• Cruinne sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 mar 2009, 01:32
    Hi all,
    My name is Cihan
    Dream Theater, Camel, Opeth, Iron Maiden are mainly my favourite bands.
    My favourite long songs are Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons, Camel - Lady Fantasy, Opeth - Deliverance, Iron Maiden - Rime of The Ancient Mariner.
    I like long songs because they feel like an imaginary voyage, an epic to me. Despite their length they seem to be lasting too short to me and thats why i try to find and listen more and more 10min+ songs. :)

• Arathez sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 apr 2009, 16:51
    Thomas here

Great to find a collection of people who all love the long song :D I don't really have any favorite band, I listen to Progressive, Black, Death and Thrash Metal. Most of my 10 min songs comes from my progressive side like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Rush etc.

Alot of the 10 min ++ songs usually have a lot more soul in my opinoin, why they usually turn out so amazing is hard to tell. They just do. Even if its a 12 min black metal song, for ex. Nargaroth - Seven Tears Are Flowing To The River or 15 progressive metal for ex. Redemption - Sapphire. The long songs are the best! :D

• ramados sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 apr 2009, 03:52
    Duncan McFarlane
    My favorite bands vary. I like the "extreme" metal and prog stuff.
    My favorite 10 minute plus songs are both Crimson II by Edge Of Sanity, Home by Dream Theater, White Walls by Between The Buried And Me, The Drapry Falls by Opeth, Blood On Verona by Dawn Of Tears, In The Groves Of Death by Insomnium, and Rime Of The Ancient Mariner by Iron Maiden. Thats at one per band
    I like them for several reaons. I am a guitarist so I like complexity in songs. I find that longer songs have to keep you on your toes and take much more work from the musicians ad have to be more complex. I feel it also takes much more soul and dedication to play a song that long. Thats lots of reasons but I am tired right now and can't think of any more right now.

• My name's Pires

My favorite bands are Dream Theater, Riverside, Iron Maiden, Tool.

My favorite long songs are:
    Dream Theater - Octavarium , Home, Instrumedley, Endless Sacrifice, In The Name Of God.
    Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner
    Riverside - Ultimate Trip
    John Petrucci - Animate - Inanimate
    Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond

I love long songs, especially with different sounds, riffs, solos, rhythms, volume, intensity... 'cause they bring me a whirl of sensations and emotions along the time, working like a long moment of pleasure. It's also a challenge to the musicians, producing and playing the songs. It's easy make a song with a great chorus along 4'. But it's really hard to produce a long song and make it amazing along 10' or more! There are a thousand of other reasons that make the long songs more spectacular than others. I will leave some to the next comment xD

"The truth is the truth, that's all you can do it is live with it!"

[url=
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 maj 2009, 19:07
    Ahmad's the name

Favorite bands would be.. Opeth, Nirvana, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Nightwish

I love long songs because they surround me with the atmosphere they create and i wallow in the amazing structure of instrumental bits connected together with the right vocals and suitable lyrics..

• My name is Metalucifer

My favorite bands are Sabbat, Paysage d'hiver, Arckanum...

Paysage d'hiver - Welt aus Eis
    Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond
    Darkestrah - Epos
    Sabbat - The dwelling-The melody of death mask
    And so many more

There's no real reason why I like long songs, but a lot of my favorite songs are really long.

The goat is eternal
    Join my "Black Metal Hippies" group!
  • Aenigma here. This group is perfect for me and I'm happy to be here.

I have to be surrounded by music at all times and I love a lot of genres so it is hard to pin anything down.

Some of my favorite bands are Aborym, The Prodigy, Arcturus, Immortal, Behemoth, Paradise Lost, Ayreon, Blind Guardian, Apoptygma Berzerk and Sonata Arctica.

Favorite 10+ minute songs:

Ayreon - Into the Black Hole (Star One live is even better!)
    Ayreon - The Earth Extinction
    Bathory - Blood Fire Death
    Blind Guardian - And Then There was Silence
    Burzum - Tomhet
    Ihsahn - The Pain is Still Mine
    Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
    Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner
    Limbonic Art - Deathtrip to a Mirage Asylum
    Luca Turilli - Prophet of the Last Eclipse
    Mirrorthrone - Ils Brandiront Leurs Idoles
    My Dying Bride - The Return to the Beautiful
    Nargaroth - Seven Tears are Flowing to the River
    Nightwish - Ghost Love Score
    OSI - shutDOWN
    Omega - House of Cards
    Pink Floyd - Sorrow
    Rhapsody of Fire - Queen of the Dark Horizons
    Rhapsody of Fire - Erian's Mystical Rhymes
    Satyricon - Tied in Bronze Chains
    Satyricon - Black Lava
    Sonata Arctica - The Power of One
    Stratovarius - Destiny
    Threshold - Eat the Unicorn
    Threshold - Critical Mass

Two honorable mentions I love but are just seconds away from that 10 minute mark:

Threshold - Pilot in the Sky of Dreams
    Smashing Pumpkins - Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

I love longer songs because I really love epic sounds, depth, progression and emotion in music, and while an artist can get that across in shorter songs I find the really long ones are where the music shines the most.

Euronymous, Dead, Quorthon, Docent, Somnium, Valfar and Vitek all live on through their music! Never forget them.
    • Användare
    • 8 jun 2009, 10:20
    Your Name: Gage
    Favourite bands/artists: Fates Warning, Iron Maiden, Queensryche
    Favourite 10+ minute songs (Added on 2nd January 2007): Suite Sister Mary, Rime of the Ancient Mariner
    Why do you like 10+ minute song: They're epic.

• My name is Rafael Divoz

A lot of Iron Maiden
    A lot of Pink Floyd
    some of Led Zeppelin and Stratovarius

and a lot of classical music (Beethoven, Bach, Rachmaninnof, etc )

)) R : D ((
    • qlacs sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 jun 2009, 20:00
    I'm Peter from Hungary

I like folk/melodic/progressive/technical death metal, original soundtracks, symphonic metal, medieval music and a bit thrash metal.

Artists: Suidakra, Kalisia, Symphony X, Symbyosis, Neuraxis, Exence, Obscura, Gorod, Gojira, Hans Zimmer, Saltatio Mortis, Corvus Corax (Venus Vina Musica forever!!), Necrophagist, Eluveitie, Within The Ruins, Hieronymus Bosch.

Top 10+: Kalisia - Elevation, Thy Catafalque - Neath Waters, Szervetlen, Rhapsody - Gargoyles, Angels of Darkness

I like longer tracks because they can contain a lot of melody and vocal theme and sometimes more variety than other songs.

• Alex Ovenhouse

Whats up everyone? This group seems perfect for me. I listen to a lot of obscure psychedelic stuff from the 60's to the present. I listen to Floyd, Captain Beefheart, Tool, Hawkwind, King Crimson, just to name a few.

I also play in a band / sometimes solo. Our genre of music is similar to the bands listed above, if they were mashed into one. We regularly record 25-minute or longer jam sessions. I'll try to upload some soon.

"The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking."
    - Albert Einstein
    • Sharkuu sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 jul 2009, 14:46
    Your name: Mike
    Favourite bands/artists: Insomnium, Summoning, Agalloch, In The Woods..., Ulver, basically atmospheric metal
    Favourite 10+ minute songs: "Insomnium - In The Groves Of Death", "Summoning - Land Of The Dead", "Skepticism - The Marsh And The Stream", Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness", "diSEMBOWELMENT - A Burial At Ornans".
    Why do you like 10+ minute song: Because it usually has much more variety than shorter songs.most songs that are long are just good imo, I don't know why.

• Hey I'm Jay

My favourite Bands are Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Dream Theater.

Love the long songs as they really give you a chance to get into the music and feel it's depth. So a few of me 10 minute + epic's would be :- - -

Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Iron Maiden
    Six Degree's of Inner Turbulence - Dream Theater
    The Camera Eye - Rush
    Echoes - Pink Floyd

p.s. Great to see so many Iron Maiden and Dream Theater fans \m/

• Your name: laurence
    Favourite bands/artists: rise against, senses fail, dream theater, alkaline trio, metallica, iron maiden, in flames (yeh i know most of them dont have long songs)
    Favourite 10+ minute songs: dream theater - octavarium and learning to live, mastodon - the last baron, metallica - suicide and redemtion(ok its 2 seconds off it still counts!!) john petrucci - animate-inanimate
    Why do you like 10+ minute song: no reason, if i like it, it dont matter whether its 3 minutes or 20 minutes. but its nice to have a longer song with interesting instrumental passages and some variation and not just verse/choruse/verse/chorus.

also id like to mention all the best cowboys have daddy issues/negative space/the priest and the matador by senses fail. its three songs which when played in order are actually one song which is about 9:50 long so its not quite 10 minutes but i think it is a brilliant song. they describe the suicide of a man. the first peice is his reasons for it and him jumping off. the second is a short instrumental which is him lying on the ground. the third is when he is found lying there and in the end he dies.

CLICK HERE!......you won't regret it ;)
  • My name is Teemu and here's some of my favourite bands: Sentenced, Reverend Bizarre, Esoteric and Swallow The Sun

Best +10min song is Esoteric - Ignotum Per Ignotius and why I like +10 min songs.. There is no verse/chorus/verse/chorus on every song.

And the fact that longer songs have some great and interesting instrumental passages and stuff like that.

• Hi, I'm Ben
    My song length averages out at about 3 minutes cos I listen to hardcore punk songs and progressive metal songs. But think of how shit a 10 minute hardcore song would be, and (Mesuggah excepted) how odd 50 second prog songs would be.
    Its not prog if you're just fucking about with the track lengths!

Favourite 10min+ band is probably Opeth. even if they seem to have joined the "6 minute song" pussies of late.

• Användare
    • 18 aug 2009, 18:28
    Hi everybody! ;)

I am Aleksandar and sorry for bad english, i listen many music genres from Neofolk, Folk metal, progressive rock, ambient / black metal / acoustic / experimental . classical ..
    I will mention some favorite bands that have long songs - Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Porcupine Tree, Shadow Gallery, and many other prog rock bands.. then, some black metal bands like Drudkh, Burzum.. or should i say Aggaloch, Opeth, Of The Wand & The Moon, Sunn O))), Kayo Dot..

I always conected long songs with ''freedom'', freedom of expression, journey through different parts of a song, like adventure. I also love to create long songs while i travel, for example, while i walk or travel in car / bus, if i don't listen music then i ''compose'' in my head haha.

• Användare
    • 18 aug 2009, 18:41
    Lol ''Aggaloch'', i meant Agalloch :)

• Hiya! Hey there!

They call me 'Shyft'. Some of my favorite musical projects are Ophidian, Dream Theater, Infected Mushroom, Ayreon, Therion, Venetian Snares, Machinae Supremacy, and The Birthday Massacre. Phew. It was hard to make my self stop typing, there. Some of my favorite ten plus minute songs are This Corrosion by The Sisters of Mercy, Dancing with Kadafi by Infected Mushroom, Mana by Equilibrium, A Change of Seasons by Dream Theater, Octavarium by Dream Theater, and Adulruna Rediviva by Therion... I don't want to spend too much more time thinking about that.

I like really long songs because I like songs that sound like they are telling me an elaborate story- and I don't mean with lyrics- just the way that they sound. Lots of ups and downs. Changes. Progressions. Long songs have these things more often than short songs do. Songs that stimulate many different emotions make me happy (and sad and angry and-).

Also, I try to make what I like. See signature.

I make some kickin gabber. I am Shyft.

I make some outlandish metal. I am Red Ankh.

I make some schizophrenic avant-garde. I am Philopsycho Lawlawlawl.
    • Användare
    • 26 okt 2009, 11:18
    I'm Joey
    My favourite bands are Cathedral, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Monarch!, moe., and Rasputina.
    There's a lot of favourite 10+ minute songs, but my absolute favourite (and first one) is Cathedral's "A Picture of Beauty and Innocence (Intro)/ Comisserating the Celebration".
    I like long songs, because 1) they're either epic, filled to the brim with goodness, challenging, or hypnotic. 2) It's quite rewarding knowing you've sat through them 3) Doom metal and drone have a lot of long songs, and they're my favourite genres. Also, 4) It's nice to see people's reactions to saying you've just listened to a 90 minute track.

• Hi, I'm Kate from Ukraine.
    Don't have one favourite band, but lets say Opeth, Katatonia, Pain of Salvation and The 3rd and the Mortal.
    Favourite 10+ minute songs are "A Scream to Express the Hate of a Race" by
    Mirrorthrone, "Velvet Thorns Of Drynwhyl" by Katatonia and ("surprise-surprise") some Opeth' stuff like "A fair judgement","Master's apprentices" and many more.
    I love 10+ minute songs 'cause there a lot more atmosphere in them, a lot more emotions. You can imagine something like a story or whatever while listening to such songs.

• hi all, i'm jacopo from italy and a i like the 10 minutes and over song because i'm a lover of doom metal XD

• hi all u fap addicts i'm the one and only fatiferum (latin, causer of death, the thing that causes death). Fav bands Immortal, Borknagar, The Project Hate MCMXCIX. and i don't know why i like them they just happen to be so good. Fav 10+ min songs are: Descent into the eternal pits of possession - by The Project Hate MC... Burn - same band, The innocense of the three-faced saviour - same band, Near Dark - by Agathodaimon( over 15 mins of greatness), Menetetty Valtakunta (Lost Kingdom) - by Mustan Kuun Lapset (children of the black moon) hmmm... jaa jaa aha

• Hey, my name is Elvira and I'm from Lithuania.
    My favourite bands and artists are Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Morphine, Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, David Gilmour and so on.
    My favourite songs, longer than 10 minutes are Atom Heart Mother: Father's Shout/Breast Milky/Mother Fore/Funky Dung/Mind Your Throats Please/Remergence, Echoes, Dark Star, Voodoo Chile, I Heard It Through The Grapevine, The Murder Mystery.
    I love these songs, because when I'm listening to them I can relax and enjoy the strength of the music.
    Also, I can't live without music and I listen to it during all day and sometimes night

It's all right letting yourself go as long as you can let yourself back.

Mick Jagger
  • hello!
    my name is Marian, i`m from romania.
    some of my favourite band are estatic fear, agalloch, and are more others
    my favourite song over 10 minutes are:
    estatic fear - somnium obmutum;
    esoteric - circle;
    ataraxie - avide de sens;
    pantheist - don't mourn;
    faal - perpetual solitude;
    ahab - below the sun;
    the fall of every season - her withering petals;
    paragon of beauty - to my unfading sorrow;
    funerary dirge - eternal, and yours
    i like long songs because i can get more concious of it, i have time to enjoy it, or to meditate on it.

Famam multi curant pauci conscienciam
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.