Songs that mention Pittsburgh

• Songs that mention Pittsburgh

I don't know about you, but I get kind of excited when I hear any mention of Pittsburgh in a song, so I thought it would be fun to try and compile a sort of master list with the people who oughtta know best.

So, here are the few I can think of off hand...

Guy Mitchell - Pittsburgh Pennsylvania --- This one is especially fun because it's the song Malvina Reynolds nabbed the tune for "Little Boxes" from. If you're a "Weeds" fan, you'll appreciate this.

The Outcasts - I'm In Pittsburgh (And It's Raining) --- I've only heard The Cynics version of this song, but this was apparently a big hit for The Outcasts. Wikipedia said "The opening lyrics – I'm in Pittsburgh and it's rainin' / I'm sittin' in the subway here complainin' – combine a near non sequitur with an error of fact (Pittsburgh doesn't have a subway system – which cooled off the initial rush of record sales in that city after listeners began to notice)." --- While this may have been true at the time of release, Pittsburgh has had the T-station (or Light Rail) since the late 80's, making this song once again relevant.

The Traveling Song --- Brief name drop, but come on, it's the Avett Bros.

I'm obvious oblivion, but that's my science. Fuck ya head up like cornrows put in by blind giants.
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jan 2009, 13:44
    Sin City - "Sin City please don't take my lover's heart for my mine will break / It's no Pittsburgh, please don't go..."

Life During Wartime "What about Pittsburgh, PA?"

America "...as we boarded the Greyhound in Pittsburgh."

• like any Wiz Khalifa song.

• nicklon sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 jan 2009, 17:44
    I'm on One

Pizzzzburrrgghhh, P-AAAA

NICKLON
  • that there here we go STILLERZ song? eh? eh?

• batmondx sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 feb 2009, 04:07
    My Favorite Highway - Steel City ?

• kxm sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 mar 2009, 16:33
  • Mario Lemieux is God
    • Shad4k sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 28 maj 2009, 22:52
    The first two songs that always come to mind for me are the Charlie Daniels song already mentioned (In America), and Body of an American by The Pogues.

Hail to thee, for hailed thou art, by the voice of Veratyr.
  • There's I'm In Pittsburgh (And It's Raining) by the Vibes. Brilliant track, but written by an English band who may never have actually visited Pittsburgh. It mentions a subway years before the T went underground. I love it anyway.

• Användare
    • 21 jun 2009, 23:03
    Morrissey's "On the Streets" mentions the 'Burgh. Really random and caught me off-guard.

Also, and I don't know if this counts, Johnny Cash's "I've Been Everywhere."

• Användare
    • 24 jun 2009, 01:39
    Dropkick Murphys' "Wicked Sensitive Crew"!

"In Pittsburgh they called us closed minded, but we know that's simply not true."

• Living in America
    (one of the five or so cities he shouts out)

Swinging Swords
    (also shout out)

Margarita
    (sung by Bob Dylan)

"It was in Pittsburgh, late one night
    I lost my hat, got into a fight
    I rolled and tumbled, till I saw the light
    Went to the big apple, took a bite"

... sounds like a diss to me.

Friday Night

"This bitch is fly as a bird
    And gotta ass that could swang from California all the way up thru
    Pittsburgh"

That's all I can think of off the top.

• Great posts, guys! There seems to be a few running themes here - traveling songs (especially from a musician's perspective), songs where the singer yells out "Pittsburgh," and Irish music? Interesting. Well, here's another to add to the former category.

Hard Travelin' (Woody Guthrie)

I'm obvious oblivion, but that's my science. Fuck ya head up like cornrows put in by blind giants.
  • I'm surprised no one had mentioned it yet but there also Loudon Wainwright III's Ode to Pittsburgh. The whole song is one long localized reference-filled lovefest.

"Stop crying, you sniveling ass! Stop your nonsense."
  • rundgren

Todd Rundgren - "The Range War"
    epic Pittsburgh mention

• runfromfire said:
    I'm surprised no one had mentioned it yet but there also Loudon Wainwright III's Ode to Pittsburgh. The whole song is one long localized reference-filled lovefest.

On that note, I find it laughable how someone screwed up the lyrics to that song very badly here.

"May I drink the Dukay thirst."
    Y'mean Duquesne? I've sent cinnamints from Shadyside before, too. haha

• eijanaika said:
    There's I'm In Pittsburgh (And It's Raining) by the Vibes. Brilliant track, but written by an English band who may never have actually visited Pittsburgh. It mentions a subway years before the T went underground. I love it anyway.

I think that is a cover of a song by The Outcasts: I'm In Pittsburgh (And It's Raining). They were from Texas, so still the same issue about the subway.
    Wikipedia page for The Outcasts

• The Pogues - Body of an American

"He fought the champ in pittsburgh
    And he slashed him to the ground"

Random, caught me off guard, just like that Morrissey one (On The Streets)

• km12520 sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 maj 2010, 22:59

Like that one song by New Found Glory
    You.ve got a friend in Pennsylvania :)

I fucked one on a freight train
    Rolled a load all night
    Fucked a girl in Pittsburgh
    The Steelers won that night
    Dwarves

there goes my gun...
  • Chuck Berry - Sweet Little Sixteen:
    "They're really rockin' in Boston
    In Pittsburgh, Pa."

Bruce Springsteen - A Good Man Is Hard To Find (Pittsburgh):
    "It's cloudy out in Pittsburgh / It's raining in Saigon / Snow's falling all across the Michigan line"

Woody Guthrie - Pittsburgh Town:
    "Pittsburgh Town is a smoky old town / Solid iron from McKeesport down."

• sweet little sixteen

sweet little sixteen

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.