• Huh? Either I don't understand your post, or you didn't understand mine.
    My problem is the inconsistency of the arguments both functions take. Do you remember the order of haystack and needles in all functions you use? Wouldn't it be WAY easier to use one naming convention? strcoll() or str_coll()? strpad() or str_pad()?. When do you need the underscore? When can you ommit it? When is it first needle, when first haystack? stripslashes() or strip_slashes()?
    Is that what an easy-to-learn-language looks like?

• mitrado sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 jan 2007, 16:25
    gottesgnadentum said:
    Huh? Either I don't understand your post, or you didn't understand mine. When is it first needle, when first haystack? stripslashes() or strip_slashes()?
    Is that what an easy-to-learn-language looks like?

Sorry ... I didn't understand exactly what your problem was...
    I though you failed to understand the "needle + haystack" concept.

But now I see what's troubling you:
    The naming of the functions and arguments standards.

I have to agree with you about that. It's a mess!
    They've failed big time on that aspect of the language, but that doesn't trouble me very much... due to overall easiness of the programming style I can cope with those troubles.

On the other hand, .NET and mostly Java are more standardized in that point but I think it's more messy to code in those platforms than in PHP.
    .NET is a little easier though. Java really sucks!
    It's sluggish and buggy! I simply hated to program in Java and promised to myself that I would avoid it in the future at all costs!

• 1.) Scheme, Erlang, Ocaml, Haskell, CL, etc

2.) I learn new languages all the time, just for the educational gain

• 1. I write my codes in java, on eclipse.

2. Before i coded in java, i've write in perl. But i think, java get better, so i use it everywhere.

• I usually code in java but recently I have been looking for some sources of Scheme. How can I learn Scheme? I mean in my town I can't find any books about it.

• Recently I try some programms in Brainfuck ^_^ This language is quite fun, who doesn't like Turing Machines? XD
    And I also thought of Taxi, which is really amusing, but I can't find an interpreter :O

• ch78mx sa...
    • Användare
    • 19 mar 2007, 05:14
    1) I prefer coding in Java with Netbeans when it's a GUI or Web app, with Notepad++/jEdit/gedit when it's a simpler app. My favorite development OS is Linux

2) This seems to me a double-question:

2.1) Sometimes I get the job done, quick & dirty, with Bash. Other times I use the old-good Java (or BeanShell for prototyping)

2.2) I'd like to use BeanShell (or another OO-scripting language) instead of Bash for sysadmin tasks. Scheme would be another good option since LISP is my favorite language.

3) I think "Reply Tracker" is the answer, though think it doesn't work very well

• telofy sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 mar 2007, 23:39
    1.) Ruby
    2.) That's quite the way I got notice of Ruby.
    3.) You don't really want that, do you? ;-)

I'm sorry for not reading the whole thread now.
    Btw. I'm using kate or vim for simpler apps, eclipse for more complex ones. At the moment I'm learning java, have some experience in python and php and minor knowledge about C, C++, Haskell and some older stuff, since I havn't used it for a long time.

It’s just an object. Doesn’t mean what you think.
    • thendrix sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 mar 2007, 13:33
    leonjohancool said:
    I usually code in java but recently I have been looking for some sources of Scheme. How can I learn Scheme? I mean in my town I can't find any books about it.

Try this one:
    SAIP

It's a very good book.

• Oshuma sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 mar 2007, 10:42

Ruby on Rails is for superheroes.

Lately I've been rather fond of Ruby. Been porting most of my PHP apps over to Ruby on Rails. Heh.

• 1. Scite and kdevelop, or vim, or geany, or kate, or eclipse, or MS visual studio (on university's labs, not on my home), or devcpp.... but mostly the first 2. i do bash, python, php, c/c++, VB. Python is the most recent language i've learned and i hate myself for not to have tried it before, i'm in love with it.

2. I would like to learn ruby, perl, tcl, lua sometime in the near future

• Oshuma sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 apr 2007, 11:37
    RompeRatones said:
    Python is the most recent language i've learned and i hate myself for not to have tried it before, i'm in love with it.

2. I would like to learn ruby, perl, tcl, lua sometime in the near future

Ruby is quite nice and is 'Python-like' as far as I can tell. Of course, I haven't gotten around to actually reading this O'Reilly Python book sitting behind me. Heh.

• lerry sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 apr 2007, 13:27
    For desktop apps, Borland (CodeGear) Delphi is the first and only choice.

For web apps, I prefer M$ ASP.Net (C#).

• 712009 sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 apr 2007, 13:18
    a litle bit of C, C++ im not that good at it(im better on checking other ppl's code) and i understand the most languages...

im good at .php(it kicks .asp's ass all day long)

• czyzz sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 apr 2007, 16:27
    1) I write in.. PASCAL ;) And PHP also.
    2) I always want to learn new things, but I may feel better while programming in well-known language.

Redigerad av czyzz den 10 apr 2007, 18:37
  • i am studying Informatik in germany

I already learned Java with Eclipse, C++ with Visual c++, (but i prefer dev-c++)

What i am learning at the moment is Perl with Eclipse, SQL with Oracle and maybe some php.

btw Delphi is something i knew before studying ;)

• bsdaemon sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 apr 2007, 04:54
    This is a long thread.

1) Depends on the problem domain. Limbo, C, Lisp (which lisp? Donno, no nearly perfect lisp exists), rc, Inferno shell, awk, regex, some random domain specific language I just wrote, forth, Erlang.

2) It depends. Learning new languages is always fun, especially if they fit the problem domain well.

• 1) I use Java for most larger software Programs because it is sooo multiplatform, and PHP for web Programming.

2) I would learn the new Language, because it is always fun to get better and everytime you learn a new Language you also change your view on Programming.

3) Think the Problem is solved by now

• KurakDev sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 apr 2007, 16:13
    1. C++ - i code in visual c++ 2k5
    2. I think I would learn new language; :)

• deadowl sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 apr 2007, 19:24
    Preferred Language for General Stuff: C++
    Preferred Language for Math Stuff: Lisp

Other Languages I am familiar with: C, Java, OCaml, Scheme, MIPS...

Alright, I admit I'd need a reference book for MIPS, but it's not like I write assembly code all day long every day. In fact, maybe even only once a year.

One thing that bothers me is how some people believe C# is superior to C++. I mean, seriously, it's just Microsoft trying to compete with Java, which is superior in trying to achieve its goals. Still, Java has a bit of ways to go. C# is just a proprietary piece of crap.

• app103 sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 apr 2007, 10:45
    1. I am a self taught independent donationware developer of small desktop utilities for Windows...Delphi is my preferred language to work with.

2. I have experimented with quite a few languages. I think I will stick with Delphi till I become bored with it and it doesn't present me with any new challenges. That will be quite awhile.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 maj 2007, 20:44
    1. PHP/MySQL, and JavaScript on client-side.

2. Depends. If it was worth learning the new language, I'd do it. But if I just needed a quick program, I'd stick with something I already know.

• kkapron sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 maj 2007, 08:11
    1. Pascal, C/C++, a little bit Java

2. I would choose a language that I already know

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 maj 2007, 14:06
    PHP/MySQL.

• nunomp sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 maj 2007, 18:50
    C -> kate
    PHP -> eclipse

Careful with that axe, Eugene ...
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.