Blasphemy is illegal in Ireland?

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 jul 2009, 12:56

Blasphemy is illegal in Ireland?

I just came across this today. Pretty fucked up.

Blasphemy in Ireland

• Poe's Law?

• Användare
    • 15 jul 2009, 20:45
    Don't think so. Someone set up a facebook group for it.

Boycott Ireland

• Oh no, this is unbelievable. Just when I thought my country was secular and well-adjusted, one of us goes and springs this sort of shit. First the BNP, now this?

• off topic:

"Boycott Ireland" - now that's irony for you

Charles Boycott

I wonder if the they knew about Capt' Boycott when they came up with the name or not?

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
    — Guillaume Apollinaire
    "Men and women are the two faces on the coin of humanity; to deface either of them is to devalue humanity." - Pru Goward
    "The Air Force pinned a medal on me for killing a man and discharged me for making love to one." - Leonard Matlovich
    • Användare
    • 16 jul 2009, 19:23
    The same blasphemy crime existed in our constitution since 1961 I think, but was never enforced. the new law is basically the same, still unenforceable (purposely so). they basically had the choice of either creating this useless law or deleting the part from the constitution, which would require a referendum (and since we already have the second lisbon treaty referendum coming up they didn't bother)

• Aaaah, we'll that explains it. as long as it wont actually be used for anything. Thank God. Or not.

• Användare
    • 16 jul 2009, 20:58
    I don't think there is a better description of this type of law than to just call it stupid. It is a stupid law.

You are breaking the law if you draw a picture of Mohammed? WTF? Atheists can't say that god is imaginary? What the fuck is wrong with the Irish government? This is what they spend their time doing?

I thought Canadian politicians were wasting time bickering over easy to solve nonsense. But Ireland now takes the first prize in inane use of political action.

• Användare
    • 16 jul 2009, 23:05
    GnosticSoldier said:
    You are breaking the law if you draw a picture of Mohammed? WTF? Atheists can't say that god is imaginary?

Those blasphemies are still legal because:

(3) It shall be a defence to proceedings for an offence under this section for the defendant to prove that a reasonable person would find genuine literary, artistic, political, scientific, or academic value in the matter to which the offence relates.

Therefore you can still draw mohammed because the drawing would have artistic value and atheists can still argue that god doesn't exist because such an argument would have scientific/academic value.

What the fuck is wrong with the Irish government? This is what they spend their time doing?

I think they gave up on trying to solve the economic crises so had to do a bit of legal necromancy to occupy themselves :O

• Användare
    • 17 jul 2009, 00:25
    I think they gave up on trying to solve the economic crises so had to do a bit of legal necromancy to occupy themselves :O

Crap. That means we might be next!

• Legal Necromancy, that is probably the best phrase to describe a political situation I have ever heard. Genus.

• Cacophonaut said:
    Legal Necromancy, that is probably the best phrase to describe a political situation I have ever heard. Genus.
    +2

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
    — Guillaume Apollinaire
    "Men and women are the two faces on the coin of humanity; to deface either of them is to devalue humanity." - Pru Goward
    "The Air Force pinned a medal on me for killing a man and discharged me for making love to one." - Leonard Matlovich
    • Användare
    • 5 aug 2009, 00:13
    Heres another link to more about this story. I reallly hope this type of crap doesn't become widespread, or contagious to other nations (especially mine!).

Blasphemy in Ireland

• Användare
    • 5 aug 2009, 12:09
    this is so stupid and unconstitutional.

Let's analyze the law (I am by no means an expert in law, but know basic matters of common sense):

a.person publishes or utters blasphemous matter if (a) he or she publishes or utters matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion

Ok, so according to this I can be fined (in Ireland, of course) just for saying something like "In my opinion, after I've read the bible, I think that the god described there is not great because he slaughtered women and children". It would just take a bunch of people to come and say they feel outraged by this claim and jackpot- fine for me, the "blasphemer".

Number 2:

(b) he or she intends, by the publication or utterance of the matter concerned, to cause such outrage."

Please tell me how can anyone know my intentions ? How can someone throw charges against me stating that i INTENDED to cause outrage ? How can that person prove my intentions ? Even if I, for example, say that I intent to cause outrage and someone wants to charge me for this, I can easily withdraw my claim stating that it was an irony, a joke, or I was drunk at that time and didn't know what I was saying, and that my actual intentions were to cause love and harmony between people. So there...

This just goes to show how absurd this law is. It doesn't respect the fundamental principles of law and is a fist in the mouth of free speech...

• Användare
    • 5 aug 2009, 21:59
    Amen.

• "Please tell me how can anyone know my intentions ? How can someone throw charges against me stating that i INTENDED to cause outrage ? How can that person prove my intentions ? Even if I, for example, say that I intent to cause outrage and someone wants to charge me for this, I can easily withdraw my claim stating that it was an irony, a joke, or I was drunk at that time and didn't know what I was saying, and that my actual intentions were to cause love and harmony between people. So there..."
    they dont have too.
    spread the right rumour's, falsify the right evidence
    and burn the witch.

i was in a BDM pit and all I got was this busted nose...
  • Akercocke was banned in Northern Ireland.

"We may hide from horror only in the heart of horror." - Thomas Ligotti
  • Akercocke were banned in Northern Ireland, Sorry my english isn't so good

"We may hide from horror only in the heart of horror." - Thomas Ligotti
    • Användare
    • 10 apr 2010, 03:10
    Crazy, unenforceable law. Until someone actually gets brought up on charges for blasphemy (never gonna happen) this remains firmly in the "shit nobody cares about" category.

• afz902k sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 apr 2010, 05:28
    Weird, maybe they didn't consider Akercocke to have any artistic value which is of course nonsense, shouldn't bands be exempt from this law if they are creating works of art? Or is this unrelated to this law?

I never mean what I post.
    • Waldheri sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 apr 2010, 08:32
    I posted this on the ACP website too, but now that this thread has been resurrected I think posting it here is justified as well.

A new art exhibition, titled Blasphemous, opened on Good Friday in the Irish Museum of Contemporary Art (IMOCA) which is located in Lad Lane, off Baggot Street, in Dublin. It runs until 25 April 2010, and is open from 12 noon to 5 pm every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, or by appointment through contacting IMOCA.

This is the second Dublin art exhibition to highlight and challenge the new Irish blasphemy law, which became active on 1st January 2010.

SInce then, the Irish Justice Minister has responded to the campaign against the law by saying that he will propose a referendum, later this year, to remove the reference to blasphemy from the Irish Constitution, thus enabling the blasphemy law to be repealed.

This makes the new exhibition not just a challenge to the blasphemy law, but also a celebration of artistic freedom, and freedom of expression generally.

Meshuggah: "A combination of the powerful and the avant-garde, the band is as visceral and imposing an act as you’ll ever see and hear, guitarists Fredrik Thordendal, Mårten Hagström, and bassist Dick Lövgren hammering out lurching, monolithic riffs as they headbang in robotic unison, vocalist Jens Kidman barking out surreal verses like a twisted drill sergeant while gesticulating like a puppet on strings. - Adrien Begrand (PopMatters)
    • Användare
    • 20 jun 2010, 18:27
    Now you see what happens when you let christian scum grow strong...
    Let this be a good example for all other countries, to hold the freedom of word at high value.
    And denial of 'blasphemy' is the same as to deny opposing political party. Censorship, propaganda, control, elimination of those with other opinion.. it leads to totalitarianism and ideological domination.

• Ireland

I live in Northern Ireland.

Today is the 11th of July. Tomorrow is 'the 12th' a day of Protestant marching, 'orange men' and the constant (although lessened drastically) threat of violence, rioting and bombs.

Only in a country as divided religiously as Ireland has been for the last hundred years (since the push for partition in the early 1900s) could still be so dumb. Hundreds of virtually illiterate adidas tracksuit wearing fools parading their particular church and their particular faction, just as an excuse to fight, gain gang territory and sell drugs.

Religion is hate, fear and war, and Ireland is just another piece of the ridiculous pie.

• Its illegal in Poland to Gorgoroth almost got in trouble for it.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.