AmaroK or Rhythmbox?

• megooz sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 okt 2005, 12:09

AmaroK or Rhythmbox?

Since I like the gnome desktop better, Rhythmbox is standard installed on my PC. Personally I like AmaroK better (since it has audioscrobbler support and better tag control). What do you guys think?

• I use rhythmbox

Yes, I tried to run Amarok, but it crashed every time I tried to run it. It may be superior, but rhythmbox does what I need: Keep my music organized and let me listen to it.

It lacks ID3 tags editing and cover display, but it does a good job at getting info about the music you like and through rbscrobbler send it to Last.fm, even if those songs where sent when you were offline.

It can be better, if Amarok goes well on your system, maybe it's your best bet.

• Dave2W sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 okt 2005, 23:21
    I used to use Rhythmbox, but it then decided to not let me play any of my music. Probably because I was running Breezy. So, having heard good things about amarok, I tried it, installed the xine engine, and was happy. So, when I went to launch it for a second time, it went and used up a bunch of CPU and wouldn't load.

So I used beep-media-player :P.

But now I'm happy with amarok (+ xine engine), since it has things like last.fm integration included nicely, which rhythmbox lacks. I'm not sure if Rhythmbox decided to fix itself or not.

• vitku sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 okt 2005, 18:55

Amarok

Though the last.fm streams (or xine) do not seem work yet on amd64 ;-(

• sertmann sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 okt 2005, 21:28
    I use muine, basicly because i love albumart and it has better last.fm support than rhythmbox, wish banshee would support those two soon, as it looks really promising...

All Alcoholics began with milk...
    • megooz sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 okt 2005, 17:59
    Just switched to Rhythmbox. The only thing I'm really missing is the queue list (oh, and also the OSD)

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 okt 2005, 14:11
    I'm using Quod Libet at the moment.. I'd like to give Banshee a go, but can't until I upgrade to Breezy :(

EDIT - realised that was a bit OT, so.. I'd say RB, since Banshee is more like that, I have Amarok installed now, but find it too cluttered and maybe it just has too much power packed into one interface. There's just something about it that I don't quite like.

Redigerat av en raderad användare den 20 okt 2005, 14:13
    • megooz sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 okt 2005, 15:32
    And I switched back to using AmaroK, althogh I don't like it. It feels like it uses too much CPU, although it DOESN'T! To say it otherwise: It's as slow as a dead grandma's ass (is it okay to say ass in here? :-p)

• td_dive sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 okt 2005, 00:25

amaroK

I had the same scenario - much prefer the Gnome desktop, but suffer from liking all the features amaroK provides (particularly now with Wikipedia support, lyrics, etc.) so I went with that.

So far it works pretty well for me although occassionally I suffer sound problems, but those are much more likely due to some incorrect tweaking on my part of the volume controls / sound engine (running on an Apple Powerbook).

As was said earlier, if you're not suffering any problems with amaroK and you like it, then stick with it. If its crashing continuously, maybe look for something that will let you listen to your music for a bit longer. :-)

Dave

• sertmann sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 okt 2005, 10:24
    Just tried out Quod Libet too - after seeing it listed under linux plug-ins, and i must say, it's the best player i've found for Linux yet...

but WHY oh WHY is it written in Python :-/

All Alcoholics began with milk...
    Redigerad av sertmann den 24 okt 2005, 10:24
  • I use to use AmaroK..great program if abit bloated. Tried Rhythmbox for awhile..just wasnt as impressed :/ Eventually I looked for a command-line alternative to those two and found mpd which i now use today.

• I'm using AmaroK under Ubuntu (Breezy). It works ok for me. The only complaint is that I can't figure out how to get the libgoom visualization plugin to work.

I used to use madman. That worked pretty well but didn't do the integration thing.

\__^..^
    "For a Speedy, General and Lasting Peace -- Tax the Profiteers."
    Victor Berger
    Redigerad av MaskedMarauder den 26 okt 2005, 05:51
  • amarok, are you kidding?

its the best by far.

Ron Paul 2012
    • parkerc sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 okt 2005, 04:54
    Just curious, what do you like about Ubuntu GNOME versus ubuntu KDE? I was a GNOME user myself (even submitted quite a few patches at one time) until I tried kubuntu.

• Blippe sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 okt 2005, 00:13
    Rhythmbox has replaygain support!
    Amarok has dynamic mode!

None of 'em has a good tagger.

And foobar2000 is win-only... :(

• sionide sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 nov 2005, 04:03
    Banshee is better than Rhythmbox but all the work which has gone into Banshee should have gone into Rhythmbox if you ask me. To be honest, I use whichever media player is closest to hand or does the right features for *how* I want to listen.

- Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration -
    • cryx666 sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 nov 2005, 09:01

using amarok under gnome

im have ubuntu 5.10 installed und amarok as the only KDE application.
    using gstreamer as output.
    it runs fine. it only needs some libs and not the whole kde.
    for tagging mp3s and other music files i recommend to use EasyTag.

• megooz sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 nov 2005, 20:15
    I just tried installing amarok-xine, and I must say, it now runs fluidly! AmaroK now really IS the best player ;-)
    Only downside is that it displays 'http cache cleaner' when using it in gnome.

As for parkerc: there are enough flamewars in the ubuntu forums about KDE vs Gnome, I suggest you look for them :-) I'm a gnome user myself, and I like the simplicity. Somehow, something disturbs me about KDE, although I can't put my finger on it.

• Mezz sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 nov 2005, 14:43

WOW! Amarok-xine rocks!

Quoth megooz:
    I just tried installing amarok-xine, and I must say, it now runs fluidly! AmaroK now really IS the best player ;-)

Thank you!
    I loved Amarok even when it felt slow (it could take seconds to start playing a track when I click it or skip to it, and the equalisiers were totally off). But now I've just installed amarok-xine, and its fixed all that.

Wooo!

Thank you again :)

• nuliukas sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 dec 2005, 19:06
    Just wanted to note that Rhythmbox 0.9.2 *has* last.fm support. ;)

• brouits sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 dec 2005, 06:58

yet another tagging tool

i tried several tagging tools using gtk+, (cantus, cantus3, easytag, tagtool) and the one i now use is tagtool : it is really simple and powerful : 1st it supports all id3v1/v2 and ogg tags (full ogg, including date of records, performer, copyright..) and it can tag a whole of files at the same time, for example on the album title, or composer. it can also rename files from tags, and tag from file patterns.
    realy, it is easy to use. and powerfull.
    $ sudo apt-get install tagtool

• sionide sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 dec 2005, 20:44
    Since my last post - I've actually switched to using amaroK even though I run Gnome. The main reason being that Rhythmbox didn't appear to be able to handle my collection - it crashed on importing tracks in its library, someone I was talking to about it mentioned that it might be some corrupt mp3s within my collection but amarok doesn't have a problem. I highly recommend amarok anyways..

- Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration -
    • megooz sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 dec 2005, 13:52
    @ mezz: glad I could help :-)
    My collection also has problems loading in RB, same as in Traktor DJ studio back when I used Windows. Strange thing, never knew what was the prob... Anyhoo, AmaroK does the trick, and I thank the KDE development team for that (even though I don't like Konqueror ;-) )

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 dec 2005, 06:41

I'm usually an xmms guy...

...but since compiling HATES ME, I decided to go with AmaroK. Apart from my deep hatred of KDE, it's actually a pretty solid player. The only problem I have with it is, like most KDE apps, it's a bit too bulky and flashy. Still, Audioscrobbler support is built in, and that's all I could ask for.

• billdo sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 dec 2005, 10:20
    Unless you have the K desktop don't go anywhere near amaroK.
    It's by far the best player but doesn't run well on anything but KDE. That's why a few of you are experience high CPU usage as gnone is accessing lots of KDE files as background orerations.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.