Message from the Last.fm Staff

• Exactly. I've actually invited some theistic type people here for debate and they've outright refused because of the fact they'd have to join.

Their loss. If that's the way they are, we don't need that type of person here anyway.

There's no problem a few frag grenades can't fix.

Cookies for Godlessness
    My Twin in life, love, mind, and music: ISoS
    The snake that cannot shed its skin perishes. So do the spirits who are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be spirit. -Nietzsche
  • Hey, I used to be a member of both ACP and Christians @ last.fm for a while, as well as Christian group! If I can, so can they! I remember I even got a funny shout of a person wondering why I was a member of both and what my religious stance actually was because of this ambiguity.

• Soooo....if the last.fm staff is deleting groups that are "hate" groups, like people against Islam, what about deleting groups that are "pro" something that others might find offensive...say, if they deleted this group, wouldn't "Christian" or pro-Christian groups also have to be deleted to be fair? Or is this just another instance of religious bullying that amounts to an online inquisition?

Antonín Dvořák, Non-Drinkers, and Kauan :) Join if you're interested :)
  • The key word is "positive". Christianity is perceived as something good or positive, it stands for moral values that we all should follow in order to have a happy society (theorically anyway). This is how our society has been built up over time. Being antichristian or Satanist means that you are by default against these values. It will automatically get a negative stamp. Hypocritical maybe, but in some cases extreme fundamentalism isn't accepted.

I am not saying out of thin air either. I've been studying various texts that focuses on Satanism and antichristian sentiments, and this seems to be a conclusion from these studies. Even if they (we) try to give Satanism and antichristianity a positive stamp, which we do by promoting rationalism, good knowledge of science and the questioning of authority and antagonizing the religions who do not stand for this (they are the truly evil ones), the society at large will still perceive us in a negative light. That's how it is right now.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 apr 2010, 06:42
    New group created, The Islamism Agenda, the replacement for MAI. http://www.last.fm/group/The+Islamism+Agenda

My gag is lifted and I started a new group. I've made clear that racist slurs and any hate preaching is not welcome in TIA. The whole purpose of TIA (as was MAI) is to make people aware of islamism, what is is, where it comes from, why it's a threat and how it works. Unfortunately years of sensible and honest articles and discussions got deleted so I'll have to start over again. In one way it's a chance to do things better, on the other hand it will take time to get all the information collected and sorted again.

I also got the chance to create a better name. MAI sort of excluded people not listening to metal which in hindsight was a mistake after many comments from non-metalheads.

• Waldheri sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 apr 2010, 08:23
    Good luck with your new goup! You'd better update your forum signature, it still links to Metal Against Islamism. :-)

Meshuggah: "A combination of the powerful and the avant-garde, the band is as visceral and imposing an act as you’ll ever see and hear, guitarists Fredrik Thordendal, Mårten Hagström, and bassist Dick Lövgren hammering out lurching, monolithic riffs as they headbang in robotic unison, vocalist Jens Kidman barking out surreal verses like a twisted drill sergeant while gesticulating like a puppet on strings. - Adrien Begrand (PopMatters)
    • Användare
    • 15 apr 2010, 09:44
    Oh, thanks for the heads-up... ;)

• Mrbund sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 apr 2010, 18:59
    rock on. I just wonder what there is to say.... a whole lot of nothing IMHO. what I mean is: ABout WHAT do we converse? If we are self-proclaimed anti-Christians then I think we don't converse; we might co-ordinate if we're creating something together or doing something together. Otherwise, I think we all know the score since about 1500 years (whatever, I'm not studying history).

I joined this group as a small act to let other people out there know that they are not alone in this world. I would like for people to not think so cynically despite all the crap in this world.

Mrbund
    • Mrbund sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 apr 2010, 19:00
    btw, Anath, what is it that you want to debate?

Mrbund
  • What do you mean?

I'd debate anything, because its fun. :)

Cookies for Godlessness
    The snake that cannot shed its skin perishes. So do the spirits who are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be spirit. -Nietzsche
    • Mrbund sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 apr 2010, 02:00
    You mentioned above that you invited "theists" here to debate but that they declined because they would have needed to join the group to discuss things. That's what I was referring to when I asked you the question above.

O.K. I see, debate is fun for you. I'm just not sure what there is to "debate" with theists or Christians unless you were interested in debating scripture with them (and you know Greek, for example). politics? social perspective? philosophy?

I don't see any of the above leading anywhere esp. via the internet. doing things IRL with people outside of the workplace would be more productive.

Mrbund
  • It is productive as long as you consider it fun, regardless of the medium that you use. It is also meaningful because even though you may not be able to always agree, you may achieve a greater understanding and respect towards each other. It is also not uncommon for a person to completely switch perspective after seeing that there's no rational or logical reason to hold the beliefs he or she is currently doing. This in turn might cause them to discuss things with with their friends and family, which in turn might actually lead to the world to become a slightly better place to live in. I don't see how doing this over the internet would make any greater difference, especially considering that the internet is a great tool to access a huge amount of peoples. Ignoring this fact is kind of stupid, if you wish to inform people about your opinion.

• I'm just not sure what there is to "debate" with theists or Christians unless you were interested in debating scripture with them (and you know Greek, for example). politics? social perspective? philosophy?
    I don't see any of the above leading anywhere esp. via the internet.

I'd say that the internet is a much better place to discuss these things, as the discussion keeps going and you get a chance to voice your opinion better, since you can actually make a small research first.

Even though it is quite rare for a person to completely change their mind concerning religion through such a debate, they may at least learn a few things (especially concerning science and common misconceptions), or become more open to new ideas.

I can’t think of any greater happiness than to be with you all the time, without interruption, endlessly, even though I feel that here in this world there’s no undisturbed place for our love, neither in the village nor anywhere else; and I dream of a grave, deep and narrow, where we could clasp each other in our arms as with clamps, and I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.
  • Yeah, those instances were already in progress debates in shoutboxes. It's impossible to get anywhere 1000 characters at a time, so the "what" varies with the instance. A few of us also invited Jack000lad here a while back, which was a great experience as he ended up leaving with understanding and respect for our point of view, as well as able to admit that he was wrong about us and what we stand for. That is why I do what I do.

I also try to keep religion away from my IRL interactions.

Cookies for Godlessness
  • they should also delete religious groups too since religion spreads hatred more than anti-religion

Religion is hate
    Religion is fear
    Religion is war
  • general, religion is the foundation of all logical thinking destroyer.

• Användare
    • 20 apr 2010, 18:27
    I haven't been reading or posting in a while, just noticed the issue today. I don't think we've been expressing hatred against religious groups, loathing sometimes sure, but even then, I'm pretty sure we've done to well to police our own group against that sort of thing.

Besides, we've always invited theists to join in the discussions. I think our mods have done a really good job keeping the people who try to spread hate out of things.

I'll never lie though, I'm not an atheist, never have been, I've always made my stance clear. I hate that religion breeds hate. So lets just all make the extra effort to make sure we don't cross the line between criticising what pisses us off about religion and becoming that.

Everyone's probably already said shit like that anyways. Just throwing in my two cents.

• Gnostic, I don't think you can say it too often. The worst thing I know are hypocrites.

• jorrizza sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 apr 2010, 22:16
    LeaTelamon said:
    The worst thing I know are hypocrites.
    Somehow I find that hard to believe. When a piano is about to hit you on the head, hypocrisy won't be the single worst thing you know. Trust me. I've been there.

The awesome link of flaming death, epic destruction and pancakes.
    Warning, clicking this link might cause defects like enlightenment, godlessness and knowledge
  • Jorrizza, I think there's a difference in becoming angry for a limited amount of time and disliking people for a certain behavior as long as they continue with said behavior.

To me that's a bit like comparing apples to pears, different types of resentment/anger. Hypocrites angers me deep down into the core of my being, a guy who would drop a piano on my head by mistake... not so much.

• sarcasm detected

btw, I think he didn't mean what makes you angry; just that a piano (or an anvil I may add) falling on your head is worse than hypocrisy!

I can’t think of any greater happiness than to be with you all the time, without interruption, endlessly, even though I feel that here in this world there’s no undisturbed place for our love, neither in the village nor anywhere else; and I dream of a grave, deep and narrow, where we could clasp each other in our arms as with clamps, and I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.
  • VampyreAngel said:
    sarcasm detected

btw, I think he didn't mean what makes you angry; just that a piano (or an anvil I may add) falling on your head is worse than hypocrisy!

I've had a doctor drilling into my head, does that count?

• db0 sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 apr 2010, 06:00
    Very interesting turn of events. I'm disappointed that the staff would take the path of censorship but I can't say I'm surprised. Fortunately the ACP remains and I imagine this is because of our members-only posting policies which where ironically enforced to prevent trolling and hatred coming from Christians.

However, always remember that even if the ACP goes down for some reason, we still have our website which we can use as a rally point, so go ahead and subscribe now in case you one day come in last.fm and find your favourite group gone. ;)

It is fortunate that what is necessary, is easy to acquire and what is difficult to have, is not necessary - Epicurus.
    Whenever you get randomly killed, the simplest and most logical solution is that it was probably ninja - Occam's Katana.

• LeaTelamon said:
    VampyreAngel said:
    sarcasm detected

I've had a doctor drilling into my head, does that count?

No. Unless he did it for fun.

• My apologies for railing a bit off from the current topic, but I have a couple of questions:

1) last.fm was squired by a company? I saw a post about it on page two. Can anyone give me more information, like what company and the year this happened.
    2) I am "pro" to the cuase of this group, and I noticed this thread. Isn't that thread a bit risky to have on times like this? I mean, I personally enjoy that kind of stuff, likewise I actually enjoy jokes against atheists, agnostics and everything so it doesn't bother me, I am just wondering about the "validity" of that thread towards last.fm's policies. After reading the whole thread, I'm officially confused.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.