Why has the Multi-Tag search been shut down?

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 jan 2010, 01:02

Why has the Multi-Tag search been shut down?

The multi-tag search has been a very useful tool to me. I use it when I want to look for a new artist/band with variety musical styles and the right matching tags. Last.fm doesn't have this quality since you can only search for one tag instead of 2 or more tags at the sametime. It is sad and a nightmare to see this tool been taken down from the Last.fm Playground. I pray and wish for this tool to come back. I cannot live without this tool...

• Användare
    • 15 jan 2010, 21:50
    You've been able to use Multi-Tag Radio through the web player since the middle of last year, so I guess the Playground version is now deprecated/irrelevant?

The radio version seems much better anyway. From memory, the Playground one wasn't "true" multi-tag radio; it merely performed a search across the specified tags, took the artist IDs and started playing multi-artist radio based off those IDs. The radio version sticks true to the tags.

• Why can't the multi-tag-search be available for the client too?

• Användare
    • 17 jan 2010, 06:20
    StudleyUK said:
    You've been able to use Multi-Tag Radio through the web player since the middle of last year, so I guess the Playground version is now deprecated/irrelevant?

The radio version seems much better anyway. From memory, the Playground one wasn't "true" multi-tag radio; it merely performed a search across the specified tags, took the artist IDs and started playing multi-artist radio based off those IDs. The radio version sticks true to the tags.
    But most of the bands I've been searching for on this search tool for the past 7months are mostly non-streamable. Besides, the multi-tag radio sucks because it takes awhile for it to load for some of us. The multi-tag tool occasionally has artists/bands with the right matching multi-tags in my opinion. I'm not looking for Mutli-Tag radio though. Unlike the search tool from Playground, Last.fm limits the number of tags being played on the Multi-Tag radio and searching for tags which is a huge turn-off. But, the reason why I wish for this search tool to be reborn is that Last.fm gives me boring recommendations. By the way, multi-tag radio and multi-tag search are 2 different things.

• Användare
    • 17 jan 2010, 06:21
    pol_noir said:
    Why can't the multi-tag-search be available for the client too?
    I have the same question aswell. Maybe their too lazy or haven't had that idea yet.

• Personally , I much prefer to find music on my own, rather than from a selection of music randomly chosen for me.

I don't see why we can't have both, anyway.

• clytie_hizashi said:
    Personally , I much prefer to find music on my own, rather than from a selection of music randomly chosen for me.

I don't see why we can't have both, anyway.

But we'll agree that, many times, random provides beautiful surprises too. Also, given certain parameters, is not completely random.

Anyway, Last.Fm is pretty much based on a more "randomized" experience of music.
    They keep stating that, at least (and despite the fact that the music rights involved force'em to go into that direction).

However, no moderator here to answer my question in the first place?.
    I mean, what's the point of giving us this space if no moderator shows up?

• But we'll agree that, many times, random provides beautiful surprises too. Also, given certain parameters, is not completely random.

True, but because I have a slow internet speed, and because many of the bands I like aren't streamable, it's not useful to me at all. ^^

• Fipaj sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 jan 2010, 20:15
    I miss it a lot! it's been a great way to discover new artists: much cleaner and simplier way... I even used it to look for one-tag searches only too, as it was much better for me than Last.fm tag pages.

clean, useful design, too.

bring it back in that stripped-down form, please!

• Fipaj sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 jan 2010, 20:17
    oh, and I can't use the radio because I'm not a subscriber. besides, I don't want to play those tracks, I just want to see the artists list!

• Yes! It was the most useful tool of all!
    it made it very easy to find exactly the bands, you were looking for. bringh it back!

• The multi-tag search was of great use to me, and I would appreciate if it would make a return in some form.

last.fm#DIV(class=messageSig)
  • The Multi Tag Search was indeed retired. Since we have Multi Tag Radio now, it just didn't seem that worthwhile anymore to keep maintaining it. However, if enough people think it'd still be useful to have, I'm sure we could try to get it back in some form or another...

• I want it back too! It was so useful. The multi-tag radio is great, but I want to be able to discover new bands that may not be streamable on last.fm too.
    How can we get it back?

Kat

• Sagehorn sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 feb 2010, 12:55
    lol, u discuss this like the multi-tag search is the same as the multi-tag radio.. but it's not!

it was a bad decision to kick it.. bring it back! ;)

• dblistmu sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 feb 2010, 16:33
    I want it back as well! Let the multi tag search out !! :D There is nothing more useful for a big database then a powerful search engine.
    There are still people who look on their own for new bands/composers so multi tag radio is not that appropriate tool for that.

• Some form or the other?!? Seriously, i've thought you removed it because you are finally integrating this into the library interface and the global tag cloud. i've actually tried various weird urls in the hope you are already there and the feature is just hidden. So, it will take another 2 years?

Sorry, that i lost my temper in the other feedback forum - your playground blogs, this amazon thing - applications that were already nicely implemented by people of your community when at the same time you discontinue your widgets and facebook integration with the pointer to the build page - that's a slap in the face - your ad layout problems and then this here. It was just too much, considering all the other things that neither get done nor communicated. i'm seriously disappointed.

• Please bring back multi-tag search.

• Please bring back multi-tag search.

• changes as reduction?

changes as reduction are to some things emergency idiom. however sometimes those repealed necessary functions set. I evaluated that one ''multi-tag'' as very useful and helpful. the removal ''multi-tag'' does largely limit the use of tools with ''Last.fm''.

• Waes-GOD sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 feb 2010, 23:56
    Please bring back multi-tag search.

• I don't understand why it was removed in the first place. It seems like an obvious function to me, much more useful for a site designed with musical discovery in mind than, say, Most Unwanted Scrobbles.

Please bring it back. In its original form, preferably.

• N3xX13 sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 feb 2010, 12:50
    I'm only since a few weeks or so on Last.fm so didn't know this function is there. But I'd love to be able to use it!

• Användare
    • 24 feb 2010, 22:11
    Add another voice to the "bring it back" brigade. How does multi-tag radio duplicate the functionality? It's not the same thing at all! One gives you a list of search results that you can explore, the other gives you a radio-stream that you can listen to one song at a time in randomized, no-looking-ahead order. Both are useful, neither (even remotely) duplicates the other's functionality.

• it was very useful tool, please, bring it back

better get used to bein' my used to be
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.