Musical Soulmates (the new Neighbours)

• I don't get it

I just discovered "Musical Soulmates" but none of the options I add is taken into account, the results are always the same and don't refine !
    Any idea of what can be the problem?

• Musical Soulmates is about to be retired

Sorry Emalquier, the musical soulmates demo won't work for all users right now, and will be retired altogether in the next few days.

The good news is that we'll have a demo of some brand-new Neighbours features up and running on playground shortly after that!

Emalquier said:
    I just discovered "Musical Soulmates" but none of the options I add is taken into account, the results are always the same and don't refine !
    Any idea of what can be the problem?

• Ok, thanks for the update, really looking forward to it!

• Paradoks sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 feb 2010, 13:50
    Well, late to the party I guess, but still:

I find it hard to judge a neighbour system without being able to listen to neighbourhood radio.

Otherwise, for neighbours, I always enjoy the magical idea of finding the person with the most similar listening habits. I don't mind it so much if I don't have new neighbours each month (week even?).
    Best would be if unique combinations are taken into account. So that I can find other people who listen to a lot of reggae, ambient, country and nu-soul for instance.

• Nobantu sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 feb 2010, 19:27

soulmate.....

...as much as I like the idea, what kind of a soulmate would that be - I listen to more than 500 artists ( not counted the 1000 I listen to seldom...), and the "soulmate" has just about 70 in common.....ok, not bad at all...a friend, but a soulmate?
    anyway, I like the suggestion of RiotGrrrlCS:
    >What I really also love about it is that it tells you exactly the number of artists that person has in common with you. That said, wouldn't it be better if instead of just saying, for example "(and 55 others)", that could be a link and when you clicked "(and 5 others)" you could see a list of all the actual 55 artists you have in common with that person? I tihnk that would be awesome.<

• Paradoks sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 feb 2010, 20:26
    I wonder if it would be a good idea to factor in if the artists you have in common are eachothers similar artist. I mean, most of my artist might as well read 'you share Warp Records' or 'you share Kompakt label', it's way more special if we share Aphex Twin, Reinhard Voigt, The Congos and Ralph Stanley than if we share Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Autechre and Plaid

• I think Paradoks idea is a good one. It's like comparing groups by their 'unique to this this group' charts. I made the curious discovery that for some artists last.fm has calculated the similar artists solely based on my library. Despite the fact that those lists don't really serve their purpose it's still interesting to see that they display a mix of which i can say that it makes my library unique. For that reason it might be obvious only to me, of course. But another user who has such an artist combination in their library might be indeed a musical soulmate.

On the other hand, one could also try to achieve the opposite. Imagine an idealized szenario with two user charts which don't intersect at all but the set of nearest neighbours in the respective similar artists lists do heavily. i think finding those neighbours is the most interesting for music discovery.

Actually i would like to have neigbours calculated based on tracks instead of just artists. i know that's out of question at the moment, but i know for sure that the fan base of my favourite band The Upsetters would seperate into two flocks evenly.

• Last.fm Playground must be mocking me. My first "musical soulmate" is my ex-boyfriend, who broke up with me one week ago. -_- Thank you, last.fm.

• What I would like is neighbours for different periods of time, like:
    overall, last year, last 3 months, last week

For some people the music taste changes and the old scrobbels are of less value. But others like me still love their "old" top artists.

Another thing for me is that most of my neighbour either listen exclusively mediaeval folk OR (symphonic) black metal.
    I like both, most of my "neighbours" and "soulmates" don't.

But I have no idea how to deal with the problem. It is however not that terrible since they still reflect an important part of my favourite music.

All in all, I think the neighbours service should be more adjustable.

• New Neighbourhood demo

TR0LLbarn said:
    What I would like is neighbours for different periods of time, like:
    overall, last year, last 3 months, last week.

Please check out the new musical neighbourhood demo, I hope you will like it!

• michalboo sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 14 mar 2010, 13:27

Re: New Neighbourhood demo

gamboviol said:
    Please check out the new musical neighbourhood demo, I hope you will like it!

Love it, thanks! Personally, 'Weekly neighbours' was one of Last.fm's most sorely missed features, so to have this instead is great. Definitely needs user pictures in the 'X's neighbours' section, to keep it consistent with the rest of the site (I realise this is a playground demo, so it's no big deal)

• yes, looks good! the weekly neighbours list with "listening now" instead of "shared artists" on the dashboard would be awesome! like michalboo said, one of the most sorely missed features :)

• Nobantu sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 mar 2010, 15:21

soulmate

I found the one who listens to Rock as well as to Jazz - almost exactly like me and to almost the same groups/bands/musicians like me! Coincidently! Nowhere listed as neighbour or soulmate......

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.