iPod Touch and iPhone support

• smshaner sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 jun 2007, 20:07

iPod Touch and iPhone support

Edited by Damaged - 2008/7/13: 2.2b3 now includes integrated support for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

I noticed today that iScrobbler's iPod support does not extend to the iPhone. I'm checking the same "Recently Played" playlist that the iPod updates, and yes, the new song data is there. However, checking both iScrobbler (1.2.2) and last.fm shows that no new data has been uploaded.

What gives? Is this going to be fixed soon?

Edited by Damaged - 2007/10/28: Changed post title and made sticky.

Redigerad av Damaged den 13 jul 2008, 15:07
    • smshaner sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 jun 2007, 20:07
    Oh and yes, the iPod scrobbling still works fine on my client.

• glgray sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 jul 2007, 01:11
    I get my iPhone on Monday -- please say it isn't so. :-(

• smshaner sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 jul 2007, 18:37
    I think this problem has something to do with the fact that iPhones aren't mounted on the system as iPods are. There's scuttlebutt to the effect that the iPhone does all its syncing using the DAAP protocol over the USB->Dock cable, instead of just exchanging files with a mounted drive.

Does this affect the ability of iScrobbler to support the iPhone or am I way off-base?

• Damaged sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jul 2007, 15:58
    smshaner: Yes, that's the problem. iScrobbler uses the iPod volume mount/unmount as triggers. A workaround would be to sync an iPod (even if you've not played anything) immediately after syncing your iPhone.

• glgray sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jul 2007, 16:57
    Damaged said:
    smshaner: Yes, that's the problem. iScrobbler uses the iPod volume mount/unmount as triggers. A workaround would be to sync an iPod (even if you've not played anything) immediately after syncing your iPhone.

That's good to know. At least we have something for now (until you work your magic). Thanks!

-- Gary

• smshaner sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jul 2007, 21:32
    That doesn't entirely work for me, since I sync my iPod from my desktop (with a complete library of video+music) while my iPhone syncs off of my desktop (with a reduced library of only music + some music videos). I eagerly await any other solution you can offer.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jul 2007, 22:20
    Well, I do what Damaged suggested with both the iphone and appletv. That is, I first sync apple tv, then the iphone, then plug in a shuffle that launches the sync process. Seems to pick up all the played items, although the times are strange. But that doesn't matter to me. All I care is that the played items are scrobbled.

Right now the iphone is certainly different. There is no setting to allow it to be used as a disk drive (just like apple TV), so to get "direct" support for scrobbling seems extremely difficult, especially without an iPhone to work with.

If there is a group of folks who want iPhone scrobbling, why not pool your resources and buy Damaged an iPhone to work with?

• smshaner sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jul 2007, 01:52
    I'd donate some cash toward that cause... where will such resource-pooling be advertised?

• smshaner sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 jul 2007, 14:17

Found a (possible) solution for iScrobbler!

As long as you don't mind linking against a private framework, other people have done the hard work already.

Wiki: http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
    <600 lines of C++ code (compiles under both Mac & Windows): http://lpahome.com/iPhone/mac/iPhoneInterface.zip

Looks like it's a few QuickTime & CoreFoundation calls to register the right callbacks. Let me know if this helps.

• trekkie sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 jul 2007, 20:05
    yeah I got the iPod workaround to fix it, didn't notice it until loosing a day of plays. Hope the above code helps a bit, i get a bit anal about my songs being listed for some dumb reason. Strangely addictive.

• Ozir sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 jul 2007, 17:32

What about songs played on both?

Example
    I listen to music from iPod on way to work.
    I listen to music from iPhone during lunch.
    I listen to music from iPod on way home.

Get home and sync iPhone first, then sync iPod. What happens?

I will experiment later, but if someone knows, please reply.

Thanks.

Westside!
    • Damaged sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 jul 2007, 18:13
    Sync the iPhone first, then the iPod. Otherwise you'll lose the iPhone plays (as they were before the last song played on the iPod).

• rpfile sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 jul 2007, 01:05

i am dumb

i dont get it. are you saying to sync the iphone in itunes, which presumably updates the itunes library metadata, then sync another ipod and iscrobbler will pick up the new plays directly from itunes?

• Damaged sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 jul 2007, 06:34
    rpfile said:
    i dont get it. are you saying to sync the iphone in itunes, which presumably updates the itunes library metadata, then sync another ipod and iscrobbler will pick up the new plays directly from itunes?

Yes, that's exactly what will happen.

• ryptide sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 jul 2007, 13:57
    Wouldn't it be possible to take advantage of the wifi/edge capabilities of the iPhone in some way to scrobble our tracks? Obviously it would have to be through mobile Safari, but is it possible to access a list of recently played tracks on the iPhone in this way?

.ernie | ryptide

"Music is the vernacular of the human soul." - Geoffrey Latham
    • DarthEd sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 aug 2007, 19:52
    It would be nice if there were a menu option which users could select from the iScrobbler menu which would trigger iScrobbler to sync the Recently Played list with last.fm. That way iPhone and AppleTV owners wouldn't have to have to resort to mounting an iPod as a workaround. Some people might own an iPhone but not an iPod, for example. It wouldn't be automatic, but it sounds simple to implement. What do you think, Damaged? I don't own an iPhone or an AppleTV yet, but I plan to purchase both in the coming year....

• glgray sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 aug 2007, 22:34
    DarthEd said:
    It would be nice if there were a menu option which users could select from the iScrobbler menu which would trigger iScrobbler to sync the Recently Played list with last.fm. That way iPhone and AppleTV owners wouldn't have to have to resort to mounting an iPod as a workaround. Some people might own an iPhone but not an iPod, for example. It wouldn't be automatic, but it sounds simple to implement. What do you think, Damaged? I don't own an iPhone or an AppleTV yet, but I plan to purchase both in the coming year....

You don't need an iPod, you just need to make iTunes think you have one. If you sync your iPhone (I assume this would also work with an Apple TV) and then mount the following disk image:

http://www.esm.psu.edu/faculty/gray/misc/Fake_iPod.dmg.zip

then iTunes will think that you have mounted an iPod. Simply unmount the mounted disk image and iScrobble will scrobble the tracks played on your iPhone. It works perfectly for me.

I hope this helps.

• i'm a dunce

well i must be doing something wrong. i am running mac os X on a macbook. i have a shuffle and tried syncing the iphone then the shuffle. nothing gets scrobbled. i also tried mounting the disk image glgray posted but it doesn't trigger anything in itunes.....must be me!

--
    +++sig+++

personal blog ---> http://info.sean808080.com
    work blog-------> http://adaptIO.net
    twitter ---------> http://twitter.com/sean808080

+++end sig+++
    • glgray sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 aug 2007, 20:28
    sean808080 said:
    well i must be doing something wrong. i am running mac os X on a macbook. i have a shuffle and tried syncing the iphone then the shuffle. nothing gets scrobbled. i also tried mounting the disk image glgray posted but it doesn't trigger anything in itunes.....must be me!

The shuffle isn't supported on versions of iScrobbler before 1.5. See the beginning of the thread:

http://www.last.fm/group/iScrobbler/forum/35555/_/134626

It is supported in version 1.5. See:

http://www.last.fm/group/iScrobbler/forum/35555/_/134630

Are you running 1.5?

-- Gary

• DarthEd sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 aug 2007, 15:19
    And make sure the "Enable iPod Submissions" checkbox is checked in the iScrobbler 1.5 preferences. The "Using Playlist" preference should be "Recently Played" as well.

The "fake iPod" image makes iPhone and AppleTV scrobbling much more convenient. (Thanks, glgray!) It's still a bit of kludge though. I maintain that a menu option in the iScrobbler menu would be a lot less kludgey.

Redigerad av DarthEd den 18 aug 2007, 22:40
    • glgray sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 aug 2007, 16:11
    DarthEd said:
    And make sure the "Enable iPod Submissions" checkbox is checked in the iScrobbler 1.5 preferences. The "Using Playlist" preference should be "Recently Played" as well.

The "fake iPod" image make iPhone and AppleTV support more convenient. It's still a bit of kludge though. I maintain that a menu option in the iScrobbler menu would be a lot less kludgey.

I completely agree. I need the fake disk image since I am finding that my iPhone is now being used for music more than my iPod nano. :-)

Consider this to be one more vote for an iScrobbler solution.

• ryptide sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 aug 2007, 07:30
    I guess I'm doing something wrong. I've mounted and unmounted my iPhone and the fake iPod image several different times, in varying orders.

Is there a definitive set of instructions to make this work? Nothing at all is being upped from my iPhone at this point.

.ernie | ryptide

• smshaner sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 aug 2007, 13:29
    While the Fake iPod image is mounted on your desktop, select "Update iPod" from iScrobbler's menu. Be patient, but recently played tracks should start scrobbling within the next minute or so.

• ryptide sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 aug 2007, 18:35
    I wish I could say that worked. I even went to lunch and came back with it still mounted. Nothing.

.ernie | ryptide

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.