I have an important announcement to make.

• duuncan sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 jun 2006, 16:19

I have an important announcement to make.

VDGG are the greatest band ever. Bar none.

Discuss

• retuow sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 jun 2006, 12:36
    VdGG are one of the best bands ever. A couple of months ago, I listened to nothing but VdGG albums (well, there were some PH solo albums involved as well). Back then I'd completely agree with your statement. Right now, however, I'm completely into King Crimson and VdGG has been neglected somewhat.

But I cannot choose an alltime, best ever, band. For me, there are four bands I cannot choose between:

1. Van der Graaf Generator (everything!)
    2. King Crimson (from "In The Court Of The Crimson King" to "Red")
    3. Pink Floyd (from "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" to "Wish You Were Here")
    4. Genesis (from "Nursery Cryme" to "Seconds Out")

But as you can see: VdGG's the only band whose entire catalogue I really enjoy. All other band had lesser periods, in my opinion. So maybe you're right after all :-)

• duuncan sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 jul 2006, 19:03

Re:

^ Great choices, one and all :)

Ridiculous flippancy aside, I can't realistically choose a 'best band ever' either. But VDGG are way up there - there's something in the effortless uniqueness, freewheeling musicality and aggressive timelessness that, coupled with their general obscurity, make first exposure an absolute revelation and subsequent listens a rite of passage. It all gets me rather excited.

Funny you should mention enjoying the entire catalogue - personally, I'm all about Godbluff/Still Life/World Record. 18 months and 3 incredible albums at the top of their game.

Mmm, I think I ought to put some on now.

• retuow sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 jul 2006, 18:56
    Quoth duuncan:
    ^ Great choices, one and all :)

Funny you should mention enjoying the entire catalogue - personally, I'm all about Godbluff/Still Life/World Record. 18 months and 3 incredible albums at the top of their game.

I can't really decide which is my favourite era of VdGG... Musically, their 75/76 period is perhaps the best of all, but I really like the intensity and dark atmosphere that is apparent on "Pawn Hearts", "The Least We Can Do..." and "H To He". Their Van Der Graaf period has more of a rocking sound, but I really like the violin parts in it. And what other group has made such an amazing comeback album as they did with "Present"? The only album I don't regularly listen to is "The Aerosol Grey Machine"...

On a side note, I recently created my own "best of" covering all periods and it consists of 4 CD's. You can find the tracklist in my journal (don't know how to link to it). I keep it in my car, so I can listen to them when I drive to/from work...

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.