Most underappreciated Reggae group or artist

• jvglion sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 sep 2006, 02:31

Most underappreciated Reggae group or artist

Who would you rank as underappreciated? I definitely would have to put the following on the list (not necessarily in any order):

The Mighty Diamonds
    Jacob Miller
    Junior Reid
    Dennis Brown
    Prince Far I
    Judy Mowatt
    Yabby You
    Lucky Dube
    Cornell Campbell
    Horace Andy

I'm missing quite a few that I know but these are the ones I immediately thought of. I think about these artists and the fact that they are able to sing so well and many were true originators. I once read that Bob Marley actually mimicked dance moves on stage after watching Dennis Brown perform. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

My reasons: I often hear a lot of younger people talk about their favorite reggae artists, and groups/artists like Bob Marley, Peter Tosh are often listed up there but they tend to include a lot more newer artists. I can understand why because these are artists they hear and watch perform on stage more often. I just find it amazing when I run into people who haven't even heard of some of those mentioned above. There are so many great up-and-coming artists out there but people should be reminded there is a lot to look for at the foundation.

I'll never forget when I was introduced to the greater variety in . During the late 80's/early 90's, I listened to DJ Neesie on the Reggae Splashdown (99.1 FM WHFS for those of you who are from the DC area and remember!) I recorded the shows on countless 90 minute tapes, each week for almost 3 years. There were so many artists my ears were opened to.

" is spiritually revolutionary, and the message is divine. The message content opens the eyes of the people to the evils of the system…as inside the music are the seeds of destruction of the said shitstem." -- Peter Tosh
    • Varese sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 sep 2006, 13:32
    Underappreciated by whom? I appreciate 'em ;-)

From the "classic" era, Linval Thompson has only just started getting props. Hugh Mundell has been a huge influence- just listen to Jah Cure- but rarely gets a namecheck even in "reggae" circles. Johnny Clarke was huge in the 70s, but almost disappeared afterwards...

I reckon Dougie Conscious (Bush Chemists etc) has gotta be one of the most overlooked peeps in modern reggae, but also people like Keety Roots, who's been putting out scorchers for years but is relatively unknown. (14 listeners on last.fm!)

The most underappreciated we've probably never heard of!

Pretends reggae isn't just the same song repeated ad nauseum at:
    • darewon sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 sep 2006, 22:50
    By far Dennis Brown. So many classics yet little recognition. When he died I remember Mikey Dread being really mad about how Bob gets all the attention while a man just as great gets forgotten.
    ---EDIT---
    I would through Peter Tosh in the mix also. Again, due to the Bob phenomenon. Tosh was so outspoken and didn't take no B.S. A true revolutionary w/o the hippy love everyone vibe. I would love to see a time when the University jocks replace the ubiquitous Bob with a spliff poster with Tosh with a M-16 guitar. Word sound power.

• jvglion sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 sep 2006, 20:51
    I do agree with that statement, darewon. The fact that Tosh played a Fender Strat in the shape of an M-16 made a huge statement. Check out what he said:

This guitar is firing shots at all them devil disciples. Music is my weapon to fight against apartheid, nuclear war and those gang-jah criminals.

His words are amazing and his emotions came out in his music better than anyone else. I don't think there is a current artist who can express themselves in their music better than Tosh. He deserves a lot more praise than he gets. To me his acoustic version of "Get Up Stand Up", maybe the song which summed him up. When I think of this song, I think of how a revolutionary must feel before he/she enters combat with the agents of downpression.

I think if Peter Tosh hadn't been done in by the CIA (which I believe in my heart is the same way Marley was done in), he would have no doubt rallied hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

I'm a lover of Fender guitars. I found a great link about Fender and their ties to reggae music. You'll find several other "underappreciated" artists there.

http://fender.demonweb.co.uk/fenderfiles/FenderandtheStoryofReggae.asp.

" is spiritually revolutionary, and the message is divine. The message content opens the eyes of the people to the evils of the system…as inside the music are the seeds of destruction of the said shitstem." -- Peter Tosh
    • jvglion sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 feb 2007, 22:17

here's something for you all to enjoy

• sufferah sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 feb 2007, 23:51

irie

yeah people. tosh is underated what about i jah man,eek a mouse ( ganja smuglin),most bands around the late 70's early 80's were...we had some good nz reggae bands back then too... good ones now too tho but like was said dont forget the foundation.

• jvglion sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 feb 2007, 23:25

Another great one...Ijahman

• cr0wn sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 mar 2007, 05:49
    I'd probably add the Twinkle Brothers in there too. Linval Thompson definately, he's awesome.

• jvglion sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 maj 2007, 03:47

One awesome picture.

• Varese sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 maj 2007, 14:49
    How 'bout Singer Blue: here's him round Conscious Sounds voicing on their version of Jamrock...

and the dub

Niceness!

Pretends reggae isn't just the same song repeated ad nauseum at:
  • most underated

Mikey General is one i have to mention
    Peter Broggs was full of class and heady lyrics
    Gentleman is newer but still very much underplayed
    There are so many greats out there

jah bless all people who listen
    no matter what going on never say jah trod is done

steve
  • Well not on the list, but i'd like to add Earth & Stone as much underated in reggae circles..

• Lucky Dube. (rip..)

World famous in (south)-Africa, has won many awards but here (in the Netherlands) no one knows him...

And I'd like to add Tiken Jah Fakoly, but he'll make his way.. <3!! his music.

• Linval Thompson, Sugar Minott (especially Slice of the Cake), BIG YOUTH. Everyone keeps saying Peter Tosh (who is rightly amazing), but what about Bunny Wailer. He especially has amazing roots records and is often overshadowed by Peter and of course Bob. Junior Reid as well

Jake Giles for county sheriff.
  • lol..where do i..the roots historian begin..joe higgs who taught bob how to play guiter along with supposely peter tosh aswell. LACKSLEY CASTELL!!!!!!!!!, king tubby who brought dub and sub shet like dnb..electronica and soforth. jah thomas and the one name henry junjo lawes.barry brown, rod taylor, pablo gad, jah shaka,king shiloh and iration steppas both new act in the UK..the roots radics band. augustus pablo, jacob miller. billy boyo, general echo, massive dread, josey wales, lloyd parks, jr. reid for sure..lee perry for being a good good producer..martin campbell,michael prophet,twinkle brothers, the viceroys, winston hussey,wayne jarrett, wayne smith, wayne wade,prince far i, triston palmer, lone ranger, horace andy, don carlos, garnett slik, jah stitch, uroy, iroy, prince jazzbo, lord sir comic, scotty, lord sassafras, charlie chaplin, papa tullo, ranking toyan and countless more to be mention. get back to me if u knoe more crucial rubadub deejay's for those who nah know. all the yellowman sound chanters...bless

Blessed Love to All
    • The_DK sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 aug 2009, 15:44
    twinkle brothers for sure

• Lurholm sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 sep 2009, 11:26
    Most great reggae artists are underrated because media focused on Bob Marley (and a few other acts with huge international success). No criticism against Marley, he was truly great, but there were hundreds of other artists that deserved as much recognition and got very little. Off the top of my head: Freddie McGregor, The Gladiators, Prince Lincoln And The Royal Rasses, The Fabulous Five, U-Roy, Culture, Dennis Brown, Linton Kwesi Johnson, Dennis Bovell, Wailing Souls, The I-tals, Benjamin Zephaniah, Scientist, Capital Letters, Eek-A-Mouse, Jacob Miller, Scotty, Louie Lepkie, Althia & Donna, Joe Higgs... Sure, to hardcore reggae fans these guys may not be "underappreciated", but to the general public they're probably totally unknown. Which is a shame.

Shine those shoes, Bill!
    • Kadaif sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 okt 2009, 21:29
    Fc Apatride Utd

Fc Apatride Utd

[/youtube]

Show me what u got!!!
  • Bylalibypomalátomámrád, bylalibylidovátobychzvlád
    • gjepe sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 dec 2009, 10:30
    maybe I'm not so reggae fan, I don't know so many artists like you do, but I can say that I really keen on that music. I don't like all the tracks, thats obvious, but still. First artist I've thought about who is underppreciated reggae artist is Horace Andy, but jvglion mentioned that in his 1st post :) Thanks. Cheers.

• The_DK sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 dec 2009, 02:41
    yeah,yeah...damn good band!!!!

Kadaif said:
    Fc Apatride Utd

Fc Apatride Utd

[/youtube]

• I find the whole genre underappreciated. Most people, when I tell them I like reggae, reply something like: 'Yeah, Bob Marley is cool'.

I'd have to go with Steel Pulse - it's one of my favourite bands yet many people have never heard of them.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 jan 2010, 13:12

Johnny Clarke

I definetly agree with Varese; Johnny Clarke!
    One of my favourites:)
    Singer blue is massive to....Johnny ClarkeCome Back to Me

• neorxna_wong said I find the whole genre underappreciated. Most people, when I tell them I like reggae, reply something like: 'Yeah, Bob Marley is cool'. I'd have to go with Steel Pulse - it's one of my favourite bands yet many people have never heard of them.

I defenitly agree! I think real reggae listeners already know most artist and the rest knows bob and maybe alpha blondy and ub40.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.