Cook Book: Cuisines for the Culinarily Challenged

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 dec 2010, 05:41

Cook Book: Cuisines for the Culinarily Challenged

Okay, this thread is my own form of geek-out. I love to sit (stand, actually) in the kitchen for hours with vegetables strewn on the counters, three or four pots on the stove, the oven pre-heating, and my temperature (and temper) rising. That's what the beer is for.
    I am going to attempt to immortalize some recipes I've been working on over several years, from curries to soups to omelettes.
    **There is ALWAYS music on in the background, to keep this tied in to the music side of this music site.**

I am only going to write the names of the items down and maybe a very brief explanation at first, because I want to think about how to approach creating a step-by-step recipe out of them. Okay?
    Here we go:

Orange Lamb

Holy shit this is good! My wife and I sat down to eat this strange meal and our tongues burst into orgasmic delight upon the first nibble of the little lamb pieces. Orange and lamb go together surprisingly well with just the right amount of spice. It's also important that you use REAL orange zest and steaks for this, because the other cuts of lamb are too fatty.

Red Lentil Curry

Have I mentioned that Swiss Chard is perhaps THE MOST glorious vegetable on the planet? No? It's beautiful. Next time you go to the store, LOOK at it deeply. Like a Buddhist would. Contemplate its mystery for it is an excellent addition to this curry.

Other Curries

Most of my curries are variations on a theme: coconut milk and red lentils. Though I do have one that is made in a cast-iron skillet in the oven that is very good...if I can remember how to do it. Instead of red lentils, this one is heavy on a rainbow array of peppers and chicken. We used our own "signature" curry paste, made from scratch. My wife is a master at this...

Potato-Leek Soup

The key? Roux and Yukon gold potatoes. Also, for the carnivorous: ham.

Other Soups I Love:

Tomato Basil Bisque w/ Smoked Salmon & Goat Cheese
    Lentil
    Smoked Salmon Cheddar Chowder (Fuken Rich!!)
    Vegetable Beef Barley
    Vegan Corn Chowder

Another reason why I wanted to create this thread is to hear of ways people save $$$ by cooking for themselves. It sickens me to watch people use their resources to purchase absolute SHIT at the chain stores when they could make something better on their own. Take salsas and hummus for example...I guarantee every one of us can make better salsas and better hummus than 90 percent of what's out there, for a fraction of the cost.

• rooie666 sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 dec 2010, 10:18

A wonderful Threesome !

Cooking-Music-Portland
    i wonder if you are aware of

the best cookbook in my house, mostly because it has musical tips with every recipe.

http://community.livejournal.com/vegancooking/2100152.html

Dus.
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 dec 2010, 19:28

The Simplicity of Sushi Making:

While I think some sushi makers are in fact sushi MASTERS, like the ninjas of culinary arts or something, sushi remains an overpriced commodity that can be made well enough at home.
    Many of you know that my wife is half-Japanese. This thrills me to no end, because I do--like some of you--have a fetish for Japanese culture. This isn't the point. Her father, an Eastern European, is an amazing chef. He has entered into sushi making contests against some of the best Japanese. And won!

Does anyone here make sushi?
    What ingredients do you use?

What I do:

First I cook the rice, using slighlty less water than usual. (The reason will become apparent later...)
    While the grains are bubbling I prepare what vegetables I want to put inside:
    Carrots--grated finely or cut into uniform matchstick slices
    Cucumber--seeded and sliced soopah thin
    Avocado--cut in half, knife the seed out, make vertical slices about 1/4 inch (from top to bottom) but NOT through the skin. You'll scoop these slices out later.

When the rice is done cooking:

Let it cool for a few minutes with the lid off.
    Transfer to a large bowl.
    Put some sugar on top. This will help it become more "sticky."
    Add seasoned rice vinegar. Not too much.
    Mix.
    I have experimented with various furikake, but have found it better to remain simple.
    Let it cool some more. It should be very sticky before you put it on the nori.

Okay. Now decide if you want cream cheese inside. If you do, put a block in the freezer for about a half an hour. It's easier to slice into sushi sized cubes, about a quarter inch by three or four inches long.

Lay some paper towels on your cutting board.
    Put a sheet of nori down.
    Using a wooden spoon flatten some of your rice mixture onto the nori, leaving about an inch of free space from the "top" and "bottom" of your roll.
    Spread evenly, being careful not to rip the delicate plant.
    Now put your vegetables and whatever else you are going to add into the middle.
    When you are satisfied with what you have inside, carefully roll the wrap away from you, smashing it into shape slowly as you go.
    At the last roll, wet your fingers and run them along the last inch that is clear of rice. This will help the roll stick together.
    Press down a bit and check to make sure it is stuck together like a sealed envelope.

**I like to add spicy salmon to my rolls. It's easy to make: just like tuna salad but with smoked salmon, mayo, and sriracha instead**

I look forward to hearing more advice on how to home-make sushi!

• BoT___ sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 mar 2012, 06:48

THE BEST POPCORN ON THE PLANET

Who said popcorn can't be healthy?
    Fuck that. No one did.

Steps to the best popcorn:

1) Pop your corn, shaking the covered pot continuously so as not to burn your kernels.
    2) Melt an entire stick of butter in a small saucepan. Real butter. Half if you're alone. The whole thing if you're hungry. (Use a butter alternative, preferably Earth Balance, if you're vegan or have other dietary restrictions.)
    3) Dump your popped corn in a large bowl.
    4) Add salt, a lot if you like. Less if you don't.
    5) Pour at LEAST a half cup of nutritional yeast on your freshly popped popcorn.
    6) Slowly drizzle your melted butter over your corn, shaking the bowl to evenly distribute
    7) Shake it like a polaroid picture
    8) Eat
    9) Save any leftovers or invite a *friend over to help

**Alternately, you may add some lemon pepper. This might be an acquired taste, but it's GOOD!

He who cannot learn to fly higher should learn to fall faster.
    • BoT___ sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 maj 2012, 20:49

Just Finishing Up A Batch Of These Cookies And They Look Mighty Tasty

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
    By Bev on July 30, 2002

Photo by Mary Ellen #3

889 Reviews
    Prep Time: 15 minsTotal Time: 26 minsYield: 36 cookies
    About This Recipe
    "You've made oatmeal-raisin cookies before, so why try these? Because they're moist, chewy and loaded with raisins - and they're better than any you've tried before! From Cuisine Magazine"
    Ingredients

Whisk together and set aside:

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

Cream wet ingredients
    1 cup unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
    2 large eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla

Then stir in:

3 cups oats ( not instant) *I used Instant*
    1 1/2 cups raisins

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°.
    Whisk dry ingredients; set aside.
    Combine wet ingredients with a hand mixer on low.
    To cream, increase speed to high and beat until fluffy and the color lightens.
    Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture until no flour is visible.
    (Over mixing develops the gluten, making a tough cookie.) Now add the oats and raisins; stir to incorporate.
    Fill cookie scoop with dough.
    (Use a #40 cookie scoop; it measures 2 tablespoon of dough) Press against side of bowl, pulling up to level dough.
    Page 2 of 2Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (cont.)
    Directions
    Drop 2-inches apart onto baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray.
    Bake 11-13 minutes (on center rack), until golden, but still moist beneath cracks on top.
    Remove from oven; let cookies sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1 (1705 g)
    Servings Per Recipe: 1
    Amount Per Serving% Daily ValueCalories 188.5 Calories from Fat 5730%Amount Per Serving% Daily ValueTotal Fat 6.3g9%Saturated Fat 3.5g17%Cholesterol 23.8mg7%Sugars 15.1 gSodium 100.9mg4%Total Carbohydrate 30.3g10%Dietary Fiber 1.7g7%Sugars 15.1 g60%Protein 3.5g7%
    © 2012 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved. http://www.food.com/35813

**I substituted, mixed/matched:

1/2 cup fruit juice sweetened dried cranberries
    1/2 cup raisins
    about 1/2 - 3/4 cup unsweetened carob chips
    1 melted coconut popsicle

• BoT___ sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 maj 2012, 22:18

Pics of My Makings

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.