Does Anyone Know the Latest JB CD "A Family Affair"?

• pjebsen sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 6 feb 2007, 14:19

Does Anyone Know the Latest JB CD "A Family Affair"?

After James Brown's death, his business partner Henry Stone released the CD A Family Affair.

On his website (which includes audio samples), Henry Stone writes:
    >> James Brown, the Godfather of Soul, called me his Godfather. I have been with James Brown since the beginning of Please, Please, Please, as a mentor and as a friend. In the early 90s, we formed the Brownstone record label and put out several releases over the years. James sent me a number of tracks to be released and tested on the Brownstone label. After James’ sudden death, I felt it was important to put out this CD, James Brown A Family Affair, in honor of James’ memory, to release these tracks to the world as James Brown would have wanted. This collection includes material that he sent me from himself and his two daughters, Yamma Brown and Venisha Brown. <<

Has anyone listened to the entire album yet?

• zephirnl sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 feb 2007, 16:03
    Not yet, but I'll see if I can get my handson it and then post back with my experience :)

• pjebsen sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 28 feb 2007, 02:02

I Just Ordered the CD Myself ...

... and I'll let y'all know how I liked A Family Affair. ;-)

• zephirnl sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 mar 2007, 14:56
    Ah great :) I seem not to be able to get even a preview/download or even listen to it in the store.

While we're on the subject of JB albums, which are THE essential ones? let's say I have a double cd compilation that contains a lot of tracks, but short edits etc, and I dg mostly the Heavy funky stuff, and I can only afford to buy one or two at the moment. Which should I buy?

• pjebsen sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 1 mar 2007, 23:21

Essential JB Albums

@zephirnl: It's a matter of personal taste - here are some of my favorites:

Compilations
    In the Jungle Groove
    (AllMusic.com: >> In the Jungle Groove was one of the first (and still one of the best) collections of James Brown's transitional and hard-hitting soul/funk workouts from 1969-1971. <<)
    Star Time (AllMusic.com: >> Star Time got everything right: it put Brown's hugely influential career into striking perspective, helping to complete his critical renaissance, and the richness of its music set a standard for box sets in general. <<)
    If you have all of the hits already, I recommend this collection of raw early works:
    Roots Of A Revolution (AllMusic.com: >> A double-CD retrospective of 1956-1964 recordings that charts Brown's progress from doo wop and Little Richard-influenced R&B to the verge of his groundbreaking mid-'60s funk. It doesn't include his biggest hits of the era (which are found on Star Time), but these are by and large equally exciting. <<)
    If you want to concentrate on the non-vocal aspects of JB funk, check out this one:
    Soul Pride: The Instrumentals (1960-1969) (AllMusic.com: >> Not only does the band cook on most of these insinuating vamps, but you can also hear the evolution of the man's sound from gritty R&B to tight-as-a-drum soul to free-form funk. Soul Brother number one himself plays organ and adds unpredictable shouts and screams on most of these tracks. But the chief stars are sidemen like Maceo Parker, Fred Wesley, and Pee Wee Ellis, who broke new ground with their compulsive counterpoint riffs. <<

Albums
    My current favorite:
    Say It Live And Loud: Live In Dallas 08.26.68 (here's why)
    Runner-up:
    Hell (AllMusic.com: >> The album was the pinnacle of his work as the Minister of the Super New New Heavy Funk. <<)

• zephirnl sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 jan 2008, 12:55
    hey, how's the family affair cd?

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.