Event charts

• cgo2 sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 maj 2010, 06:19

Event charts

Hi guys,

I use extensively the Last.fm "Events" feature to keep track of the gigs where I've been, so I thought it would be cool to have a tool to create charts and stats about it, like my concert history, countries where I've been, artists seen live, and so on. I search for a tool like, but unfortunately I didn't find anything, so eventually I ended up writting my own. :-)

For the moment it's a small thing, but I'm looking for for ideas/feedbacks. The website is available here: http://eventcharts.cloudconnected.fr

Generated charts looks like that (example based on my account):

Concert history

Concert world map

What do you think? Any feedback and constructive criticism is very appreciated. :-)

Find out who are your concert buddies with Event Charts: http://build.last.fm/item/501
    • cgo2 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 maj 2010, 06:53

Update

Hi,

I updated the app to add charts and new features. New charts include the top artists most seen live, and events repartition by day of week (a little bit useless, but it's interesting to see which day of week is your favorite, if you attend events more often during week days or week-end, etc.). Example:

Most seen live

The most important new feature is the ability to find out your concert buddies, by looking through all the attendees of the events you went to, and searching for the users that have the most events in common with you.

It also now makes the difference between concerts and festivals, so you can generate charts based on concerts only, or festivals only. I used the Last.fm definition of a "festival" : more than 1 day long, or more than 5 artists.

And last but not least, I added extra stats about your habits, because stats are fun!

Let me know if you like it. I hope I'll have more feedbacks this time. ;-)

Cheers

Find out who are your concert buddies with Event Charts: http://build.last.fm/item/501
  • Here's some positive feedback! :D I quite like these statistics, 'cause I also think the events feature on this site is really super handy when it comes to keeping track with all the concerts and festivals I've been to.
    It's looking very good already, is it perhaps possible to make the Most Seen Live list longer? Longer as in until the list ends up to the first artists you've only seen once. :)

Concert history

Concert world map

Most seen live

Events by day

• Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 26 maj 2010, 23:10
    Awesome, nice work! The concert buddies thing is great.

The main issue is that we need a way to say which bands we did or didn't see at each event. I only saw The Bludgers 7 times because I left one event early, and I only saw This Theory Of Static 4 times because I got to one event late. At a multi-stage festival, you will only see a fraction of the bands. Maybe you could have a custom text box where we can type something like "-1=The Bludgers, -1=This Theory Of Static".

It would be great if this was 300px wide, to fit those long band names. Also, like Buckobucko says, it would be good if we could make it longer. Maybe by choosing the number of artists to show.

One thing I'd really like is a custom text box where I can write a list of artists to exclude from the seen live chart. I'd use it to exclude the artists from my own country and get a chart of the international artists I've seen the most. The most times I've seen a band from a different country is 3, so my chart would change completely. This feature could be used for excluding artists of certain countries or genres or anything else people want to hide. :P

Ideas for more extra stats:
    - the number of artists from your overall top 50 chart that you've seen live
    - average number of events per year
    - the venue you've been to the most times
    - your top month, for example "top month is February 2010 with 9 events"
    - your top week, for example "top week is 22nd Feb-28th Feb 2010 with 6 events" (assuming a week starts on a Monday).

Lastly, people who have been going to events for a long time have a very squished chart. Example. Maybe you could make the blue numbers smaller, and only show labels for every 5th year in this case.

• Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 24 jul 2010, 03:21
    Found a bug: this page says the user has 22 events in common with me, but my page says I have only 21 events in common with the user. I think it's because he's marked one upcoming event as a 'maybe'.

• excellent

Hi!

Like you said before, i'm trying to have something like this since the first day i use lastfm!!! NICE JOB!!!

I'm not very familiar with Lastfm API, but maybe i can help you with this.

I think the main problem is the output lenght, which is very small... _For example, in my case, only from 1999 it's so difficult to read:

Concert history

Create your own event charts

Same for the map, specially because in my case it's only across europe:
    Concert world map

About the list of seen i'm not agree with the guys reporting bugs

1) It's very difficult to identify if you see or not a band on a festival. Maybe the text box to say how many times you should rest from the total, but i think it's ok like this.

2) I think that the stats are ok showing only the "Attended" events and not the "maybes".

Mine:
    Most seen live

My summary:

- Bigger pics and longer chart.
    - More chart options: Countries, Venues, Cities?
    - The best will be to have a list of events by band if we clicked, but that's should be something really hard...

GREAT JOB

• Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 7 feb 2011, 20:28
    ^You've been busy lately!

The world map isn't too bad, but it's extremely difficult to see that I've been to an event in Switzerland. The pink and white are a bit close in colour, and it might be better if there were no grey lines.

mrbungle_ said:
    1) It's very difficult to identify if you see or not a band on a festival.
    I've never had a problem with that.

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 feb 2011, 04:00
    Wow this one is great! I like it a lot. It makes me remeber those good days in 2009 when I went to U.S. an attended to a ton of concerts :D ooh good times.

About your tool , Im going to link it in the overview. I know I'm more than half of a year late. But you should have sent me a message or something...

Anyway great work, very creative, fun and informative.

• Hey,
    I love the idea, but for some reason it's quite buggy for me. It lists some bands I've never seen (because of festivals, I assume, but then it lists them even when I choose "only concerts") and doesn't some of my top seen live bands at all... Are you still working on it? Were there some API changes?

• Ah, it also lists the events I had down as "Maybe" as ones I went too :/

• Event Tracker does not count multiple performance by band at same event.

Events Tracker (Needs to select whether band plays more than once for same event) Not being counted currently
    So I have an add-in on my page that counts the number of times I've seen bands on my events history and it lists the top bands I've seen by number of shows. However, the logic within the events page (CODE) does not count more than 1 performance per event when some bands play more than once per listed event.

Examples:

1) Pearl Jam played twice at the PJ20 Festival in East Troy, WIS bacn in 2011. The band played twice, I saw them twice.... the tracker counted this a one performance for the two day festival.

2) Weezer Cruise 2012. I Weezer play 3 times on this four day cruise and I saw Dinosaur Jr. play 2 times on this four day cruise. The events tracker logged one performance for each.

I think you get the point. Who-ever writes the code for this needs ro include a drop-down or option to select whether a particular band is playing more than one time per event. I see the drop-down add on as an easy fix.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this issue, and sorry for being anal. I just want to easily keep track of how many times I've seen some of my favorite bands and it's hard to do that when I have to job my memory for performaces that were not counted.

Top Concerts that I've been to:
    1) Metallica 30th Anniversary Shows at the Fillmore (2011) Shows 2, 3 and 4
    2) PJ20 Pearl Jam's 20th Anniversary Shows in East Troy, WI. (Labor Day Weekend 2011)
    3) Foo Fighters/Ween/Jawbreaker in San Francisco 04/29/96 (First Concert)
    4) Lollapalooza 96' in San Jose, California 08/02/96
    - Metallica, Soundgarden, The Ramones, Screaming Trees, Rancid, The Melvins, Devo and more
    5) Weezer Cruise 2012 (Weezer, Dinosaur Jr., Sebadoh, J. Mascis, Lou Barlow etc.)
    6) Descendents, Hot Water Music, Endless Monster in Denver, Colorado 01/28/12
    • Vauncey sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 okt 2013, 11:11
    This is great and something I have been looking for!
    But it is not quite perfect :-/

I would like to see the Most Seen Live bands list updated when I click "Only Concerts". The list is incorrect because of some festivals where I didn't actually see that band.

Game boy since 1974
  • Hey, i like the idea, but when I enter my last.fm name, i just immediatly get a white screen, and i've been staring at it for 20 minutes. I know it sais i need to be patient, but surely it doesnt take that long? :)

• U.S. States

It would be cool if you could separate the U.S. into the different states.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.