News and Current Events

• News and Current Events

How about instead of making a new thread for every news story, we consolidate and post them here as they come up!

Focus is primarly on religion, but anything is game.

Stumbled upon this nonsense today.

This is the sort of filth that really pisses me off.

There's no problem a few frag grenades can't fix.

Cookies for Godlessness
    My Twin in life, love, mind, and music: ISoS
    The snake that cannot shed its skin perishes. So do the spirits who are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be spirit. -Nietzsche
  • Very hard for me to comment anything about it, because I know that hese people naturally got a different view on what women's liberation means and that is not always at all in agreement with our Western views. I'd like to hear what some other people think about it but there was no interview so.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 apr 2009, 19:33
    Was looking up news sites today to keep up with the events when I came across a hilarious article on Islam.

Mecca mosques 'wrongly aligned'

Some 200 mosques in Islam's holiest city, Mecca, point the wrong way for prayers, reports from Saudi Arabia say.

All mosques have a niche showing the direction of the most sacred Islamic site, the Kaaba, an ancient cube-like building in Mecca's Grand Mosque.

But people looking down from recently built high-rises in Mecca found the niches in many older mosques were not pointing directly towards the Kaaba.

Some worshippers are said to be anxious about the validity of their prayers.

There have been suggestions that laser beams could be used to make an exact measurement.

Tawfik al-Sudairy, Islamic affairs ministry deputy secretary, downplayed the problem in remarks quoted by the pan-Arab newspaper al-Hayat.

"There are no major errors but corrections have been made for some old mosques, thanks to modern techniques," he said.

"In any case, it does not affect the prayers."

Source

• Hehehe because facing the right way really influences god...That cube is damned important, and if you don't face it, you will not be heard...Thus spake the lord!

Antonín Dvořák, Non-Drinkers, and Kauan :) Join if you're interested :)
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 apr 2009, 18:37
    The stone is in fact a telepathic microphone that transmits directly to allah, but it only hears you or hears what you're thinking when the axis of your spine is at a 90° angle with the surface of the cube.

• HA! That is about as rediculous an explaination as the fact the mosques must face the stone in the first place :P

Antonín Dvořák, Non-Drinkers, and Kauan :) Join if you're interested :)
    • Fucio sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 apr 2009, 19:50
    Some worshippers are said to be anxious about the validity of their prayers.

Ah ah! This is really ridiculous!

• In Alberta some nuts want to make learning Evolution in school optional.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/04/30/cgy-bill-evolution-law-alberta-classes-teachers.html

Nonsense. Hopefully it or anything like it is not enacted.

Cookies for Godlessness
    The snake that cannot shed its skin perishes. So do the spirits who are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be spirit. -Nietzsche
    • Waldheri sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 maj 2009, 20:29
    Nor do I. Evolution as optional means biology as optional - not to mention its other fields of study which are reliant upon it a great deal. It is quite remarkable that a minister of education would ease the triumph of ignorance.

Meshuggah: "A combination of the powerful and the avant-garde, the band is as visceral and imposing an act as you’ll ever see and hear, guitarists Fredrik Thordendal, Mårten Hagström, and bassist Dick Lövgren hammering out lurching, monolithic riffs as they headbang in robotic unison, vocalist Jens Kidman barking out surreal verses like a twisted drill sergeant while gesticulating like a puppet on strings. - Adrien Begrand (PopMatters)
  • The Pervert Prophet

Thanks to Scyphe and MAI Group

• ISoS sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 maj 2009, 15:35
    Waldheri said:
    Nor do I. Evolution as optional means biology as optional - not to mention its other fields of study which are reliant upon it a great deal. It is quite remarkable that a minister of education would ease the triumph of ignorance.

While we're at it lets make math optional also and reinstate the Occult Practices with Sacred Geometry. Or physics! We'll reinstate Astrology to make up for the time gap. And how about Chemistry too, anyone into "Alchemy"?

Whoo hoo, real life experience in the dark ages...my dream come true! I can't wait for "The Inquisition Part II" because I believe in such blasphemous topics as vacuum's existing and infinity being used in mathematics.

My other half: Anath
    Read Black/Death Metal reviews here!: Subjected to Metal
  • Anyone keeping up with the nonsense going on in Texas?

Here's an assortment of videos documenting the circus.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NatCen4ScienceEd

Some are amusing, others sad. Look out for nonsense by board member Barbara Cargill, who's looking to discredit everything from the age of the universe to the composition of the atmosphere... AND WINNING MAJORITY. (11-3, 10-4, 9-5, nothing less)

Cookies for Godlessness
  • So you got another issue where ID is chosen over evolution in school?

So glad this never happens in Sweden... yet anyway.

• They're working on setting new standards for textbooks.

Really what they're pushing isn't so much ID as it is this "strengths and weaknesses" mushy language to allow for other organizations to insert their agendas if they deem it fit. They're just inserting four-eight words in different places but its brutal.

Cookies for Godlessness
  • Neurotheology

All Things Considered, May 20, 2009 · Scientists are making the first attempts to understand spiritual experience — and what happens in the brains and bodies of people who believe they connect with the divine.

The field is called "neurotheology," and although it is new, it's drawing prominent researchers in the U.S. and Canada. Scientists have found that the brains of people who spend untold hours in prayer and meditation are different.

Full story: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104310443

EDIT: I live in Texas, and yeah they (to be fair - some) were using the strenghts and weaknesses line to stress how evolution is "just" a theory and so on... you know, like Einstein's General Theory of Relativity... pure speculation.

• Its interesting when people try and make out like theyre just scrutinising facts to devine truth when in actual fact they are poking as many holes as possible into any theory that opposes their own, even if their own has more holes than emmental cheese. I think this is the essence of the bandwagon-jumping ethos of "intelligent creationsim". Its not "right, we have the evidence, now what does it tell us?", its "right, we have an unshakable preconceived conclusion. What evidence can we pervert, distort or fatuously adopt to prove it?"

• Good news for the godless (and I suppose even for those Christians who choose to use grey matter in a critical manner) in Texas.

School board reins yanked from McLeroy
    Supporters say his Christian beliefs cost him the post
    By GARY SCHARRER
    May 28, 2009, 10:40PM

AUSTIN — In a rare rejection of an appointment by the Texas governor, the Senate Thursday ousted Don McLeroy as chairman of the State Board of Education, with his supporters claiming the Bryan dentist was the victim of his strong religious beliefs.

McLeroy is a devout Christian who believes in creationism and the notion that the Earth is about 6,000 years old. He has steadfastly argued that Texas students should be taught the weaknesses of evolution.

The bad news is that the governor may very well appoint a likeminded nut. This is Texas, y'all.

God booted out of the classroom

• A Kansas doctor was gunned down in the name of anti-choice.

Or should I say Pro-life?

At church, even...

Cookies for Godlessness
    • Waldheri sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 jun 2009, 08:29
    Yeah, I read about that. The hypocrisy of the "pro-life" movement. This guy had been gunned down before (in the '90s), but he survived and continued his work. Quite a brave to do that.

Meshuggah: "A combination of the powerful and the avant-garde, the band is as visceral and imposing an act as you’ll ever see and hear, guitarists Fredrik Thordendal, Mårten Hagström, and bassist Dick Lövgren hammering out lurching, monolithic riffs as they headbang in robotic unison, vocalist Jens Kidman barking out surreal verses like a twisted drill sergeant while gesticulating like a puppet on strings. - Adrien Begrand (PopMatters)
  • Have you seen Randall Terry's (the leader of Operation Rescue) youtube statement about the murder?
    A few bolded(self-transcribed) quotes:
    "George Tiller was a mass murderer"
    Even if I thought abortion should be considered murder I would, hopefully, realize that murder is a legal term. If you know of a murder taking place you should notify the authorities - there are laws against it.

"he did not have a chance to get things right with his maker perhaps"
    That's funny, considering that your pro-lifer gunned the victim down in his church.

"every man deserves a trial of a jury of his peers and then a proper execution"
    bumper sticker

"pro-abortion groups"
    I don't care for the slogans used by either side but what makes this one so... (well there just is a lot of irony involved) so... charming is that these people who work so hard to prevent sex education, contraceptives, "day after" pills etc are of course increasing the amount of abortions performed.

"one of the most evil people on the planet, every bit as evil as nazi war criminals"
    "he reaped what he sowed"
    Keep these last two statements in mind when he mentions who really should be blamed for the murder.

"of course we're peaceful, that's why this sticks out. If abortionists were being killed every week it would not make national news any more than crack dealers shooting each other every week does."
    Weak. I think what it makes him is a terrorist. Crack dealers are killing one another in order to increase their profits, settle old scores, etc. rather than to stamp out crack. Your support of those who murder abortionists, and blow up their offices, is support aimed at causing the doctors, their staffs, their patients, and, ultimately, everyone in the society they happen to reside in to fear for their lives should they support the continued practice of a legally sanctioned medical procedure.

"if someone was going to be blamed for George Tiller's death maybe it should be the authorities that let him continue killing babies like this. Maybe it should be the jury who didn't convict him when they had the evidence that he was performing illegal abortions. No, we're not to blame, friends."

• Waldheri sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 jun 2009, 05:16
    Well, it's somewhat an understandable reaction. If you believe that abortion is equivalent to murdering a human child, you'd cheer if somebody who has been "committing" abortions gets killed: 'Kill one to save many'.

• And then it all boils down to why we necessarily must save every human being... again :P The question no one wants to pick up officially on public channels.

Is it just me, or is it actually dying to be asked? (pun intended :D) I would at least personally find it liberating if I saw someone express that we need to worry over our population and maybe start to think of how the future will look like if we start propagating in the speed we are currently in.

• I think the biggest problem with "pro-life" is not its alarming hypocrisy, which is bound to appear in any extremist political camp to some degree or other anyway, but the fact that they think in a secular society it is acceptable to base laws and the reasons for passing them on religious teachings above science.
    First off, if we are going to go down that sins-are-illegal road, which religions get the vote? The popular ones? What if they discriminate against other religions? Which of the massively contradictory different teachings on, say, slavery in the Bible should be adopted? Why should marriage be legal when Islam is more for polygamous marriage? Do we really want to end up back in the medieval religious-war scenario? No, but obviously pro-lifers dont consider that.

I should point out here that I am talking about religion primarily because the majority of pro-life activists, certainly all the ones I have talked to, have based their views on Christianity or some other religion and, by and large, ignored the science and logic behind the opposing argument.

Another problem with their concepts is the absurdity of campaigning ruthlessly for the rights of what is essentially an amoeba and then, (as most pro-lifers will do, statistically speaking) going home for a nice roast lamb dinner. If removing an unconscious embryo amounts to murder than surely so does carnivorism? After all, a cow or a lamb is much more aware and alive than a foetus. According to science anyway, which is obviously inferior to religion when it comes to properly informing ethics. *rolls eyes*

If they want to be really pro-life they ought to try and ban masturbation, or eggs. "What's that there on your breakfast plate Randall Terry? An egg? Nope, its a chicken foetus you sick murderer. You ought to be given the electric chair for your sins. In fact, I think I might just shoot you myself."

• Caco, I have asked the same question and I think they just simply ignore that part. They don't care, they only care about human lives. Yes, you can push it far enough and say that even a woman's menstruation means the death of a human being because the egg was not fertilized, and menstruation is the most natural thing in the world. The reason I am raising this point is that it becomes too hard for them to handle when they actually start thinking of such questions and its consequences as a whole, just like it's too hard for Christians to handle this. Because if admitting they are wrong, they are hypocritical ruins the foundation of why they are believing what they do in the first place. It's much easier to dodge hard questions than actually answering them, and the average intelligence among extremist groups usually isn't that high, I've noticed. Better to be sheepable.

• LeaTelamon said:and the average intelligence among extremist groups usually isn't that high, I've noticed. Better to be sheepable.
    This is the thing though isn't it? This is why nobody should bother arguing with the sheeple, because to begin with they lack the intelligence to understand (and therefore be convinced by) your argument, and because they don't want to hear it in the first place. When someone shirks debate, its generally a sign that they are unable to satisfactorily defend their beliefs to anyone but themselves, and they only justify them to themselves through the sort of delusion you are talking about in that link. If someone cannot defend their opinions then the opinions are not worth anything.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.