• Jesus Camp

I'm sure most, if not all of you have heard of the movie "Jesus Camp," a documentary about a right wing Christian Evangelical Bible camp. In case you haven't seen it, I found it on Atheist Nation. It's worth a watch, and shows the danger that Christianity can pose to youth.

http://www.atheistnation.net/video/?video/00118

• That movie is the most frightening/hilarious movie ever made. It makes me laugh for hours on end. I almost suffocated 5 times.

ME

"As you know, I've never been a praying man,
    I don't need a God to make me feel alright."
    http://www.myspace.com/poemesdemike
    • Arnoe sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 okt 2007, 06:20
    there's a thread about this already, morons.

Maybe.
  • *several threads actually. It seems to be a reoccurring theme here.

My thoughts here anyway... this movie is more scary than 3/4 of the "scary movies" produced.

There's no problem a few frag grenades can't fix.

Cookies for Godlessness
    My Twin in life, love, mind, and music: ISoS
    The snake that cannot shed its skin perishes. So do the spirits who are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be spirit. -Nietzsche
  • I just saw it and I'm gonna have nightmares. I didn't realize that those camps were so extreme and insane. They are brainwashing and destroying innocent children. What scares me most about it is that it's reality and not fiction like most scary movies.

• i havent seen it but i've heard of it. i'll watch it now.

(((***** Don't judge a book by it's cover, judge it by it's content inside. *****)))
  • I think, those camps do not fall under any human rights, so stuff like these camps is illegal. Pope should go to prison))

• Drawme sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 nov 2007, 05:26
    The Pope has nothing to do with it. It's an American Fundamentalist movement thing.

Banning things like that raise a lot of issues (do you have the right to raise your children according to your own beliefs? Does society have the right to compel your children to be raised a certain way even if you believe that way is evil?), but I sure wish it was something that could be done simply anyway.

Talk about a vision of pure evil...

• db0 sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 nov 2007, 09:10
    Drawme, of course the society has a right to affect how you raise you children. Children are very susceptible to their authority figures and having bad parents can lead to all sorts of problem. There need to be acceptable rules for childraising, otherwise people might raise children as sexual slaves or whatnot.
    Also keep in mind that no major religion would be that major if they didn't have the opportunity to brainwash their children into their religion (which is then much harder to discard)

It is fortunate that what is necessary, is easy to acquire and what is difficult to have, is not necessary - Epicurus.
    Whenever you get randomly killed, the simplest and most logical solution is that it was probably ninja - Occam's Katana.

• Thanks for the link

Let me stand next to your fire.
  • Bet these same people would be up in arms if there was a non-Christian cult to start up near them.

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
    — Guillaume Apollinaire
    "Men and women are the two faces on the coin of humanity; to deface either of them is to devalue humanity." - Pru Goward
    "The Air Force pinned a medal on me for killing a man and discharged me for making love to one." - Leonard Matlovich
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 jun 2009, 19:34
    Well, I just started watching this video, and I love how the lady pastor starts her sermon with a sales pitch for some evangelical manual. Pathetic.

• Waldheri sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 jun 2009, 21:00
    Wow, this is an old topic that has been dug up. I've said the following in a different thread about Jesus Camp, but I'll repeat the gist of it here: Jesus Camp is one of the most frightening documentaries I've ever seen.

Meshuggah: "A combination of the powerful and the avant-garde, the band is as visceral and imposing an act as you’ll ever see and hear, guitarists Fredrik Thordendal, Mårten Hagström, and bassist Dick Lövgren hammering out lurching, monolithic riffs as they headbang in robotic unison, vocalist Jens Kidman barking out surreal verses like a twisted drill sergeant while gesticulating like a puppet on strings. - Adrien Begrand (PopMatters)
    • Användare
    • 28 jun 2009, 19:03
    Frightening? This hits way too close to home for me.

My older sister joined the Pentecostal like six years ago. She sends her kids to their summer bible camps. Fuck. I hope that this isn't what my nieces and nephews are being taught there. But who am I kidding? I'm sure they are. Fuck. This video is horrifying.

• Ouch, sorry to hear GnosticSoldier. I suppose having you persuading her is not going to work either. But maybe you should mention a little kindly that some people might want to be able to choose their religious affiliations later in life just like she did, without being forced by their parents to follow religious affiliation X. I doubt she would get it though :/

• Användare
    • 28 jun 2009, 22:51
    I couldn't bring myself to tell her how stupid that church is. But she knows how I feel about religion. I wish she wasn't putting her kids in there though. In our family its always been your own choice you make when you're old enough to care. My little sister was really churchy when she was younger, but common sense eventually grew on her and she left.

It's the talking in tongues shit that really baffles me. Like in the video how they just blurt out totally incomprehensible jibberish, and then they interpret it as if there was something meaningful in the jibberish. They do it a few times in the video, like when they con the kids into faking convulsions.

I don't know why they do that, and pretend it means something, and pretend the "spirit of Jesus" went through them. Talk about reading the bible wrong!!!

Acts
    2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak in other languages, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
    2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
    2:8 And how hear we every man in our own language, wherein we were born?
    2:9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
    2:10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
    2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our languages the wonderful works of God.

It clearly says that they understood people who spoke in different languages. Actual languages. Not random imcomprehenisble nonsense.

This is why I give the Pentecostals the award for stupidest sect ever.

• This maybe a little disjointed, because I am commenting as I watch. Otherwise by the end of the video I will have forgotten what was said and what I want to say:

She actually uses the term '[children]they are so usable in Christianity'

43% of become 'born-again' before the age of 13! That smacks of parental pressure to me.

75% of home schooled children in the US are Evangelicals. Which is incredibly scary when you consider what that boy is being taught.

Sin seems warm and fuzzy when you're a kid? Really? I have no recollection of warm and fuzzy sinning when I was a child. Also she doesn't seem the know the difference between a tiger and a lion. Was she also home schooled?

'We can't have phonies in the army of god'. She makes both Jews and Roman Catholics look like guilt trip wussies. That whole bit is tantamount to just telling the children they are nothing more than something she just stepped in.

How can spiders be disgusting if they're just one of god's wonderful creatures?

'America is supposed to be god's nation right' - er, NO! Even if they was a god, god would not choose one nation over another. Otherwise what would be the point of creating so many different nations?

Blessing Bush! Avarice one of the 7 deadly sins. Bush blatantly guilty of avarice. What would Jesus do? - Grabbed him by the scruff of his neck and cast him from the temple. Surrounded by spirit filled people - I don't think so. More like dodgy oil money in their pockets filled people. If Muslims are the enemy of these people, why are they blessing a man who gets into bed [figuratively] with Saudis. Far more extremist than either Iran or Iraq.

Just in case anyone wants a set of fetus models, here's where you can buy them

'some extreme liberals' - isn't that something of an oxymoron?

Oh the delicious irony: Ted Haggard - "so we don't have to debate what we should think about homosexuality activities, it's IN THE BIBLE'. For those who don't know ted IS gay.

Sometimes I can't help but think that if zealots weren't zealots, they'd be junkies instead.

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
    — Guillaume Apollinaire
    "Men and women are the two faces on the coin of humanity; to deface either of them is to devalue humanity." - Pru Goward
    "The Air Force pinned a medal on me for killing a man and discharged me for making love to one." - Leonard Matlovich
  • NeedleDee sagte: Sometimes I can't help but think that if zealots weren't zealots, they'd be junkies instead.

I think you are sadly right there... at least this is my own experience, but here in germany the people aren't as "extreme" as it seems they are in the US. But still we have a lot of creationists, especially from Jehova's witnesses... and it is sad that some people actually believe their ramblings while there is much proof that their view is simply "mislead".

PS: I just mentioned the creationists for a bit of comparison.

• I don't think there's many that extreme here in the UK.

I haven't seen a JW for ages. Shame, I do like to ask them if they want to buy any life insurance. They don't seem to like that much for some reason.

— Guillaume Apollinaire
    • xcott sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jul 2009, 01:19
    Groups like this can be scary given their concentrated numbers within communities. I'm sure it's very easy to swing votes this way.

• Oh my...I had never seen this before, and I wasn't sure what to expect but I was genuinely scared by what I saw. I stopped watching at about fifteen minutes in, because frankly I have never seen such a crime to reason and liberal politics then the shit that woman was regurgitating. She actually had the nerve to praise Islamic priests that teach kids to become suicide bombers, saying "we need some more of that over here, because excuse me but we've got the truth"...Ugh.

• Cacophonaut said:
    Oh my...I had never seen this before, and I wasn't sure what to expect but I was genuinely scared by what I saw. I stopped watching at about fifteen minutes in, because frankly I have never seen such a crime to reason and liberal politics then the shit that woman was regurgitating. She actually had the nerve to praise Islamic priests that teach kids to become suicide bombers, saying "we need some more of that over here, because excuse me but we've got the truth"...Ugh.

Yeah, it's certainly scary that she raise these kids that way. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them come out as sociopaths or serial killers. I've been watching too much Dexter and I need moar! :(

• Waldheri sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 jul 2009, 11:07
    [Offtopic]

Dexter! I quoted from one of the Dexter books on the Christians at Last.fm shoutbox because wimme started the fiction quoting match again.

[/Offtopic]

Meshuggah: "A combination of the powerful and the avant-garde, the band is as visceral and imposing an act as you’ll ever see and hear, guitarists Fredrik Thordendal, Mårten Hagström, and bassist Dick Lövgren hammering out lurching, monolithic riffs as they headbang in robotic unison, vocalist Jens Kidman barking out surreal verses like a twisted drill sergeant while gesticulating like a puppet on strings. - Adrien Begrand (PopMatters)
  • [Semi ontopic]
    There is a youtube user named SwaNerd who is a 16 ( I think) year old closet atheist, living in a family of wacky pentecostals (except his dad, who is also a closet atheist) who is going to a canadian version of jesus camp (he be from Ontario). He called the Atheist Experience and promised to film some of his camp experiences and call back with the low-down on how his camp compares with that from the film.

Canadian Jesus Camp - ShwaNerd Calls The Atheist Experience #611

ShwaNerd's channel

ShwaNerd's camp footage from 2008
    Between when I watched it yesterday and when I retrieved the link today, the video has been flagged!

"The study of history is a powerful antidote to contemporary arrogance. It is humbling to discover how many of our glib assumptions, which seem to us novel and plausible, have been tested before, not once but many times and in innumerable guises; and discovered to be, at great human cost, wholly false." ~ Paul Johnson
    • Användare
    • 7 jul 2009, 21:19
    Wow. I watched his footage from last year. And I realize what is going here with Christian belief. Judging by that video, all it takes to be a good christian, is to be a total fucking loser!!

Seriously. That is a group of total losers. They get all worked up over praying the way teenage girls get over boy bands. Its seriously pathetic.

We should invent a microchip to implant in girls, that prevents them from ovulating until they pass a certain test, that determines if the offspring will be stupid and/or pathetic enough to belong to a religious group. The bonus for girls, sex without fear of pregnancy!

What a great world we would have if we could filter it from being plagued by idiots.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.