• :D

Led Zeppelin and (old) Incubus are noticibly missing from the artist connections!

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 feb 2006, 21:31

Psycho-sixties

Go back a bit further: H P Lovecraft, Mighty Baby, East of Eden and Love to name but a few.
    Music to take drugs to...the more you hear, the more you hear.

• Irrylath sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 feb 2006, 06:34
    this might just be me, but i love listening to the decemberists while stoned out of my mind. i just turn out the lights and listen to the stories in the lyrics..i find it quite enjoyable.

• Estradashperes wacky lounge/rock/jazz/funk/insert-genre-here is perfect (how ironic) with a cocktail of spliffs to provide the chill, a little e to really appreciate disco thunk, al topped of with alcohol for energy and lack of inhibtion.

The drugs are in line perfectly with this band, they are also really awesome sober...

Just no.
    • Användare
    • 20 feb 2006, 15:14
    Converter, Synapscape, GGFH, Decree, Skinny Puppy, Dead Voices On Air, Hypnoskull..

..I could go on for pages and pages. Although I havent read that the majority of these artists actually set out to write music to take drugs to, they all fit the bill. MDMA, Weed or LSD being my drug(s) of choice for listening to them.

Skinny Puppy on LSD, if you havent tried it you really are missing out. (I'd recommend Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate or Too Dark Park)

• siesta sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 feb 2006, 21:21

aw crap

we're missing so many essential ones... led zep (!!) how on earth did the zeppelin get overlooked ?

but apparently last.fm has a new limit of 200 connections and we're way past that with 342. so in order for me to add someone new i would have to delete 143 of our existing artists, and PRIORITIZE.

i'm gonna save this task for a rainy day, as that sounds too daunting right now for my puny little human brain.

This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence.
  • Re:

Quoth donten:

Skinny Puppy on LSD

...Sounds fucking scary

I realize you just said there are to many artists, but if you ever do reorganize I think Tool and My Bloody Valentine belong on the list.

• siesta sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 feb 2006, 20:02
    mbv are on there.

i'm not looking forward to trimming the list. it's like asking yourself which one of your children do you love the most.

Redigerad av siesta den 25 feb 2006, 13:42
    • Jos4pope sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 feb 2006, 20:05
    Hmm i wonder if any of you have wached/experienced the lemon jelly experience complete with DVD poster postcards and air :) The final track on this DVD with William Shatner talking and a man walking very slowly across the screen through a segmented landscape is definitely something which could not have been done sober.

Not just jockies, all small people should wear numbers
  • TV on the Radio - Specifically the song "Staring at the Sun". Excellent stoned, and my friends listen to it on loop on ecstasy.

Autolux - "Turnstile Blues" is great on anything, and the climactic "Great Days for the Passenger Element".

Secret Machines - Their live show has to be experienced. They are all unabashed shroomers.

Kyuss - Already been mentioned by somebody... but the entire Welcome To Sky Valley album is a stoner-rock masterpiece, and one of my favorite albums ever. I'm not a fan of other sludgy "stoner-rock" either, but Josh Homme's magic touch sets Kyuss apart. Long psychedelic jams that are heavy as hell, but still easy on the ears and groovy as fuck.

Gorillaz - The first self-titled album is great to get high to.

If you take my word for it and listen to any of these, I'm curious to know what you think, so drop me a line and let me know.

• A Northern Chorus
    The Clash
    Brian Jonestown Massacre
    Old Beck
    Black Crowes
    Stereolab
    Dead Meadow (i know someone posted it, but hey)
    Yes
    MC5

I never asked for it. It was given to me.
    So I pour my blood back into it.
  • phish, the disco biscuits, and dave matthews band are not on there....it seems rather essential to me.

you should take guys like John Coltrane and Miles Davis off, because there are plenty of non-drug users who are into them. A lot of jazzers don't do any drugs these days. I happen to enjoy them while I'm on drugs, but the music wasn't really concieved as "Music to Take Drugs to", and their drug use wasn't "taking drugs to make music to take drugs to".

I want to learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi like my father.
    • Användare
    • 2 mar 2006, 01:00
    you should take guys like John Coltrane and Miles Davis off, because there are plenty of non-drug users who are into them

It's not meant to be a list of artists who are primarily listened to by drug people. It's just a list of music that sounds good on drugs (at first glance this would seem like everything but that's not really the case). Plus Coltrane (pre going clean) is pretty much the definition of taking drugs to make music to take drugs to.

• Användare
    • 2 mar 2006, 13:13

Re: Re:

Quoth LucidCognition:
    Quoth donten:

Skinny Puppy on LSD

...Sounds fucking scary

Its one hell of a journey :D

• This is not true. Coltrane used drugs, but most of his fans did not. The jazz scene in the 50's and 60's was not a drug scene as far as the fans go (they smoked pot and drank). A) A large amount of the fan base was European, because they appreciate jazz and jazz musicians in a much different way than Americans do. Not only were the European but they were rich Europeans paying a lot of money to go and see Coltrane and Miles. This is why so many jazz artists picked up and moved to Europe in the 50's and 60's, and still do to this day. B) Drugs didn't hit the fans of the jazz scene until the late 60's as fusion albums began to be released, and even then they were mostly hallucinagins. Coltrane died in 67, and was long since clean. The album widely accepted as the first fusion album (La Filles De Killimanjaro--Miles Davis's second quintet, as well as Dave Holland and Chick Corea) was not released until 1968. Therefore, Coltrane is no more the definition of taking drugs to make music to take drugs to than Frank Zappa. Plus, he made music before he was on heroine, and continued to after he was on heroine. There's a difference between taking drugs to make music, and just taking drugs. Not every musician takes drugs because they think it makes their music better, because it doesn't. They only allow a look from a different angle. Coltrane did not release any music with the intent that the listener should be on Heroine when they heard it. In fact, Coltrane kicked Heroine in April of 1957, right before releasing his first solo album, so he didn't even release any solo music as a drug user. He was a sideman the entire time he used H with Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk.

• Användare
    • 2 mar 2006, 23:01
    I suggest Kingston Wall and King Crimson to be added to the list. These bands just wowed me months ago and I haven't been able to stop listening to them ever since. Whenever I listen to them, whether sober, stoned, on shrooms or XTC or whatever, it's just about impossible to stop me from closing my eyes and smiling all the way through - and that's not the drugs' doings.

• siesta sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 mar 2006, 09:16

Re:

Quoth GreatGigInSky:
    This is not true. Coltrane used drugs, but most of his fans did not. The jazz scene in the 50's and 60's was not a drug scene as far as the fans go (they smoked pot and drank). A) A large amount of the fan base was European, because they appreciate jazz and jazz musicians in a much different way than Americans do. Not only were the European but they were rich Europeans paying a lot of money to go and see Coltrane and Miles. This is why so many jazz artists picked up and moved to Europe in the 50's and 60's, and still do to this day. B) Drugs didn't hit the fans of the jazz scene until the late 60's as fusion albums began to be released, and even then they were mostly hallucinagins. Coltrane died in 67, and was long since clean. The album widely accepted as the first fusion album (La Filles De Killimanjaro--Miles Davis's second quintet, as well as Dave Holland and Chick Corea) was not released until 1968. Therefore, Coltrane is no more the definition of taking drugs to make music to take drugs to than Frank Zappa. Plus, he made music before he was on heroine, and continued to after he was on heroine. There's a difference between taking drugs to make music, and just taking drugs. Not every musician takes drugs because they think it makes their music better, because it doesn't. They only allow a look from a different angle. Coltrane did not release any music with the intent that the listener should be on Heroine when they heard it. In fact, Coltrane kicked Heroine in April of 1957, right before releasing his first solo album, so he didn't even release any solo music as a drug user. He was a sideman the entire time he used H with Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk.

Thanks for this. I'm going to start pruning down the connections list and picking off artists. Skimming through, there are even less substantial artist connections who were at one point connected just because they made a drug reference in a song - but neither sound good on drugs or take drugs to help them make music. Those ones are going to come off first before John Coltrane and Miles Davis.

Anyway I don't think I'm going to edit too much out, and I don't think we need to get too serious about it... Other groups like Extensive Music Taste currently have 1900+ connections, and I really have no idea what their criteria are (other than "this is what we listen to")... Maybe we'll get it down to 200 someday, but I don't see the point of doing this if other groups don't.

• siesta sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 mar 2006, 09:31

oh yeah

You can keep suggesting artist connections if you want, but realise that the system is refusing any more additions to the connections list until we trim it down to 199. Even then, we can only add like... 1 new artist.

Its better to leave the connections as-is for now... In the meantime, the forum could totally use some new games, articles...

• you should take guys like John Coltrane and Miles Davis off, because there are plenty of non-drug users who are into them.

It would be a great injustice taking Miles Davis off that community. For instance take the Miles Davis's Bitches Brew, you don't even have to listen the music, just look at the cover, it's mindblowing! But obviously the so-called european jazzers hated this album, and all the stoned hippies loved it!

what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?
  • Try
    ~ Do Make Say Think
    ~ Animal Colective
    ~ Frou Frou
    ~ Devendra Banhart
    ~ Royksopp
    ~ The Notwist

there some of the few i like when im high

+Black Eye / Burnt Thumb
    -Microwave Meet Your Maker
  • opiumeater: Miles is more understandable than Coltrane. Although he kicked H in '54, he never left the drug scene for good. His friendship with Hendrix, experimentation with hallucinagens, and speculated cocaine use in the 70's make him a pretty decent candidate. As you say, Bitches Brew is mindblowing, both musically and the album art, and that was only followed by albums like On the Corner, Tribute to Jack Johnson, and Dark Magus (also all trippy as fuck).

I took a class last year called "The Music of Miles Davis" and we watched some footage of the Bitches Brew tour. There were Grateful Dead style hippies twirling in the audience. Keith Jarrett (one of the keyboardists) was wearing sunglasses and was clearly tripping face on stage. The entire atmosphere was trippy. Definitely understand where your coming from on Miles.

• x__Kat sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 mar 2006, 09:52
    My favourite records when stoned:
    Well, I know 'The Labrinyth' isn't TECHNICALLY a record, it's pretty damn trippy. David Bowie in his finest tight pants just tripped me out to the days.
    Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall (the movie but the record is amazing)
    Bob Marley - of course. I know this has been mentioned but just to re-iterate.
    Everclear (just a few songs)
    The Smiths
    The Prodigy.

I went to a major musical festival and watched the Living End while stoned.
    That was very fun.
    But I was hullicinating as well at the time.
    So it was awesome just trying to pick out the bass.

• tammyos sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 mar 2006, 00:34
    Ok, so yeah, you have to trim down. Personally, there are hundreds of groups that you can listen to when on drugs and most will be great, but you should focus onto the ones that you MUST be stoned or whatever to listen to.
    For example, I don't think Afroman should be on the list, it's too direct, it's got be more subliminal, more in the mood or tone of the song. Well, actually it's just that I don't like Afroman buyt that's just me, heh.

Pity I was too late to suggest any groups, BUT, same as everyone else probably, I MUST sugest one. How can I make mine sound more convincing than the rest? NO clue. But I was really shocked to see that
    The Cramps
    weren't on the list. I mean, they deserve it right? Lux Interior is the best for drugs...specially some like "Like a bad girl should" or any from the album "Psychedelic jungle" or SO many others...

So yeah.

PD: what's your job, mr.siesta, just curiosity?

• tammyos sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 mar 2006, 00:37

PD:

PD: AND by the cramps, the song "I can't hardly stand it" is SO in here.

• DustinH sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 mar 2006, 04:35
    Yeah.. this is pretty cool so I joined.. cause it's with fellow stoners, and that's cool.

Let's see.. something that hasn't been mentioned yet... uhhh..

Tool at times
    Infected Mushroom
    Dream Theater
    Crystal Skulls
    The Advantage
    Moby

That's not the best of the best... most of the best have already been mentioned.. I'll think of some more later when I feel like it.

Edit: Dinosaur Jr., add him to the list, he's great.

Feed Your Head
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.