Would you ever dissect an animal?

• Would you ever dissect an animal?

I refused to dissect a chicken wing in health and people said i was being over dramatic but no one will ever convince me to even dissect anything?

Would you dissect an animal, whatever it is?

• I can't think offhand of any reasonably likely scenario in wich I'd dissect anything... but I won't say I wouldn't under any circumstances do it. And good for you. Go ahead and be a drama queen if that's what it takes! It's far better that than to casually view things as being nothing but pieces of meat.

• There are no good reasons to why I would do that.

I'd rather dissect a human to be honest.

• Rhyme79 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 sep 2011, 13:05
    I'm not sure if I would... even if there was a good reason or something useful to be gained from it.
    Is it not possible to learn from books and photos?

I have never dissected anything but I wasn't a vegetarian when I was school age and I DID watch a dissection on two separate occasions of an eye and a heart, both from a pig I think.

And to throw in a similar thought...

Has anyone caught the program 'Inside Nature's Giants'? In case you haven't heard of it, they basically film a dissection of an animal, usually one that has been killed in the wild or has been euthanized (whole other discussion there!)

I've watched a couple of the series and found especially interesting the episode about the cassowary, which is a large flightless bird. They discuss the internal structures and how they can possibly trace evolutionary links to other animals, extinct and living. In the case of the cassowary, it was the first known dissection and was done in order to learn more about their lives in the wild in order to protect them and their habitats. So perhaps dissection in this case is a necessary evil?

The dignity of a dead animal is certainly compromised by filming a dissection, is an autopsy is sometimes necessary to discover how an animal died?

Hmm, I'll stop there for now... loads of discussion fodder there already!

"Without The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last.FM Platinum Round Table, the Beatles never would have made it." - Sir James Paul McCartney.
    • WLDB sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 sep 2011, 14:52
    No. I'd dissect a human without a problem though. For one thing the human had a choice and donated their body. In fact I may donate my body to science when I'm through with it. Animals-I'd never do it. In high school I didn't.

-Wes
  • I see no problem in cutting open a dead thing. When you (or an animal) is dead it can't take knowledge of the fact. It's only shocking for relatives, but the dead person can't feel, think or be shocked. BUT, killing an animal just to cut it open is a pretty fucked up thing to do. If you do that to a human they lock you up and call you insane, but it's ok with animals? What a hypocrite moral this society has... :(

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're hard to verify."
    - Abraham Lincoln -
    • yvonnetb sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 okt 2011, 19:37
    If it didn't die a natural death, no.

I am glad they stopped doing it at my college.

• ugh i admit when i was younger i did. i was morally bankrupt, and now i definitely regret it. i wont ever dissect an animal, besides humans, again. like previous people stated, humans are the only animals that volunteered

• Before going veg I dissection a fetal pig. Back then I thought it was cool and actually volunteered to stay after school to do it as it wasn't mandatory. Funnily enough, I became a vegetarian later that year and am a vegan now. I still have guilt pains every once in awhile when I remember dissecting the pig, especially since I enjoyed it so much. I would never dissect an animal now.

• Alahderi sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 maj 2012, 08:32
    Yes, I would and I did. No moral concerns about it at all - it was a heart of animal, that was dead anyway and as a waste product it would be thrown away anyway, therefore I don't see anything immoral about using it for educational purposes before it was. Throwing it away to the bin bothered me though, as I thought, that it should be treated with more respect, but that wasn't my decision.
    I'm concious of the fact, that if I'm going to study medicine, I would do dissection, because it is important to know how internal organs of animals similar to human look and feel, it doesn't do any harm to them after their death anyway and can't save their life in any way.

• Altruism sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 jun 2012, 10:44
    These animals aren't just 'dead anyway' - they have been intentionally killed. In some cases specifically for the purpose of dissection ('education'), in others they have been bred for other exploitive purposes. What's worse is that what you call 'waste products' are actually products that are sold to universities and thus adding to the income of slaughterhouses. Saying yes to dissection means saying yes to financial support to slaughterhouses and in that helping the practice of widescale animal abuse in factory farming. It's also saying yes to capturing animals from the wild that end up dead at a university dissection table.

• i think animals slaughtered specifically for dissection make up a very small part of the factory farm industry. plus i suspect they are kept in better conditions than normal livestock because the animals have to be relatively healthy when they are killed.

dissection is something that is done maybe once or twice in an average person's lifetime, it's not like eating a hamburger twice a day. and from what i've heard, it can be a very enlightening experience. so for those who want to participate, i dont have any real ethical qualms.

that said, i would never do it because it's gross :P

• nineteen90two said:
    i think animals slaughtered specifically for dissection make up a very small part of the factory farm industry. plus i suspect they are kept in better conditions than normal livestock because the animals have to be relatively healthy when they are killed.

dissection is something that is done maybe once or twice in an average person's lifetime, it's not like eating a hamburger twice a day. and from what i've heard, it can be a very enlightening experience. so for those who want to participate, i dont have any real ethical qualms.

that said, i would never do it because it's gross :P

The problem is that, as it stands now, vivisection still contributes to animal cruelty and it is something that can be changed for the better. However, if individuals continue to be passive in thought and action regarding vivisection, then it is a practice that will continue to kill and mistreat, well, torture, animals.

• Rhyme79 sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 jun 2012, 18:27
    OccultRock said:
    The problem is that, as it stands now, vivisection still contributes to animal cruelty and it is something that can be changed for the better. However, if individuals continue to be passive in thought and action regarding vivisection, then it is a practice that will continue to kill and mistreat, well, torture, animals.

I agree. Unfortunately I think the above statement could be applied to absolutely everything that is wrong on our planet. Vivisection is just one of many issues that people are apathetic about despite being aware of the issue and the nature of its effects.
    OccultRock said:
    However, if individuals continue to be passive in thought and action regarding ... then it is a practice that will continue ...
    See?

Lots of people (most?) don't seem to care about anything that doesn't directly affect them or the bubble they lead their life in. They're just too busy with their own issues. People need to have a wider view of the world they live in I think. Instead of worrying about just themselves, they need to focus on their street, their town, their country etc. Some people do this, but not enough.

"Without The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last.FM Platinum Round Table, the Beatles never would have made it." - Sir James Paul McCartney.
    • Altruism sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 jun 2012, 11:15
    nineteen90two said:
    i think animals slaughtered specifically for dissection make up a very small part of the factory farm industry.

Cruelty on a smaller scale is still cruelty. For the individual animals themselves it makes no difference what they are abused and killed for.

plus i suspect they are kept in better conditions than normal livestock because the animals have to be relatively healthy when they are killed.

That it may well be worse in factory farming does not mean that it's ok to kill or breed for dissection.

dissection is something that is done maybe once or twice in an average person's lifetime, it's not like eating a hamburger twice a day.

True, but again, that doesn't mean it's ok.

And like OccultRock says, it's also about how such a position (being ok with dissection on animals) will affect your peers (and the rest of your environment) in thinking about animals and the way we treat them.

• Alahderi sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 jun 2012, 16:24
    These animals were killed anyway for meat, and their heart is just what was left afterwards, what difference would it make for them?

• Alahderi said:
    These animals were killed anyway for meat, and their heart is just what was left afterwards, what difference would it make for them?

The more use that can be gleaned from tortured and slaughtered animals, the more reason people have to continue torturing and slaughtering animals. For this reason, I try my darnedest to stay away from as many things involved with animal cruelty as is possible and that I am aware of.

• Pimzie sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jun 2013, 12:13
    I never did until college. I am going to school to be a vet tech, and I have to, to learn. I hate doing it and I cry my eyes out after (I cried during the first time, and I got scolded because I was "unprofessional", so now I wait til I leave), so I now understand that sometimes, you have to do things that you absolutely do not want to do. I will eventually be helping animals, so maybe by then I will have a clear conscience? I still hate myself for going through with the dissections, but I tell myself it will help animals in the future. (And I know about alternatives for dissection, and I have talked to my school about it, but they say we need actual hands on experience)

• anima269 sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 jun 2013, 22:40
    If you are European Citizen, please sign this very important Initiative against vivisection and share it with all your friends and family: http://www.stopvivisection.eu. We urgently need 1 million signatures. Thank you! ♡

• There's no reason for me to ever do so.

• Yes. I have no problem dissecting an animal for educational purposes (considering the fact that its already dead when they give it to you, and you're really doing no harm.) I just don't want to ingest it, lol.

• took me some time to reflect on that...
    ... o_O

...well, NO! (sure, there are some theoretical scenarios [like suddenly living in a post-apocalyptic/dystopic world] in which i would be willing to dissect an animal for the greater purpose of learning/training)...

but still, f**k, NO !!!

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.