New albums that don't suffer from loudness war?

• For something metal, the new Sabbat album Sabbatrinity isn't squashed, there's even a 'warning' in the booklet about it :D

• N3fr0n sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 maj 2011, 13:10

SONOIO's first album is mastered by Alessandro Cortini himself and the waveforms look beautifully.

• julben sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 maj 2011, 21:09
    Blackfield - Welcome To My DNA is excellently mastered. It has a replay gain of -3.3 dB.

Redigerad av julben den 20 maj 2011, 11:10
    • N3fr0n sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 maj 2011, 17:04

Nine Inch Nails

I just discovered that I can mix Nine Inch Nails albums The Slip and Year Zero from the multitracks available… when I'm done, I can post The Slip here, since it's CC licensed. The tracks I finished so far sound great with the dynamics…

• Im amazed that the New Opeth does not sound overcompressed at all, really true 70s Prog Rock sound :)

I listen to it on stream until it is released: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.de/page/webwheel+opeth

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 sep 2011, 20:12
    i am still looking forward to the new Opeth output. Hopefully they do a great job on this album

• cholero sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 sep 2011, 22:51
    Morcheeba - Blood Like Lemonade
    has great dynamics!

Redigerad av cholero den 26 sep 2012, 09:36
    • Användare
    • 29 sep 2011, 17:17
    • cholero sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 nov 2011, 12:21
    Wild Beasts - Smother has DR10. This is quite high compared to todays Rock/Pop Releases, sadly.

• For those looking for something a little bit more metal that has decent dynamics I would recommend the Swedish Atmospheric Black Metal band Skogen. I have both of their albums on CD (Vittra and Svitjod) and they are not too harsh to listen to at all in my opinion. I do think they could be better, but I dream for a world where everything has at least a DR of 11 or higher. (These two records are 9 & 10)

I would also recommend checking out Faith No More's "Angel Dust" re-release through Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs.

• Användare
    • 6 feb 2012, 09:40
    • Användare
    • 11 mar 2012, 17:44
    Monolake's newest album Ghosts sounds simply great.

• tonique sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 mar 2012, 19:24
    Tori Amos's Night of Hunters has DR 11, which is good enough. The style is heavily classical-oriented, and the album was even published by Deutsche Grammophon.

• cholero sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 apr 2012, 20:24
    Very happy about this one: Jack White - Blunderbuss. It is known that JW is a sound quaility lover (check out the high quality master for the Vinyl of The White Stripes - Icky Thump)
    Dynamic Range : DR11

• cholero sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 sep 2012, 09:40
    Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve…
    A good Singer/Songwriter Album with decent sound quality. DR11

• Re:New albums that don't suffer from loudness war?

relu84 said:

(...) the latest Iron Maiden album, A Matter Of Life And Death. The producer, Kevin Shirley, mixed the album and decided (with the band) that it sounds good enough and they did not do mastering

(...)

-- Przemek

What is "mastering" ?

• cholero sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 jan 2013, 20:00

Re: Re:New albums that don't suffer from loudness war?

bertrand-escaff said:
    What is "mastering" ?

see Audio Mastering on Wikipedia

• Daft Punk's new Single has DR8!
    Sounds unusual dynamic for a 2013 Pop/Dance release.

• DjCuervo sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 maj 2013, 14:32
    relieved to know the new daft punk album wasnt butchered by the label(?)

dynamic range in the upper 7's.

[center]
    [/CENTER]
    • DjCuervo sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 maj 2013, 14:39
    Proceed_Ger said:
    Daft Punk's new Single has DR8!
    Sounds unusual dynamic for a 2013 Pop/Dance release.

8 sounds about right. thats the result i got when i tested my 'get lucky' single (24 bit flac).

daft punk fans, i recommend the collaborators series on youtube,
    its got insight on the making of r.a.m..

[center]
    [/CENTER]
    • cholero sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 jul 2013, 10:29
    Random Access Memories sounds splendid on vinyl

IMHO better than the 96/24 release from hdtracks
    This is one of the few vinyl rips I tolerate in my music collection.
    I don't consider DR-mesurement of vinyl rips as accurate because of pops and distortion so I don't recommend to compare the values in this case.

• cholero sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 jul 2013, 10:31
    Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle

A good Singer/Songwriter Album with decent sound quality. DR11

• rettrou sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 jul 2013, 14:53
    IMHO better than the 96/24 release from hdtracks
    This is one of the few vinyl rips I tolerate in my music collection.
    I don't consider DR-mesurement of vinyl rips as accurate because of pops and distortion so I don't recommend to compare the values in this case [Random Access Memories].

I guess pops and clicks don't affect DR that much, unless they're all over. Often they are deleted with some software. And distortion should rather decrease the DR values, right?

And I guess there aren't many pops on a new vinyl LP (was there?).

• cholero sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 jul 2013, 20:46
    rettrou sagte:
    I guess pops and clicks don't affect DR that much, unless they're all over. Often they are deleted with some software. And distortion should rather decrease the DR values, right?

And I guess there aren't many pops on a new vinyl LP (was there?).

Well I guess that you're right in all points. But the main point for me is that the measurements of the dynamic range of a vinyl rip can differ from a vinyl rip of the same release depending on the condition of the vinyl and the equipment. Also software processing like declicking can change the DR value. That's why I don't like measuring of rips that much. To be honest I also do DR analysis of the vinyl rips to compare them to digital releases, I just don't take this DR-values as a fact.

You made me curious to find out how much declicking of a vinyl rip affects the DR value. Unfortunately I think that I've already declicked all my own rips so I can't do the test with my own rips. When I will have a result one day I will write you if you're interested.
    Thanks for your input!
    cholero

And sorry for the off topic to everyone

• Good News for Loudness War opponents: The newly mixed "Vapor Trails" (Rush) and the new Fates Warning both sound amazing. :-)

Edit: The new Gorguts also does. This year is pretty great overall.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.