Stats Ideas

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 feb 2007, 05:06

Stats Ideas

There are a lot of data out there waiting for some ideas about how to present it, do you have an idea about a cool stat that can be created using the last.fm data? post it here! maybe someone can make it reality

Redigerad av C26000 den 27 apr 2007, 21:02
    • Xemper sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 feb 2007, 17:13
    One stat I'd quite like to see would be a graph that shows your total plays. On the weekly charts it shows the total plays for that week, but it would be nice to see a week by week cumulative overall plays chart.

I made a mock-up using my info for so far this year using excel:

Its not really useful in anyway. It's just interesting to see my listening habits. If someone could make a gizmo that calculated it all and form a graph, without me having to get all the info myself, that would be nice.

• I have some, but because of my involvement with Group Mapper they all sort of revolve around mapping things :) Ah, the obsession will pass away soon, hopefully.

For starters, how about this.
    You give a script Artist's name and it draws you a map, similar to my Group Maps, but what gets plotted is Top Listeners page.
    What kind of sucks here is that we don't have enough feeds to play with, all the ones on audiscrobler.net are getting boring and used up. So this map that I described will only rely on Top Listeners country split up, so it will not be accurate. But I guess it will still show a general trend.
    Anyways, it's 1am and I'm tired, so I'll script the script(yay, good ol' tautology) tomorrow.

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 feb 2007, 17:08
    what about something that plots the locations of artists that someone has in his top50, you can obtain the country info from wikipedia :) -->

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Export/Radiohead

• How about adding more to that AMAZING app:

http://music.aves-reich.de/weekly.php

by comparing 2 time-period charts and then see the changes (up/down/equal) the bands went through... that'd be the coolest!

With this we could see the differences between our current charts and charts from last year at the same time, or 3 months ago, or 2 years ago, etc...

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 feb 2007, 22:53
    Funkafonik said:
    comparing 2 time-period charts and then see the changes (up/down/equal) the bands went through... that'd be the coolest!

Don't tell anybody but I'm working in something like this for the extra stats ;), but I also agree that it would be cool to have it in web too, so people in linux and apple can use it.

Redigerad av C26000 den 25 feb 2007, 16:21
    • C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 feb 2007, 06:42
    @mega_codem

you have inspired me about the map stats :), what about a map that shows the nationalities of your neighbours?

• oh! that's a good one! *jotted down* :)

map stats are great, they actually let users play around with something visible, not just numbers and percentile :)

I got to make a big web app for all kinds of last.fm map stats...

• Random-Like Gibberish

How about Total # of Unique Artists played.

...Or a pie graph with styles of music being represented by different colors.

...Or a chart that somehow measures how many people listen to what U listen to.

...# of times people have listened to Ur stations.

• It would be nice to have stuff like AEP, Talion's additional chart tool, or Mainstream-o-meter, using tracks or albums instead of artists.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 maj 2007, 21:47
    I used to love Tallion's Extended Stats but the last few weeks it gives blank pages for me. Tallion's website says:

Blank page after hitting the submit button? In that case you have more musical data than the script can handle. Try a shorter period or wait for an offline version. (But you would wait pretty long, I guess...)

That's probably my problem. I'd like to see extended charts for my whole last.fm history. Maybe would anyone be so kind to make an offline version or something? The things I liked most in this tool are that you can sort your artist on the amount of week you played at last 1 (or more) track of them and that it creates a list down to the bottom that also includes the artist you only played once. Please make this tool also avalable for larger chart histories.

• clausule said:
    I used to love Tallion's Extended Stats but the last few weeks it gives blank pages for me.

Hey thx for pointing this 1 out. I over looked this 1. I suppose that's part of the trade-off of offering so many options. But, this 1 does display overall artists count which is what I was really interested in knowing. Thx again.

• wave graphs

i really like the wave graphs... what about adding an option to display tags (from bands you've played at that time) as wavegraph?!

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 maj 2007, 22:01
    Durandal49 said:
    i really like the wave graphs... what about adding an option to display tags (from bands you've played at that time) as wavegraph?!

I'll add them for the next version

3.1 soon ... ;)

• Användare
    • 26 maj 2007, 13:49
    how about something like an artist connection map.

(click to view large version, or click here for interactive version)

i made this by making a table of my top artists and their similar artists in my top 50.
    (if you take also the similar artists, that are not in your top 50 it gets very unclear)

had the idea as i viewed the site Many Eyes (because of this post) and thought the "network diagram" stat would be a great idea to visualize this.

edit: maybe the size of the dots could represent the number of plays instead of the number of connections

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 maj 2007, 17:14
    nice application of the many eyes site :)

do you know the Music Roamer , it does exactly the same but with any artist and you can navigate them by double clicking the pictures, it's one of my favorite stat tools

• Användare
    • 26 maj 2007, 17:44
    yeah i know it. but it gets very overcrowded if you click too much artists.

i thought of something, that shows only the connections of the top 50 artists, or even fewer.

maybe with tag data, like this:

(i have too much time^^)

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 maj 2007, 19:02
    I had exactly the same idea some time ago :)

take a look a this sketch that I did

I guess you get the idea :), but I thought about it and apparently it's extremely hard to implement. I think that you wont see this happen for some time, I wish someone could work on it.

• nojsa sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 maj 2007, 01:01

Comparison with a festival

in near future i'll attend a festival with a mind-blasting line up, it seems that 8 artists (my nr. 1,2,3,5,10,16,32,39) of my top 50 artists will play.

somebody could find the passion to create a tool that compares my listening habits with a festival.

wouldn't that be great?

meanwhile,

~~~ hang loose

• Användare
    • 4 jun 2007, 11:04
    we have "reverse neighbours", but what about "reverse similar artists". List all artists, where artist X is in the top 8 similar

• SEoD sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 jun 2007, 00:50

Similarity data for countries

I wrote a journal post a while back about the possibility of comparing the musical tastes of different countries and did a bit of Excel-based calculation to try it out, but never got as far as webbifying it or even automating it at all.

The post is here:

http://www.last.fm/user/SEoD/journal/2006/12/16/291223/

Unfortunately I still can't seem to find any feeds for the charts of each nation, so it'd be a screen-scrapy effort at best.

Any takers?

• DenBosch sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 jun 2007, 02:13
    nojsa said:
    in near future i'll attend a festival with a mind-blasting line up, it seems that 8 artists (my nr. 1,2,3,5,10,16,32,39) of my top 50 artists will play.

somebody could find the passion to create a tool that compares my listening habits with a festival.

wouldn't that be great?

What about this? It recommends events based on your listening habits, and also tells you about events that your friends are attending.

• nojsa sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 jun 2007, 14:49
    Thanks for the hint!
    I guess these recommended events are calculated the way im looking for.

But - my point was more:
    How "Festival XYZ" is somebodys top 50's list?

Like:
    John is 87% festival X.
    Peter is 62% festival X.

Or:
    John is 87% festival X.
    John is 30% festival Y.

Would be handy to choose a suitable festival, and interesting to see who fits most/more/less to a certain festival.

• Ivanerr sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 jun 2007, 20:38
    Can anybody create an average neighbour age calculator :)?

I think that is easy to create.

• Well, how about something that'll calculate how much music you've listened to? Not total tracks but something more like the Normalizer that'll calculate how many hours of music you've listened to.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.