Shameless Wavegraph Website advertising

• Shameless Wavegraph Website advertising

Since there are some people here who might actually be interested, check out my very own (beta!) version of the now-overdone wavegraph idea at http://lastgraph.aeracode.org

If you can find the time, some sort of constructive feedback would be good. I'm working on making colouring better, which is my only personal issue with it.

Oh, and be prepared for the rendering of the resulting PDF files if you choose to open them. There's a hell of a lot of detail.

• Oh, and if you want to know how long you'll be waiting, have a look at http://lastgraph.aeracode.org/queue to see current graphs.

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 maj 2007, 01:33
    nice!, I knew that some kind of online wave graph generator was going to be avaliable soon :)

I'll link it when I get my graph :P

• Yeah, I may have forgotten to turn on the renderer yesterday, and the queue actually got some entries in it. My one render node (laptop) will get there soon :)

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 maj 2007, 01:44
    by the way the page doesn't refresh automatically in my computer, I'm using Firefox 2

• Yes, I've noticed this recently, I probably mucked up the refresh when changing it from 10 -> 60 seconds (10 would be just short enough to refresh as you were selecting dates).

Also, I must commend you on managing to create a 21MB graph, and reminding me that I really should make the labeller deal with non-Western languages...

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 maj 2007, 02:08
    andygodwin said:
    Also, I must commend you on managing to create a 21MB graph

yeah I noticed that, that PDF is really big :S, there is not any way of making it smaller?, I think that it will use a lot of your resources using this size

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 maj 2007, 02:44
    :O that graph is crazy, I have never made one of that size!, are you using the complete chart or do you have some kind of threshold?

I'm going to link it in the overview now :)

• aliekens sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 maj 2007, 10:04
    Wow, very nice! This graph generator is really great. Thanks for your implementation! But I can't really see much in my 10MB PDF, as I listen to (literally) hundreds of artists per week (my distribution of top artists has a "long tail"). As C26000 mentioned before, it would be nice to have a threshold in there or a limitation on the number of top artists displayed each week, so the graph isn't cluttered up with sparsely played artists.

• Yes, that's a good idea, and I do remember implementing it at one point. It would also make the PDFs slightly smaller than their current gargantuan size :)

I'll work on this later. In the meantime, I should look into why I keep getting connection errors from the API (perhaps I've been hammering it too much, even at one request a second)

• Well, it seems I should have been prepared for more than one user a day! I think I have most of the issues fixed, and there's now an option to show lines only above a certain size.

Feedback is now more welcome than ever, especially because it's hightly likely I have just created a bug by fixing the rest...

• aliekens sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 maj 2007, 19:10
    Thanks, I have added my new requests to the queue.

Seems like you're using some sort of distributed computing platform for the rendering/..., and your single node is not able to cope with the load. How hard is it to add servers, or to allow us to donate CPU time?

• I suppose you could call it a distributed rendering platform, although currently it's a bit primitive, and the one node (my laptop) is doing most of the steps.

I'm working on a more portable rendering client; currently it requires Inkscape and Linux; in the meantime, however, I'm also looking at getting data off of last.fm faster, as the api access speed is the current limiting factor.

• avalyn2 sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 maj 2007, 23:13
    my pdf said it was corrupted,
    and i don't know how to use a svg,
    so haven't been able to see my wavegraph :(

may try again tomorrow, if you queue can cope.

Top Fans method keeps changing. This is the Old Top Fans formula with rationale. Discuss any Top Fans issues in the Top Fans Forum. Updated list of top obsessive fans here.
    My wife's handcrafted jewellery website www.startrishdesign.co.uk
  • Hmm, it's possible that yours was rendered when the node had low disk space; you can try again soonish, the queue is clearing.

• Hmm, it's possible that yours was rendered when the node had low disk space; you can try again soonish, the queue is clearing.

• maviles sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 dec 2007, 16:23
    this is not working anymore, why don't you remove from the utilities list?

20573|2
    • C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 dec 2007, 17:20
    well it sometimes doesn't load. I'll wait some days to see if it goes online again before removing it.

@andygoodwin,

is this temporaly, isn't it?

edit: Ok I just read your shout in the group shoutbox, you say it hasn't worked for weeks?, mmm ok, anyway I'll wait until the weekend before removing it.

• maviles sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 dec 2007, 15:30
    yes it has been weeks. graphs are not being rendered, they are queued and then remain in "rendering" state.
    it's sad because this utility was my personal favorite, and i just managed to try it a couple of times.

20573|2
    • C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 dec 2007, 16:07
    you probably know that you can make the same graphs using last.fm extra stats. anyway if you can't use the program here is your wavegraph

Made with Last.fm Extra Stats

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 dec 2007, 18:40
    I just tried it again and it doesn't load, I'll remove it from the list.

@andygoodwin

please let me know when you fix the problems so I can add it again to the overview text.

• Please remove this thing. It just doesn't work. Stuff sits in queued status for eons and doesn't go anywhere.

It was certainly nice when I managed to get it to work early in its life cycle, but it looks like the app just can't handle the load in its current state.

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 jan 2008, 06:01
    once again I tried to make my graph and it doesn't do anything ... :(

Again, I'll wait a couple of days, and if it doesn't work I'll remove it...

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 jan 2008, 14:30
    has anybody recently made his graph with this tool? I doesn't work for me but apparently in the recent graphs list there are recently made ones...

• tj44 sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 feb 2008, 05:25
    It just worked for me.....

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.