• Your OS...

So, feel free to tell me something about your operating system.

I'm using Linux right now and everytime when I can. When I'm coding I use tools like vim - simple text editor, kate - advanced text editor, apache2 as webserver, mysql as database server and gcc as C compiler.

And of course I listen music with Audacious music player under my loved OS Linux. (my favorite distro is Debian) :)

• crack33 sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 maj 2007, 19:03
    I've only got (Gentoo) GNU/Linux here, Windows is no production environment for me ;) (no Windows flame, I just can't use it as efficiently as GNU)
    The editor depends on the language...
    C, C++: emacs
    Shell scripts: vi
    PHP, HTML: Bluefish
    Java: NetBeans (I would start using Eclipse if I'd write more Java)

• numlawd sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jun 2007, 14:23

Using multiple O/S's here ;-)

From earliest to latest: (yay for classic computers!)

(Note: because this topic is about operating systems, I haven't enumerated the hardware specs, e.g. memory size, disk drives, and bus cards)

A//e (and A][ europlus when I get it working again):
    DOS 3.2, DOS 3.3, UCSD, ProDos
    Most stuff uses 3.3, but converted frequently-used Applesoft stuff to ProDos as it can handle disks bigger than 140kB :-) (yay, up to 16 megabytes!)
    UCSD has a totally different look-and-feel, being one-letter-menu driven rather than command line driven.
    Main use: developing a kitchen design system that shall remain nameless, and a set of hardware adaptor cards (serial, parallel, coprocessor) that shall also remain nameless!

PDP-11:
    RT-11, RSX-11M, RSX-11D/IAS
    RT-11 suffers from difficulty in addressing memory above 64k, unless apps are linked with "virtual overlays" which the XM build maps into segments by fiddling with the APR's (seg regs in the memory management card). Also only runs one foreground and one background task.
    RSX-11M actually allows several users to be logged in concurrently :-)
    RSX-11D/IAS (Interactive Applications System) is actually older than RSX-11M, the latter being a redesign of RSX-11D to fit in machines smaller than the 11/70. In turn, VMS was a redesign of RSX-11M, and WNT (Windows NT, M$'s best operating system) was a redesign of VMS. From then on it went gradually downhill, descending to XP and Vista, via 2K... hehehe. Anyway... IAS was an extension (as a kernel-mode device driver) to RSX-11D (in a similar way that Win32K.sys is an extension (kernel-mode driver) to NTOSKrnl.exe) that implemented timesharing, allowing multiuser multitasking (later to be integrated into the optimized kernel with the arrival of RSX-11M.) The system I had (now relocated to Bletchley Park) supported 32 tty's, some at 9600 baud (for VT100's and Microvitec colour VDU's), some at 1200/75 baud (for modems), and a line printer (LA120). Main use: running a free-access multi-user text adventure (Wanderland) in the late 80's!

Intel 486 (oo ee a modern CPU at last!) 33MHz:
    DOS 4 (yuk), DOS 5 (yayness!), DOS 6.* (redundant), DesqView (mega-yayness!), Windows 3.x (futility in a box... hehehe)
    All too familiar to most of you I spose, except DesqView, which was a clever bolt-on goodie for DOS which made it multitask (in text mode -- unless apps were virtualized into switchable graphics memory) just like good old RSX... hehehe ;-)

AMD K6 266 MHz:
    Windows NT 4 SP 4: still usable, and runs in only 64 MB of RAM :-) (I also have a box with only 32 MB which happily runs NT4 pre-active-desktop, SP1 I guess).

Pentium 2.4 GHz:
    Windows 2000: WhatI mainly use for development (VC++6, ATL, MFC, etc.), games, and multimedia. Has 512MB of RAM.

Celeron (cacheless Pentium) 2.7 GHz:
    Windows XP (chi rho... hehehe... cairo) SP 2:
    Only used for internet-end processing, e.g. browsing (IE7), scrobbling (WMP10), telephony (own code), and HTTP webpage serving (I don't trust M$ here, again used own code).

Sorry this post is far too long and tends to waffle too much :-)

• nghost sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jun 2007, 21:18
    win2003en sp1, ms sql server 2000, vs2003/2005 :)

• My OS

I use Linux (Kubuntu Feisty) . . .

For coding I usually just use Kate (although I have been playing around a little with KDevelop for C/C++/Ruby and IDLE for Python)

I use Kate or nano for shell scripts and Quanta Plus for XHTML/CSS/PHP

. . . and Amarok for music (and Last.fm)

• I just use Windows XP.

• Spikeles sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jun 2007, 02:59
    I used to use Gentoo Linux for both my home and work environments. But sadly i've become more addicted to gaming so i switched back to using Windows mainly on my home PC, and i changed jobs to where they only use Windows.

Linux:
    IDE: IBM Eclipse with the C++ and Java addons
    GUI/WM: KDE. Lets me get my work done quicker and easier than gnome. but when i want to watch movies or do heavy work i use Openbox
    Media Player: mplayer. Amarok(BEST EVER!) for music, Xine for DVD's
    Browser: Firefox and/or Opera
    Text editing: VIM
    Communicator: Kopete
    Image Editor: Gimp
    HTML Editor: VIM
    Source Control: CVS
    Download manager: Aria

Windows:
    IDE: Eclipse as stated above
    GUI/WM: Windowblinds from Stardock
    Media Player: My 80gb ipod :P... ok. fine. it's Winamp
    Browser: As above
    Text Editing: UltraEdit. worth the money, go get it. Can also be used as a full programming IDE
    Communicator: aMSN
    Image Editor: Gimp
    HTML Editor: HTML-Kit
    SSH: Putty
    Source Control: CVS
    Download manager: FreeDownloadManager ( like GetRight but without the ads )

Most played games atm:
    World of Warcraft (70 Alliance Mage Uther Server)
    Supreme Commander
    Oblivion
    Armed Assault

• 3MAJ sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jun 2007, 22:11
    WinXP SP2

seasons change, and so can I
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jun 2007, 22:34
    Gentoo GNU/Linux and Mac OS X.

Gentoo on server and workstation, mac os x on the laptop.

editors that I mainly use are (g)Vim and Textmate.

Mainly doing Perl or Ruby (Rails) development at the moment.

Other tools are trac, subversion, mongrel, mysql and (soon) postgres.

• Användare
    • 6 jun 2007, 03:28
    Windows XP SP2 slimmed down to a suitable size with nLite. I've tried to switch to Linux but have always had so many problems it doesn't seem worth it (no offense intended).

• Användare
    • 6 jun 2007, 14:40
    I am using Linux (Ubuntu, Feisty) and Code::Blocks Nightly Build as programming IDE.

• Användare
    • 6 jun 2007, 16:25
    Kubuntu Feisy but i have some problems with my KDevelop

• Arghonor sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 jun 2007, 17:38
    At work:
    WinXP, Suse Linux 10.2 (I hate it) and one Gentoo.
    Visual Studio 2003, Emacs, GCC

At home:
    Gentoo ;-)
    Emacs, GCC

Wow, I just figured out, that nobody else uses Emacs, everybody uses VI / VIM ^^

• kkapron sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 jun 2007, 16:02
    Windows XP nad Ubuntu 6.10

vim!!

• Nerdd sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 jun 2007, 22:09
    At work I'm using Win XP Professional. We have some sort of Linux distribution, we can use, if we want, but then we exclude ourself from support from the help desk, and the distro isn't functioning perfect. Otherwise I would have switched long time ago.

At home it's OSX I'm using and have been using for a year - and I'll never go back (I think). It really suits my needs really good.

Both at work and at home I'm using the Eclipse IDE for development, and Vim to configuration and minor text editing.

• I'm using Win XP at work and at home. Because I'm making programs for users under Win XP. I need to use Windows everywhere to be in touch with my clients possible problems. ;-)
    And I'm using Visual Studio 2003 .Net as IDE.
    And Far (file manager) with colorer plugin for minor text/config editing or php editing.

• Gentoo, use kdevelop for ruby on rails, quanta for php and some other web stuff, monodevelop for asp.net in linux...

using apache2 with mod_mono mod_php5 and mongrel for RoR.

mysql for the database.

of course i use amarok for my music and scrobbling :-D cant program without Cake .

website running on my gentoo server

• Zash sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 jun 2007, 13:14
    Running ubuntu on my job-ws, home-ws and server. Vim ftw

• Home: Windows XP
    Work: Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 R2

• uldaman sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 jun 2007, 16:51
    I use Win XP mainly, and Visual Studio 2003.NET for my programming projects. I also have a Fedora-core box I use for my unix programming. But I haven't been using that much lately, I gotta find something new and interesting to do with it. Maybe get myself a raid card and a bunch of crappy hard drives

0_o
    • Användare
    • 8 jun 2007, 22:14

Linux of course!!!

I'm running Mepis 6.5
    I love Debian but it was too hard to setup the way I like so I switched to Mepis. It's small, compact and does everything I want :-)

• neugii sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 jun 2007, 13:11
    win xp sp2
    mac OSX 10.4

• Användare
    • 9 jun 2007, 18:12
    XP Pro x64 sp2 (2k3) on my trusty E6300

• blecsan sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 jun 2007, 10:31
    Home: 2x XpSP2,Xp2000 , SuSe9.3, Debian Sarge on my Server (+some old box on RH)
    Uni: FreeBSD, Fedora Core5
    Work: Fedora Core5

Development: Visual Studio (Uni), devc++ (home for uni proj), gcc 3.4, g++, vi and (lewl) winvi

Daemons: apache, mysql(+php)

Some other not worth mentioning. Strange enough, i can't seem to log/use graphic desktops like KDE or Gnome, bash/sh servs me well

"i'll think about it, not right now though"
    ๑۩۞۩๑ Made in Hell, finished in Transylvania ๑۩۞۩๑
    • majeru sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 jun 2007, 18:45
    Dev tools: gvim, eclipse, codeblocks, gcc, autotools, gdb
    WM: e17

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.