Advice from graphics programmers

• uldaman sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 okt 2008, 13:41

Advice from graphics programmers

I'm writing my honors thesis on 3D graphics for my BS this semester, and applying to some masters programs for next year. But my thesis, which is more of a research project in OpenGL and related 3D modeling is suddenly unimportant after OpenGL3 and it's apparent lack of improvement. My thesis is about graphics pipelines in general, but now I'm wondering: do I forget OpenGL entirely and focus on DirectX(only used it a couple times)? Is my knowledge still going to be applicable at all?

What type of projects do graphics programmers usually work on in the field?

0_o
    • virne sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 nov 2008, 13:40
    Old post, but...

I think it's never good idea to limit yourself to some API. OpenGL is not dying and there are plenty of platforms where it or some of it's subsets like OpenGL ES are only choice available. Also there are platforms that don't directly support OpenGL or DirectX at all (PSP).

I am working on projects that work with multiple platforms. For PC version application uses DirectX and for example iPhone it uses OpenGL ES. Performance hit isn't meaningful when support for multiple API's is done right.

DirectX offers huge library that helps building nice pipelines and there is a temptation to use all those nice bells and whistles it offers. But to make it work with OpenGL I have to write all those little pieces myself. Loading a texture from a file comes a huge task, if you have to do everything - fileformats, scaling, color conversion etc. Sure there are plenty of libraries to do just that, but again it's a problem with myriad of platforms. Library of choice may not work with some exotic platform or some version of gcc.

If you are aiming just for PC, go with DirectX. It's massive libraries (Direct3D X) make life easier. This is especially true if application is doing something more than shows rotating cube.

Actual 3D programming is a bit more straightforward with OpenGL, but after all in real world projects, we don't have to touch to actual graphics API that much. There is always some more or less abstract interface that we are using. And it might good idea to avoid math stuff in DirectX. I was worried that my simple math algorithms weren't as fast as those in D3DX, but I ran some tests and my spline function was seven (7!) times faster than one in D3DX. I don't know how they managed to make it that slow.

• uldaman sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 nov 2008, 14:07
    thats awesome, thanks! Yeah I've been meaning to grab a big DirectX book and get started, I probably will after this semester. I have been eating and breathing openGL for over a year now, although I haven't gotten as into GLSL as I would like. That stuff has been tricky. Maybe ill start saving my own library of neat functions, I've noticed some specific ones of my own have been much more efficient as well (probably because theyre specific)

0_o
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.