Most underappreciated Reggae group or artist

• Truthfully, I wish people have even heard of Alpha Blondy.

Worse than associating whole genrge with Bob Marley is when people jump to assuming that by reggae you mean Shaggy and Sean Paul. I usually, quite politelly, describe the difference between roots reggae and dancehall.

• Metody89 sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 feb 2010, 16:35
    Natty

Ras Cricket you can download his music for free

Kiddus I

and if you also like ska:

Konopians

• illmasta sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 apr 2010, 02:54
    The Congos and their album Heart Of The Congos which was produced by Lee Perry. Definitely one of roots reggae's underappreciated gems.

• Mr. Dennis Brown for sure...

"Feel so high, I even touch the sky, above the fallin' rain..."
  • Well, when you mention reggae to your average joe, they just mention Bob Marley and a few recognised others ... I'm just pissed off at that when all that they can think about is just Bob Marley ...

To the regular lambda I'd say all reggae artist are under-appreciated compared to Bob Marley. Somehow I know I would never have gotten so much into reggae if it wasn't for Bob Marley but the importance he has in this music just utterly frustates me.

When they kick at your front door, are you gonna come
    With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jun 2011, 22:27
    I think one band that is fairly underrated or under appreciated is Soul Syndicate, and a video was put in an earlier post by someone else. Obviously they are on an endless list of great albums as the backing band and are greatly respected by the musicians of the reggae scene and those who dig deep, but I feel like their own albums and songwriting ability has gone less appreciated then their musicianship. Songs like "Harvest Uptown, Famine Downtown," "Mariwana," "We Got Love," Fade Away," "Red, Gold, and Green" are all classics that I personally can't get enough of and consider some of the best. I also really dig Chinna's newer "Inna De Yard" stuff. Great mix of reggae and more acoustic influences with tons of excellent musicians on the albums. Check this stuff out if you haven't heard it yet, I highly recommend it.

• I agree with most have said about most reggae being underrated/overlooked. There's so much great individual, legendary artists from this great small island called Jamaica that it's a pity only a handful are popular like Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru, etc.

Some great ones off the top off my head are the Techniques, Cornell Campbell, Scotty, Nicodemus, Junior Reid, Johnny Osbourne, Johnny Clarke, and Junior Byles.

Don't bite me
  • CalypsoandMento a dit :
    I agree with most have said about most reggae being underrated/overlooked. There's so much great individual, legendary artists from this great small island called Jamaica that it's a pity only a handful are popular like Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru, etc.

Some great ones off the top off my head are the Techniques, Cornell Campbell, Scotty, Nicodemus, Junior Reid, Johnny Osbourne, Johnny Clarke, and Junior Byles.

Steel Pulse are from England but I get your point though.

If you like roots definitely check out The Gladiators, Jacob Miller, Inner Circle, Lee Scratch Perry, Max Romeo, The Congos, Don Carlos, Black Roots, Dennis Brown, John Holt. A good start is definitely the trojan boxsets.

• Under Rated Reggae Artists...

Yabby You,Willi Williams,The Ethiopians,The Senior Allstars,Steel Pulse,Misty In Roots,Smiley CultureMutabaruka The List Goes On and on unfortunatley many of the greatest reggae artists still remain only known of in certain circles...Jah Bless..Rastafari.

• kali Blaxx is 1 of the best young reggae out of Jamaica

• New Music Coming Soon

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/penxy5bI1hQ"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• New Music Coming Soon

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/penxy5bI1hQ"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Guns-Of-Brixton said:
    CalypsoandMento a dit :
    I agree with most have said about most reggae being underrated/overlooked. There's so much great individual, legendary artists from this great small island called Jamaica that it's a pity only a handful are popular like Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru, etc.

Steel Pulse are from England but I get your point though.

Whoops, I knew that, too.

I like your sig and name, by the way.

Don't bite me
  • I know all those people already (unless you were talking to no one in specific)

Don't bite me
  • CalypsoandMento a dit :
    I know all those people already (unless you were talking to no one in specific)

Wasn't talking to anyone in particular but if you're even remotely into reggae then of course all those names make sense.

• Sanmare sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 nov 2014, 03:45
    Junior Byles (Fade Away), what he had been able to do if he had avoided depression. And Horace Andy of course, always forgotten.

Sanmare, World Citizen
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.