artists, or albums in the Last.FM database. Tagging (or labelling) has recently become extremely popular due to the success of systems like Gmail (for mail), Flickr (for photos), Del.icio.us (bookmarks), 43Things (goals), and LibraryThing (books). In theory, tags can be used to help you find your own stuff and similar stuff from other people. Last.FM also allows you to use the tags to program your Last.FM radio. Check out the Last.FM Tag FAQ for more info.

The tag editor on Last.FM allows you to review all your artists or the last 250 tracks and mass assign tags to them. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work very well in most of the Mac browsers, if at all. Although I normally use a Gecko browser (Camino or Firefox), it proved untenable to use the editor in either of those -- it took forever for it to load and the display wasn't correct. This is definitely a place to use Safari. Safari loaded the relevant pages quickly and displayed them properly.

So where is the tag editor? I can't give you a direct link. However, there's a button to launch the tag editor on your Profile + Tag page. That's the page accessible from the top of any page, as the last link in the box with your name/messages/settings links, etc.

I'd do anything for love, but I won't do that.
  • Thanks for the summary

I keep seeing and hearing about tags but I'm not quite convinced they are for me. But it is nice to know how to try some out if I ever find a use for them. . .

How do you tag your music, Ein? And just to satisfy my own curiosity, wouldn't it be more useful for you to tag the actual files on your computer, since those are ultimately the files you'll be interacting with?

• Purpose of tagging

Tags are general lists of keywords that you associate with a piece of data -- in the case of last.fm, they recommend tagging artists, albums or tracks with genres, moods, or really anything you want. The difference between that and what iTunes provides is that iTunes isn't as flexible -- for the most part it only allows you to edit ID3 tags, which allow, for example, one Genre per track. With last.fm's tag editor, you can select an artist and say that their music is "indie", "post punk", "aggressive", and "experimental". Then anytime someone searches on one of those tags, your tag will influence their results.

• Democracy

I'd like to reinforce the notion of tagging as a social activity. When we tag our music on sites like Last.fm, we're adding to the knowledgebase. It's a very democratic way of sharing our opinions in a way useful to other music lovers.

I also tag my files, but that's personal and not shared. I wonder if there's a way for the plug-in to pick up the file tags... Hmm...

• Ah

I think this is an interesting idea. After reading a bit more about it I can certainly see how I would find tagging bookmarks and photos useful. I'm not sure how I, personally, would tag music though but I can imagine that there is a certain segment of the computer-using world who would love it. I'll just have to wait and see if a use comes up for me. In the meantime, happy taggin'!

Actually, I've recently had the recurring idle thought of making a playlist out of all of the songs on my iPod that contain referrences to "backseat love." Maybe that would make a good tag. Once again shuffle mode exposes another interesting aspect of humanity. What did people do before cars?

• Eingang sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jan 2006, 01:50

Re: Ah

Quoth go mizops:
    I think this is an interesting idea. After reading a bit more about it I can certainly see how I would find tagging bookmarks and photos useful. I'm not sure how I, personally, would tag music though but I can imagine that there is a certain segment of the computer-using world who would love it. I'll just have to wait and see if a use comes up for me. In the meantime, happy taggin'!

Since I wrote the original post at the end of November, we had some kind of database crash and all the tag info I'd painstakingly done for over a hundred and fifty artists/albums was lost. I'm very disappointed.

Quoth go mizops (earlier):
    How do you tag your music, Ein?

I started off with two tags: Canadian and Ecto. I may have also had Female, but I can't remember.

I do also "tag" in iTunes by adding content to the "Comments" field. I have some AppleScript which allow me to select multiple items in iTunes and append information to the comment fields.

As for Last.FM's tagging, well, I'll probably wait. It was very time-consuming for me to have done what I did and there's no way to bulk do it or back it up, so I guess I'll wait until I feel more confident that it's stable.

I'd do anything for love, but I won't do that.
  • Eingang said:
    ... I do also "tag" in iTunes by adding content to the "Comments" field. I have some AppleScript which allow me to select multiple items in iTunes and append information to the comment fields.

Eingang, do you keep consistent with the tags you use in iTunes? I'm trying to add tags in my songs' comment field, but find it hard to keep it consistent! ( I forget what tags I had used! lol.) For example, I would use 'mellow' on one song, and 'sad' on another. 'happy' and 'fun' would also both come to my mind, but they would create an inconsistency when creating a smart-playlist!
    Any tips?!

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 apr 2009, 04:26

Seamless iTunes Tagging

I've been searching for a way to have the ID3 tags for all of the tracks in iTunes reflect their appropriate Last.fm tags, but I have yet to find a script that will accomplish this task seamlessly without any manual involvement.

The general consensus is that until Apple developers integrate tagging capabilities, we will have to rely on near-seamless software and/or scripts.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.