Scandinavia - And the countries that lies within

• Scandinavia - And the countries that lies within

Scandinavia acctually only refers to Norway, Denmark and Sweden. Not Finland (and not Iceland either).
    Nordic Metal would be more correct as it consists of all 5 countries, including the one that aint mentioned in the description - Denmark.

But who cares...?

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 apr 2006, 13:32
    Not me ;)

I always thought of scandinavia as Norway + Sweden and Finland. Though the allmihgty wikipedia says that it includes iceland as well. And then some other site says it's just Norway and North Sweden.

Anyway it doesn't REALLY matter, I just say those 4 countries so it covers all the bands I like. I've yet to find a good Danish metal band :(

• galderi sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 apr 2006, 20:41
    tried Mnemic?

• Användare
    • 12 apr 2006, 01:46
    Yeah they were alright, I didn't know they were Danish though. But Denmark isn't like Finland that churns otu quallity bands all the time.

• i liked mnemic for about 3 weeks and then moved on. their stuff gets really old really fast.

• pihlaja sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 maj 2006, 13:03
    Actually Scandinavia is just Norway and Sweden, because the name comes from the Scandic mountains (or what ever the name is in English) and the mountains are in Norway and North-Sweden. But usually Finland is counted also to Scandinavia because it's so similar to Sweden and Norway and so near of them. Truly the group of Norway+Sweden+Finland is named as Fennoscandia (that name is Finnish xD don't ask me what it's in English).

But I don't see how Denmark would be part of Scandinavia..

• I define scandinavia by culture. Therefore Denmark definetly scandinavian. The scandinavian contries are the ancient territories of the vikings, therefore I count Iceland as scandinavic, not friggin' Finland. Also the scandinavian languages ALL come from the old Norse tongue. That definately disqualifies Finland.

• corpserated, there's diffirent views on what countries are part of Scandinavia. As far as I know certain part of Finland IS a part of Scandinavia. I'll quote you couple of encyclopedias after I get those in my hands again...

• Mercyful Fate/King Diamond - Denmark
    Mercenary - Denmark

...that's all i could think of

• Användare
    • 9 apr 2007, 10:27
    Wuthering Heights also come from Denmark.

• hatesphere and illdisposed also :P

• banawnd sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 apr 2007, 07:23
    The main Scandinavian countries are Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Faeroe Islands. I think you can also throw Greenland into that also, these are also know as Nordic Countries. The exact definition is a bit blurred because of the similar lifestyles, culture, social and political traits. The English term for Scandinavia refers to Nordic countries. This is a ongoing battle and now Estonia is referring to itself as a Scandinavian country since gaining independence since there are historical ties to Finland, Sweden and Denmark. But before it was considered part of the Baltic countries. I think this is one of those things that have no exact answer since you can argue the issue many different ways. :) I'll shut up before I go into a in depth history lesson here.!

• Sureker sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 apr 2007, 18:33
    According to my geographics book. Scandinavia includes only Norway and Sweden, but Finland, Norway and Sweden are called Fennoskandia.

• Sureker sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 jul 2007, 16:28
    banawnd said:
    The main Scandinavian countries are Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Faeroe Islands.

You've got Scandinavia confused with nordic countries.

• What..? I'm Danish, but not scandinavian??

"Can you say "feel like shit?"
    I ain't happy 'bout it, but I'd rather feel like shit than be full of shit!"
    - Suicidal Tendencies -
  • Scandinavia consists of Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland and.... Denmark.

And that's final!

• suerudane said:
    Scandinavia consists of Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland and.... Denmark.

And that's final!

Remove Finland and add Faraoe Islands and you have it right. Finland doesnt differ much culturally, but they didnt speak Old Norse and they didnt have any viking activity - and thats what defines the Scandinavian countries.

793!
    • Maelkoch sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 nov 2007, 12:50

Being a Finn myself...

We ain't Scandinavians. Finland isn't part of Scandinavia.

Nordic countries, yes, Fennoscandia, just aswell, but not Scandinavia.

We speak a Finno-ugric language, never got around building dragon ships, worshipped different gods (cultural exchange aside), and overall had our own culture, up until ~1200 or so (ie before the Sweden started consolidating its sway over Finland).

Scandinavia consists of, in the strictest sense, of only Norway, Denmark and Sweden, the three Scandinavian kingdoms. However, Iceland and Faroe Islands are often included due to linguistical and historical connection. Finland is SOMETIMES in the English world included, but I, being as mentioned before, a Finn myself, wouldn't call myself 'Scandinavian'.

That's my take on the matter, anyway.

• Tuhyk sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 nov 2007, 21:37
    Well then, as Finland is probably not part of Scandinavia (at least from some points of view), does anyone here wish to remove Finland from the connections list?

In my opinion even thogh Finland may not be the "proper" Scandinavian country, it is widely considered to be so. I can understand that some people may feel offended by listing Finland as a part of Scandinavia (as I would be if someone list the Czech Republic as a part of Russia) but after all, we do not have to take it so serious. Apart from that, I would have to remove Finnish bands too and that wouldn't please me at all :)

However, I'm open to suggestions...

Resistance is futile.
    • Maelkoch sa...
    • Användare
    • 19 nov 2007, 12:34
    Nope.

Even though the terminology is a bit off, I understand that this group was meant for lovers of "Nordic" metal, and, thus, I see no particular need for removing Finland.

Imho.

• Gravenis sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 nov 2007, 15:23
    Finland shouldn't be removed.

We might not be part of scandinavia but we are part of fennoscandia and ain't that kind of close. Besides lots of great bands come from here and it would be pity if you would have to remove them from artist connections.

• Sigyn84 sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 jan 2008, 18:24
    I also think Finn-metal bands should not be removed.
    It would be a pity to miss some of those great bands they have, just in order to stay strict inside the borders of geography.

Humppa, baby! :-)

• Användare
    • 4 aug 2008, 07:05

Re: Being a Finn myself...

Maelkoch said:
    We speak a Finno-ugric language, never got around building dragon ships, worshipped different gods (cultural exchange aside), and overall had our own culture, up until ~1200 or so (ie before the Sweden started consolidating its sway over Finland).

Oh REALLY? I thought that we did. Well if you really think that Ukko, Ahti, Tapio etc. weren't gods, then you're as wrong as you can possibly be.

• Användare
    • 1 nov 2008, 14:44
    Geographic Scandinavia = Norway, Sweden and the northwestern area of Finnish Lapland.
    Cultural Scandinavia = Norway, Sweden and Denmark.
    Fennoscandia = the Scandinavian Peninsula(=Sweden and Norway), Finland, the Kola Peninsula and Karelia.
    Nordic countries = Finland with its autonomic area Åland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Denmark with its autonomic areas Greenland and Faroe Islands.

• Användare
    • 25 feb 2009, 15:36
    Denmark. We once owned both Sweden and Norway. So we are Scandinavia :> Many people from Skåne (South Sweden) wants Skåne to be Danish again xD

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.