new shoegaze bands

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 jun 2005, 22:46

new shoegaze bands

so what new great shoegaze bands do you know..
    I know one band called Swoon (of course I know, they are on my smal label ;)
    check them out www.kittylitterrecords.se

/db

• autolux! check out future perfect

• Engineers and Airiel.

• autolux, amusemt parks on fire, dalek, joy zipper
    there are many.

engineers suck ass.

• Caribou sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 jun 2005, 13:03
    just thought i'd agree with the poster above. autolux and amusement parks on fire are both excellent. not heard that much joy zipper, but i did like 'the stereo and god'.

and also, i don't like engineers either.

• you know k. shields produced the first two joy zipper records, right?

get on it son! the new one isn't as good, doesn't have that sweet narcosis feel but it's still enjoyable. the debut s/t and american whip are i guess more dream pop than shoegaze but astounding efforts all the same.

• Caribou sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 jun 2005, 21:31
    yeah, i had heard kevin shields was involved with them. joy zipper are one of those bands who've been on my radar for ages, but i've somehow avoided giving them a serious listen.

i think i will now, though. cheers for the heads-up. :0)

• dthtvwls sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 jun 2005, 00:04
    Why are you guys recommending Joy Zipper? I downloaded 3 songs, and they all sucked! Don't listen to Joy Zipper!

<3 NeenMarie
    <3 Wilco Lovers

Guys! We should save the seeds and make marijuana popcorn! Potcorn!!!
    • Caribou sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 jul 2005, 14:45

Re:

Quoth dthtvwls:
    Why are you guys recommending Joy Zipper? I downloaded 3 songs, and they all sucked! Don't listen to Joy Zipper!

to quote the big lebowski:

"well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

• I recently discovered "The Radio Dept", worth checking out.

• yeah Radio Dept. kick ass.

• Caribou sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 jul 2005, 23:54
    agreed. 'lesser matters' was easily one of my favourite albums of last year.

• dthtvwls sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jul 2005, 04:12
    As long as we're talking about opinions, my opinion is that Joy Zipper is a lame ripoff of MBV, minus the artistic drive, and the lyrics are so stupid it's insulting. It's as if some members of another band took a bunch of their leftover, half-assed songs and made them sound like MBV just for fun.

But I've had Autolux for a while and I think it's one of 2004's best, and APoF seems pretty good too so thanks for that recommendation, I'm not 100% cynical.

<3 NeenMarie
    <3 Wilco Lovers

Guys! We should save the seeds and make marijuana popcorn! Potcorn!!!
    • Caribou sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jul 2005, 09:40

Re:

Quoth dthtvwls:
    As long as we're talking about opinions, my opinion is that Joy Zipper is a lame ripoff of MBV, minus the artistic drive, and the lyrics are so stupid it's insulting. It's as if some members of another band took a bunch of their leftover, half-assed songs and made them sound like MBV just for fun.

fair enough, you're entitled to that opinion. to me, joy zipper are just fun, narcotic pop. they sound a little like mbv because kevin shields is (or was, i don't know) their producer. obviously they're not in the same league as mbv, but i find them quite enjoyable nevertheless.

and yeah, the autolux and amusement parks on fire records are great. it's frightening to think that mike feerick of apof is only 19, i have high hopes for that fella.

Redigerad av Caribou den 3 jul 2005, 17:36
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 19 jul 2005, 17:34

Many groups Shoegazing¡¡¡

t

• Hi, I'm a new to the group. *waves* I've been listening to shoegazer music since I first heard Kitchens of Distinction's "Drive That Fast" on the radio, and was (at roughly the same time) literally stopped in my tracks when a music store I frequented happened to play Slowdive's "Catch the Breeze."

For the two months I've been rather obsessive about a new band called Hammock. It's just two guys - Marc Byrd and Andrew Thompson - but they create huge ambient guitar spaces that manage to feel warm and enfolding.

www.hammockmusic.com

• pellenys sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 aug 2005, 08:52

Mew

Mew are good too. Not all shoegazing, but I'd say about half the album is. Find Comforting Sounds if you can.

• Pram Is Shoegaze?

• New Shoegaze or almost : Amusement Parks on Fire ,The Stratford 4, The Raveonettes (Chain Gang Of Love LP), and Radio Dept.

Lo-Fi or Die

• Engineers is more shoegaze than anything else that's come out in years. I think it's the best shoegaze album since Auburn Lull's "Cast From the Platform."

p.s. thanks for the Hammock recommendation.

coco
  • Wow, I had to re-post and tout the excellence of Hammock. As far as dreams and music go, I'd also highly recommend July Skies to anyone of the shoegaze persuasion. There's nothing dreamier by which to watch the sun descend.

coco
    • yig sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 aug 2005, 19:58
    More or less new: Highspire, Monster Movie, Guitar, The Meeting Places, Malory, Port-Royal...

• hammock put out a great comp last year too, or maybe earlier this year -- the one with jason anderson on?

some more great bands are the emerald down, skywave, asobi seksu, ester drang... the list is prety endless, anyone else heard the blisscent compilations?

• I *think* Magenta would sort under "shoegazing"... Not exactly a new band, but I presume they're fairly unknown outside Norway :)
    Also from Norway - haven't heard them yet, but they're getting rave reviews & heavy shoegaze-labelling - are Serena Maneesh.

• potilas sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 sep 2005, 12:04
    Hi, I´m new to this group. I have to agree on Radio Dept. greatness, Lesser Matters rocked my world. :)

I dunno how many people have heard this great Estonian shoegazer band called Pia Fraus. Theyre not that "new" really - first album came out already in 2001 and they have been released also in the US by Clairecords. Check out a few songs at www.piafraus.com

Thanks for all the good recommendations.

Redigerad av potilas den 6 sep 2005, 12:38
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.