• mrsqrrl sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 jan 2012, 15:40
    It´s better than omnivourism.

• Satzbau sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 jan 2012, 03:29
    It´s better than omnivourism. [2]

At least it shows people are thinking a little more about their diet and the impact, rather than just mindlessly living out a culture of mass consumption.

• Rhyme79 sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 jan 2012, 14:37
    It´s better than omnivourism. [3]

I agree with Satzbau's post above, yes I think pescetarianism is a step in the right direction but the justification seems a bit 'wobbly'. I do wonder why fish are considered as a 'lesser evil' and therefore eaten. Anyone have any ideas on that? Any pescetarians among us?
    Is it purely a health concern, and not a moral one?

"Without The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last.FM Platinum Round Table, the Beatles never would have made it." - Sir James Paul McCartney.
    • paradeda sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 jan 2012, 00:13
    I eat no animal food, "except" when I eventually fish (?) (!) - and I would be OK to pratice other kinds of hunting (I just fish). Do I am a "pescetarian"? By the way, I never understood that kind of thinking "I don't eat meat 'cause it's wrong to kill animals to feed me". My diet does not includes purchased meat (or any kind of food from animal origin) because of all the suffering generated by the way it's "produced" today, all suffering experienced by the animals in their lives, not in the killing itself. And if we really seriously think about the whole picture, without being ingenuous, we can also see that veganism itself does not represent a real solution in this subject. Unless you can provide yourself all of your food, "clean" food, produced in a effectively ecological way (socially/politicaly/biologically speaking) - wich is very difficult to achive, especially when you live in urban areas - you'll be eating vegetables produced in a model of agriculture as predatory, as harmful, as the producing of the animal origin food that we're not buying.

(My english sucks, I'm from extreme south of Brasil). ;)

• Verslie sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jan 2012, 17:13
    I think fish are seen by some to be less self-aware than animals that live on land. Or that they're, in a way, more "alien" than our fellow land dwellers, so people don't feel as bad eating them?

I'm just guessing, I'm not a pescetarian. But if for any reason I was forced to start eating some form of meat, it would be easier for me to eat fish based on those kinds of thoughts.

• NSHPixie sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 mar 2012, 23:11
    I think eating a fish is no worse than eating cheese. There is no reason a vegetarian should scald a pescetarian. Though the demand is so high I could never agree with it, fish farms destroy the environment and local fish populations by obstructing migration routes.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 mar 2012, 04:49
    Bitches

• Skaldr sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 11 mar 2012, 09:59
    NSHPixie sagte:
    I think eating a fish is no worse than eating cheese. There is no reason a vegetarian should scald a pescetarian. Though the demand is so high I could never agree with it, fish farms destroy the environment and local fish populations by obstructing migration routes.

Eating fish isn't any better than eating any other meat in my opinion.
    So, according to what you are saying, a vegertarian would not be any better than an omnivore, right?

• Rhyme79 sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 mar 2012, 15:25
    Skaldr said:
    NSHPixie sagte:

Eating fish isn't any better than eating any other meat in my opinion.
    So, according to what you are saying, a vegertarian would not be any better than an omnivore, right?

Indeed, I agree. As for conflating eating cheese with the eating of fish, well that makes no sense whatsoever to me. Whilst I have doubts as to the morality of taking milk, this does not kill the animal. However eating a fish, well, that's pretty fatal to the fish.

I honestly don't understand the pescetarian school of thought at all (Huh, school lol), and I think it's really just people being dishonest with themselves because they want to eat fish and use the protein argument or argue that a fish isn't an 'animal' or it doesn't feel pain or whatever. I reckon being taken out of the environment in which you can breath, into one where you are left to suffocate is pretty painful.

Compare the taking of a fish from water to a human living in a spaceship with life support systems, and then leaving that environment to enter the vast vacuous expanse of space, no oxygen. Pretty terrifying, huh? Well I'd be terrified if I couldn't breath. A fish isn't going to be very happy or comfortable whilst it can't breath regardless of its cognitive ability to understand what is happening.

I just don't understand how eating a fish is any different to eating any other kind of animal. Someone made a point further up, that perhaps people feel less of a connection to non-land dwelling creatures; maybe that's the crux of it.

TL;DR= Pescetarians are fooling thmselves. (IMO)

"Without The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last.FM Platinum Round Table, the Beatles never would have made it." - Sir James Paul McCartney.
  • Pescetarians will eventually die because of all the pollution and toxins in fish. I just hope they'll all die before the ocean's are empty.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're hard to verify."
    - Abraham Lincoln -
    • dth3tr sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 mar 2012, 20:16
    I'd rather the ocean be less polluted than root for people who eat fish to die. Little of the fish people eat comes from the ocean, anyway.

The fish oil pill commercials annoy me the most. Flax is a superior alternative not just environmentally, but nutritionally. Yet doctors prescribe fish oil for heart health. Embarrassing.

If you polled omnivores regarding their preference, fish would finish a distant third to beef and chicken...so the fact that pescetarianism even exists sort of surprises me. Is it just hipster usually-vegetarians that don't want to give up their Dragon Roll?

• Rhyme79 sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 mar 2012, 14:08
    dth3tr said:
    I'd rather the ocean be less polluted than root for people who eat fish to die. Little of the fish people eat comes from the ocean, anyway.

The fish oil pill commercials annoy me the most. Flax is a superior alternative not just environmentally, but nutritionally. Yet doctors prescribe fish oil for heart health. Embarrassing.
    ...Is it just hipster usually-vegetarians that don't want to give up their Dragon Roll?

I had to google 'Dragon Roll' as I'd never heard of it, and well...

It appears to be a dead caterpillar masquerading as sushi, am I wrong? (No offence intended to sushi lovers or any culture etc.)

Also thanks dth3tr for the flax tip. :)

• SYTL1 sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 mar 2012, 15:27
    What's the point?

• dth3tr sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 mar 2012, 15:51
    @Rhyme79 It totally does look like a caterpillar, but that's just the sliced avocado on the outside. The little brown bit sticking out at the end is eel.

In truth, there are vegetarian and even vegan varieties of sushi at most places. Yet another strike against self-justified pescetarianism :D

• Well I grew up in Alaska catching the best salmon & halibut ever, it was a whole day experience & a lot of fun, & we wouldn't waste any part of the fish, I mean I guess we'd throw out the bones, but I really do miss smoking fresh caught fish in my father's garage. It's really subjective...but yeah, better than onmivorism, for sure.

• They are what they are...pescetarians . NOT vegetarians. Personally, I don't understand how some people can kill and eat a creature that bleeds and feels pain like the rest of us and then go on to refer to themselves as "vegetarians."

I want to be your eyes so you can see what you have done
  • and how is it better than onmivorism? It IS onmivorism

I want to be your eyes so you can see what you have done
  • I don't judge people by their diet but I must tell you I'm really annoyed while people misunderstand the meaning of 'vegetarianism'. I don't know how it looks in your countries and cultures but in Poland the whole nation is strongly influenced by the catholic church and its religion so the most of the people use schemes of thinking which rest on catholic values - no matter if they are believers or not. According to that I really often experience that people think I eat fish even if I tell them I'm a vegetarian (because catholics may eat fish during their "meatless" fasts). And it's even more - there is a huge group of people who regularly eat fish and consider themselves as vegetarians! I just don't get it. How about you? Do you often meet with such distortion of 'vegetarianism'?
    Personally - as a vegetarian and atheist - I just wonder why fish are perceived as "worse" and lower form of an animal which 'deserve to be eaten' (in some people's consciousness) whereas they more likely to tend to be somehow caring and sensitive when it comes to the other animals' harm.
    Although all these disintegrities which I see I can still tolerate it but only if people eat fish and they are aware of this discrepancy between their views on some cases and vegetarians' views. But I find it problematic when they aren't aware. Why? Well, I think that the meaning of the term 'vegetarianism' is a clear-cut and people should understand it in the proper way. I think that anyone can eat what he wants to eat but they shouldn't abuse some terms.

Sorry for the long post but I had a whim to share my thoughts with you.

~ nosce te ipsum ~
  • fish farms destroy the environment and local fish populations by obstructing migration routes.

this is basically the only qualm i have with pescetarianism

• p0rnographic said:
    I don't judge people by their diet but I must tell you I'm really annoyed while people misunderstand the meaning of 'vegetarianism'. I don't know how it looks in your countries and cultures but in Poland the whole nation is strongly influenced by the catholic church and its religion so the most of the people use schemes of thinking which rest on catholic values - no matter if they are believers or not. According to that I really often experience that people think I eat fish even if I tell them I'm a vegetarian (because catholics may eat fish during their "meatless" fasts). And it's even more - there is a huge group of people who regularly eat fish and consider themselves as vegetarians! I just don't get it. How about you? Do you often meet with such distortion of 'vegetarianism'?
    Personally - as a vegetarian and atheist - I just wonder why fish are perceived as "worse" and lower form of an animal which 'deserve to be eaten' (in some people's consciousness) whereas they more likely to tend to be somehow caring and sensitive when it comes to the other animals' harm.
    Although all these disintegrities which I see I can still tolerate it but only if people eat fish and they are aware of this discrepancy between their views on some cases and vegetarians' views. But I find it problematic when they aren't aware. Why? Well, I think that the meaning of the term 'vegetarianism' is a clear-cut and people should understand it in the proper way. I think that anyone can eat what he wants to eat but they shouldn't abuse some terms.

Sorry for the long post but I had a whim to share my thoughts with you.

If you hadn't mentioned religion, I would have mentioned it... Apparently the bible defines meat as anything that once walked on land or something, so fish aren't included in that definition. Science says otherwise though. I'm guessing people also consider fish "lesser beings" because we live in a world where humans are considered superior and animals like cows and pigs (which other religion view as sacred and are forbidden to consume) are mammals like us. Chickens at least walk on land, so they aren't too different from us either. Fish on the other hand live in water, are cold-blooded, and nothing like us, so I guess they're considered lesser. That's my theory anyways.

My personal belief is that pescetarianism is a step in the right direction, but fish are still beautfiul animals that shouldn't have any less worth on their life than other animals.

• Alahderi sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 maj 2012, 21:43
    I was semivegetarian for a year, then pescetarian for another, now I'm vegetarian for about six months. And yes, I called myself a vegetarian before, just to save me a lot of problem. I would probably go and be vegetarian straight away, but persuading my family was a total nightmare and only achievable with small steps. Nevertheless, fish do not have as much developed nervous system and I see killing them as less evil. When I had to [well, I hadn't, but doctor was stupid and coudln't give me different prescription than it said in his computer >.<] take antibiotics in gelatine capsules, I chose fish gelatine over a beef one, and yes, I feel bad about it, but in this case I didn't really have a choice, because when they told me that at Chemist's, prescription was already written. And thing about fish being allowed to eat on fridays is nonsense for me. Like, obviously, as I'm a Catholic, I respect it, but still, I don't think fish should be allowed either. But I also don't really think, that eating fish once a month, or once in two months should stop you calling yourself vegetarian when you make the effort and read all the labels and avoild products like gelatine, which some "proper vegetarians" , who don't eat any meat including fish could not be bothered.

• i dont care what choices people make, its not my problem, but if you give up meat for moral or environmental reasons than i dont really get pescetarianism. when i was first giving up meat i ate fish a few times in the first month til i said to myself "this makes no sense" and i stopped.

the thing that bothers me is when they call themselves vegetarians. theres a girl i work with whos pescetarian and always says vegetarian even though she knows the right term. as far as im concerned, saying you dont eat meat when you do is a flat-out lie. just call a spade a spade.

• Rhyme79 sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 maj 2012, 16:43
    Perhaps society at large is just ignorant of the term 'pescetarian', so people just say 'vegetarian' to avoid having to explain themselves all the time. Maybe?

However that doesn't solve the problem of the double standard that pescetarianism seems to present.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 maj 2012, 19:16
    i think pescatarianism is bullshit,
    im vegan, i see that as a natural progression
    fish are alive, fish meat is flesh and all meat is murder end off

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.