Most Underated/Overated Aussie Group

• burgeo sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 jul 2007, 10:49

Most Underated/Overated Aussie Group

Just wondering which bands people would put in these categories. I'll throw my hat in the ring and say Screamfeeder are criminally under rated and Powderfinger are over rated for the simple fact there last 4 albums sound exactly the same.

• DO_71 sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 aug 2007, 13:53
    here here on powerderfinger - totally overrated, also overrated are the grates in my opinion.
    most underrated is The Black Eyed Susans.

"As far as I'm concerned 'art' is just short for 'arthur'." Keith Richards
  • i agree with you about the grates.
    they aren't really all that good

• most underrated are zombie ghost train and red riders, most overrated? hilltop hoods and powderfinger for sure

~Sink your teeth into the flesh of midnight, Night forever more, let them see it has begun, The others I’ve become~
    • Tenozuma sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 aug 2007, 11:20
    Powderfinger aren't overrated. Granted Dream Days at the Hotel Existence wasn't that good, but Everything from Double Allergic to Vulture Street was great. The step from Double Allergic to Internationalist was huge, the step from Internationalist to Odyssey was great. They reinvent themselves with every album. Won't hear a word against them. :P

Most underrated overseas I'd say the living end, most underrated here... not sure. Powderfinger never had any measure of success in America either.

Most overrated... Jet. Definitely and without a doubt.

"I find that ducks' opinion of me is very much influenced over whether or not I have bread."
  • Yeah, Jet were alright, but the hype was grossly disproportionate to their ability, I'd also put Wolfmother into this category (ie good, not great but over-hyped). Most underrated, I'm gonna go with the Vines, they've had a bit of exposure, but never really sold as well as they should have. I'm kind of back into them atm, so I reserve the right to change this :P.

• Under rated? Glasshouse, Brisbane band. Brilliant music but not nearly as popular as they should be.

Overrated? I don't think I can say anything without being criticised.

• Lexman91 sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 sep 2007, 01:12
    Uhh underrated Karnivool or Mammal :) overrated... hmm Wolfmother? and how come architecture in Helsinki is the most tagged as 'Australian' when most australians have never heard of them

• Lexman91 sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 sep 2007, 01:13
    Uhh underrated Karnivool or Mammal :) overrated... hmm Wolfmother? and how come Architecture in Helsinki is the most tagged as 'Australian' when most australians have never heard of them

• Tenozuma sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 sep 2007, 09:12
    Yeah, I'm going to go with Karnivool for underrated, I really enjoy their songs but they have no mainstream success. I'm pretty tired of all the Wolfmother bashing though.

"I find that ducks' opinion of me is very much influenced over whether or not I have bread."
    • chiron1 sa...
    • Användare
    • 19 okt 2007, 07:38
    Lexman91: Maybe YOU haven't heard of Architecture In Helsinki but an awful lot of the rest of the world has. They're among the very top indie bands on the international scene at the moment. Not bad for a quirky band from Fitzroy, Melbourne.

• same with the lucksmiths. brilliant band. huge following overseas but you don't see them nominated for ARIAs.
    too many underrated bands to name. bluebottle kiss, glide, gaslight radio, john reed club, sounds like sunset, tucker bs to name a few.

MEH!
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 okt 2007, 11:14
    lots of yous feel that powderfinger is overrated i disagree with you completly, i really enjoy their music.they are one of the most successful bands to ever come out of aus and that didn't happen by mistake.i know i'll get critized but.... i think that if they make catchy songs with good lyrics why shouldn't they get credit for it?

• underrated - Karnivool. the brilliance of this aussie band really doesn't compare to the small amount of exposure they get.
    overrrated...I won't say Silverchair as a group, but definately Silverchairs new album. It really doesn't compare to the quality of Diorama or their previous albums, and people are labelling it as brilliant just because its different from what they usually produce

• ed_d sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 nov 2007, 23:09
    There are too many underrated Aussie bands. One that comes to mind are The Fauves. Overrated, I guess you just have to look at what commercial radio will play. Jet, Rogue Traders...

If you're interested in Australian hip-hop join here -> Aussie Hip-Hop
    Like watching AFL? Then join here -> AFL
    Does commercial radio annoy the hell out of you? Join -> Commercial Radio Drives Me Insane
    Also check out my web site -> http://www.whoopwhoop.com.au
  • Eskimo Joe managed to move from criminally underrated to criminally overrated by abandoing the quirky in favour of the bland.

• Most overrated? silverchair. The travesties of late have more than cancelled out any good done before Diorama. Let's not get on to Paul Mac... Just, don't go there.

Most underrated? Bertie Blackman, The Vines, The Panda Band or The Cat Empire. So much better than the more commerical bands!

• most underrated is silverchair, they just get bashed by everyone but dont realise how well theve done and how they have reinvented themselves, theres no way they could have kept it the same.
    They are a band that make people talk/have opinions, that is how u make a true band.

overrated is obviously tat bad jet, discustion.

• dundez sa...
    • Alumni
    • 20 mar 2008, 13:26
    most overrated - powderfinders sop was eaten up so much by the masses..

underated - The panics ..well they arent underrated as most people that listen know how good they are..but underplayed? god yes.. they should be at Powderfinsger level of success.. but they can be our dirty secret as well..

• crayola_colours said:
    Most overrated? silverchair. The travesties of late have more than cancelled out any good done before Diorama. Let's not get on to Paul Mac... Just, don't go there.

Most underrated? Bertie Blackman, The Vines, The Panda Band or The Cat Empire. So much better than the more commerical bands!

Haha, did you know about The Only One (feat. Bertie Blackman) when you wrote that?

• Användare
    • 5 apr 2008, 07:14
    overrated? I think Jet and Wolfmother definately. underrated.... umm I have to say The Whitlams, their first two albums not so good but the rest especially the mostrecent one, great. :D

• Användare
    • 15 apr 2008, 00:48
    overrated will probs be silverchair

• isanka sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 apr 2008, 17:14
    Savage Garden with darren hayes
    Tina Arena

• scivikk sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 maj 2008, 01:06
    The best comment i saw was about Eskimo Joe who went from extremely underrated to extremely overrated. their first album Girl is amazing, then they just get popier (but i'll still say good...)

Rogue Traders and Hill Top Hoods are also overrated i think.
    do you call bands that are relatively unheard of underrated? i'd love it if Gotye and the Panda Band got more hype.

• Användare
    • 3 jun 2008, 09:33
    Meniscus need way more lovin'

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.