Event Map

• Event Map

http://playground.last.fm/eventmap

A new tool on the Playground. I kinda like it as I can now search for concerts for a city that's not in my near but where I'm more or less often.

What do you think about it?

• Kmarmol sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 dec 2008, 23:58
    Seems like an overly complicated way to do something that last.fm already did before they messed about with it.

• It would be nice to toggle between recommended and all events.

Also a date filter...?

• tlacenka sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 jan 2009, 23:32
    i would like to see more than 10 events from the chosen area

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 jan 2009, 23:11
    i want it to show not only events of artists from my library but every event in the selected area

• basswulf sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 jan 2009, 12:57

Great idea - sketchy results

I think the interface is great but am sure there must be more going on round Oxford UK that is flagged on Last.FM than one thing next month!

I think five or ten events in the near future is a good start for the visual interface, linking through to a more traditional page that allows browsing of all forthcoming events. I also like the concept of a date filter, allowing both future (what's on in this city when I visit in the summer?) and past (I want to find pictures people have taken at gigs in my area).

Wulf

• smaister sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 jan 2009, 14:01

Very nice...

I think this is a great tool already. My wishlist would be:

more events display
    all events/library events filter
    date filter

Then it should really be integrated into the main site.

• tiojoca sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 jan 2009, 15:34
    I subscribe to the requests above, but I think that rather than adding these Events page features to this Playground tool, maybe you should add this Playground tool to the Events page (as a filter).

Speaking of which, it would be nice if you could create custom ical/rss feeds based on Events page search results.

• tiojoca, that's pretty much the goal of playground! Some ideas on playground graduate to the web site, after we've looked at them very carefully and taken notes (on eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each) from all the feedback and usage stats.

• hvk sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 15 jan 2009, 11:37
    I like it, but the map could be made a lot biger than the current pokey narrow box.

The venue markers are only shown for a small radius, it'd be nice to see them shown for a bigger radius too.

You could use coloured markers for each venue, then show the corresponding coloured marker next to each gig on the right. And the name of each venue before the gig list in the map popup.

Being able to use more filtering would be good, to see later gigs or recommended events, and so on.

Also, here's some stuff I'd like to see that I posted here about the Last(.fm) Music Map, that would be nice here too.

What I'd like to see is:

If I enter an artist name, I'd like the option to be able to see not just the upcoming events, but all of them (or: just past, just future, both past and future). I think it'd be really interesting to see all the places in the world they've ever played.

Also, I'd like to see all my events I've attended on a map, mainly all the past events but you could do a similar past only/future only/both past and future. I think that would be very cool thing to see as well!

• Alan71 sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 jan 2009, 17:58
    I tested it a while ago and here are my thoughts:

Map integration? Yeah, why not. I might travel for a show. Now, on Last.fm, I have to switch between Quebec and Montreal all the time and that's exhausting.
    But what's the current app on the playground? Nothing more than the radius we could set on the old last.fm. Except that it's cooler with all that drap'n'drop web2.0 google mashup features. Wait? Am I playing buzzword bingo here?
    So well, I think there's something beneath this app, but that might not be the way it should be done.

What if the zoom level defines the location and radius? i.e. events should be displayed if their venue is visible on the map.
    I'll soon (I think) go back to France. Back there, I lived in Nantes, but often went to Rennes (~100km / 60 miles). If I could just zoom out to see events from both Nantes and Rennes, that'd be perfect. But I might also go to Paris. If I could just zoom out/zoom in (or use the hand) to the city I'll go next week-end, that'd be awesome.

On other topics, the best playground app is imho Musical Soulmates. Clearly a better algorithm that the current implementation of neighbours (that I don't even bother to look at).

As someone said in the blog entry (which encouraged me to post my feedback), what about the GMail/FB/whatever friends harvesting feature?

And one last thing, when will feeds be available for forums?

I hope that someday, Last.fm will become a social network.

• mkuzmin sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 jan 2009, 23:34
    what I actually need is additional RSS feeds with recommended events in specific cities.
    This map is cool but requires to manually open it each time.

• ogsy sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 jan 2009, 01:18
    I don't really get what the map adds to a system where you can just enter a city and see a text list. You only really need to know the exact location until you are ready to go to the show, at which point you need a text link to standard Google maps.

• ogsy said:
    I don't really get what the map adds to a system where you can just enter a city and see a text list. You only really need to know the exact location until you are ready to go to the show, at which point you need a text link to standard Google maps.

Good point. People pick shows by the line-up, and location is quite likely secondary. But many big cities are dense enough that there's a whole lot going on every night. I think maps can help in this scenario, particularly if you're an impulse person.

Also I just think they're pretty, although that alone is probably not a compelling argument :-)

• It's nice!!

Hi,

i've been trying the eventmap tool and it's great, i really liked the javascript widget to select the radio of the zone. I supose you use the last.fm API in order the get all the events from the center point with the distance of the radio. I liked it.

I were playing with the last.fm API some time ago, nothing important, i wrote a "robot" in order to catch info from last.fm and a webapp written in Django to provide the results. It has some javascript code with jQuery.

It has GPL license so if you want to use you are free to do, https://launchpad.net/evzone.

Bye, and thanks for last.fm!!!

• ogsy said:

I travel a lot with work and would love a very quick way to see who was playing in a town or nearby. So in this case, location is primary and artist secondary...

• ogsy sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 jan 2009, 02:40
    NoiseXTerror said:
    ogsy said:

I travel a lot with work and would love a very quick way to see who was playing in a town or nearby. So in this case, location is primary and artist secondary...

Yes but I still don't see how the map itself helps. The location search is useful, ordering results by distance from the location is useful, the map just shows you where the venues are in a given town - and you only care about that after you've used the distance and artist criteria to select a show.

• Re: Very nice...

smaister said:
    I think this is a great tool already. My wishlist would be:

more events display
    all events/library events filter
    date filter

Then it should really be integrated into the main site.

Agreed!

• jmuguy sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 apr 2009, 22:08
    erikfrey said:
    tiojoca, that's pretty much the goal of playground! Some ideas on playground graduate to the web site, after we've looked at them very carefully and taken notes (on eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each) from all the feedback and usage stats.

Surprised I'm the first to catch the Arlo Guthrie reference. Anyway this is the sort of thing I was looking for. My main thing is I look for events in my city but I'd rather see events state-wide which right now doesn't seem to work right. I can set my location as "north carolina" but I get shows out in CA. Multiple rss feeds based off searches would be great.

I was just talking to my buddy today about missing shows all the time because venues don't all promote consistently and so I'm glad last.fm is here and I think with a few more options the events section would be my one stop shop for figuring out who's playing and where

• Smigs sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 apr 2009, 23:36
    the eventmap is very useful for me, because there aren't many events in my city(kingston upon hull, uk); when i view the event listings for hull in last.fm normally, it is filled up with stuff from other cities (leeds, york, sheffield), which i can't get to because i don't have a car and there aren't any trains back after the gigs finish. this makes the normal events page useless, for a quick look, because i have to discard half of it to figure out what's actually going on. if the event map showed upcoming events (currently it just shows those with the lowest event ids, i.e. the ones entered first), it would be perfect.

• Doesn't work anymore

I tried the eventmap and I liked it, but now it is broken.
    There ist no Map and the OK, Lets go link doesn't work.

When I enter a City at the google input field nothing happens.
    Will this usefull little app be fixed?

greets
    steven

• It is still broken

Is there an alternative to it?

greets

• It doesn't work for me either. Please fix Event Map, Last.FM! I miss it :(

• :/

Same here. Considering I travelled to 5 countries in recent time to visit concerts and festivals, I LOVED that feature for discovering absolute highlights I would've never heard of otherwise. Please fix it - and then maybe even integrate it to the regular page :)

(On second thought .. don't fix it - I'll save A LOT of money. :D)

• le-zero sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 sep 2009, 18:33

needs a fix!

hey guys! i guess the event map needs a fix, it doesn't work anymore.
    found a lot of cool concerts with it, so please make it come back!

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.