First Time You Ever Heard Floyd

• First Time You Ever Heard Floyd

I am 17, and I can't remember the first time I ever heard Pink Floyd, because I had been brought up on: Pink Floyd, The War of the Worlds (disc 1: The Coming of the Martians) & The War of the Worlds (disc 2), And Electric Light Orchestra (the list goes on) The main memories I have of Pink Floyd as a child is three things:
    Watching the Pulse concert on VHS and being captivated by the lights and amazed by the plane.
    Watching The Wall when I think I was personally too young, but I remember it had a very dramatic impact on me even at that age.
    And singing Another Brick On The Wall (of which I just called by We Don't Need Know Education) at a school talent quest in primary school.

I am just wondering if anyone else can remember a distinct moment that got them into Floyd, or that time when it just filled that gap.

• Ja2ger sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 jan 2006, 14:11
    I don't remember when wae "this first time"... but I remember that I was performing a few songs from begining of "The Wall" in shool when I was 7. I've performed it on... tennis racquet :D ...tgose amazing guitar solos... ;)

Ja2ger.carbonmade.com
    • bontzy sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 jan 2006, 15:23
    my dad bought the animals cd and i gave it a listen. i was hooked, i must have been like 14-16

• My dad gave me PULSE-Live. I knew Another Brick In The Wall. Part II before I got this CD. Must have heard it anywhere. First I hated Pink Floyd. I think I was 10 or something.
    Some years later I found the CDs while cleaning my room. I put in the player and suddenly I loved Pink Floyd.
    I think you have to be in the right age(14 years) to understand Pink Floyd and then you can love them.

• I was 22 (pretty late!) - my friend was making me listen to the wall disc-2 but I wasn't really paying attention, until I heard run like hell. I was amazed by the power of that song, I started to listen to their other stuff and now it's one of my favorite things to do in life.

• Re:

Quoth Guenther0815:
    My dad gave me PULSE-Live. I knew Another Brick In The Wall. Part II before I got this CD. Must have heard it anywhere. First I hated Pink Floyd. I think I was 10 or something.
    Some years later I found the CDs while cleaning my room. I put in the player and suddenly I loved Pink Floyd.
    I think you have to be in the right age(14 years) to understand Pink Floyd and then you can love them.

What minimalistic thinking...pffft "you have to be in the right age". Seriously, that makes NO sence at ALL. I started listening to the Floyd when I was...five years old or something, and even then I loved it and still do now. I went to see the P.U.L.S.E. concert when I was at the age of 11/12 btw.

• Ok, ok! I can only speak for myself.

• Ok, sounds better ;)

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 jan 2006, 19:46
    I think I was like 13 and I heard some on Atomfilms.com, wasn't interested then, sure am now.

• Probably my freshman year of highschool. I was walking down the hallway, I'm not sure why, skipping class no doubt. But anyways I was walking when I suddenly heard this wierd sound. My concept of music was different back then so what I heard was strange... and compelling. I finally found the locker where the music was playing from and I kind of just stood there, listening, it was wierd. Then I spotted my friend turning the corner and I yelled at him and I quote (exact words):

"Dude! There's crazy space music coming from this locker!"

And that was the first time I heard Pink Floyd. It turned out the locker belonged to another friend of mine and she told me it was Dark Side. I've been a fan ever since.

• thats easy... when i was 3-4 and my dad put on the animals vinyl. i liked the pig on the cover so i wanted to hear it and have been in love with it since...no lie.

"Haven't you heard? Its a battle of words!" the poster bearer cried. "Listen son," said the man with the gun, "Theres room for you inside."
    -us and them
    • Användare
    • 2 feb 2006, 17:07
    I am so F'ing old.

I was either 11 or 12 when Dark Side of the Moon came out. We we're living in England on the same street as the band's manager. So, of course, I had to check them out.

I was such a dork. I remember riding up and down the street on my bike in front of this guy's house somehow thinking he'd notice this cool American kid outside and bring him in to introduce him to the band.

I was a freshman in college when The Wall came out. It was a double LP and a primary use of a double LP back then was to sort the seeds out of your stash. The Wall saw a lot of use. Those days are long behind, but there's probably still trace evidence in my album sleeve (wherever it's packed away.)

I've been lucky enough to see the Floyd a few times over the years.

The moral of the story: Great music stands the test of time. Most of the music you listen to when your younger fades away, but you'll still be listening to Floyd when you're fat and balding.

• sidar sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 feb 2006, 17:42
    My first time listening to Floyd was when I was perusing Kazaa with my father (erm, probably 4-5 years ago). He saw DSOM and told me to download it. I have been listening to that album (and more recently, almost everything else) ever since. I was exposed to psychadelic Floyd only a few months ago, and I like it just as much.

EDIT: And yes I purchased DSOM shortly afterwards.

• JacksonS sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 feb 2006, 18:44

Brought Up On Floyd

I've been brought up on Floyd. As a child my dad played DSOTM and I can remember Money (which was referred to as the cash register song) and Time ( which scared the shit out of me when the bells go of in the first few seconds) Growing up and listening to a classic rock radio station I heard more and more Floyd as I grew up and have liked them more and more ever since.

• About 15 I think. I may have heard them before that but I didn't know it. Anyway my dad bought Dark Side and I listened to it in the car on trip we were on. Honestly I didn't like it at all then, actually I wasn't really into music either. So cut to last summer, now 24, start listening to Dark Side and fall in love with it. Really into Floyd now, have all the albums and can't get enough.

• I think I was about 11 my dad said to me: Listen to this, it´s pink floyd and I thought it was wierd music.... But later I bought there CD only because of one song I liked and did not like all of the songs at first but now I love them all

Lilja Laglega
  • I think I was about 11 my dad said to me: Listen to this, it´s pink floyd and I thought it was wierd music.... But later I bought there CD only because of one song I liked and did not like all of the songs at first but now I love them all

Lilja Laglega

Lilja Laglega
    • Användare
    • 3 feb 2006, 19:49
    A couple of years ago I started listening a local rock radio, and I heard some songs like Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here and got interested in the band.

• Användare
    • 4 feb 2006, 00:19

Re:

Quoth aintitfun:
    A couple of years ago I started listening a local rock radio, and I heard some songs like Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here and got interested in the band.

Actually, that's sorta how I got into the whole classic rock thing myself.

• Al3xF sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 feb 2006, 00:30
    At first I checked out their mainstream songs on the radio. Then I soon got into their better stuff.

• My Dad was a massive Pink Floyd fan, the first time I remember hearing them was when i was 3 or 4 because (like stated above) the chimes on the clocks in "Time" scared teh shit outta me.

• Användare
    • 5 feb 2006, 14:17
    I was given a vinyl copy of PATGOD. As soon as I heard Interstellar Overdrive I became obsessed.

• I don't really remember first hearing Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2, Mother, Wish You Were Here, or Money. But even songs like Us & Them, Shine On, Have a Cigar, and Welcome to the Machine have always seemed very familiar. But I didn't know for a long time that those were all written by the same guys, nor did I know the story behind the songs. It actually wasn't until 2004 (when I met the guitarist in my band) when I really started worshipping Floyd. My guitarist was really into them, and he explained the story of Syd Barrett's rise and fall, the rift between Gilmour and Waters, and made me read the lyrics and learn what the album's were all about. After two days of talking only about Pink Floyd I was obsessed, and I read every book I could get my hands on.
    I don't know about everyone else, but learning the story behind the band really brought their music to life for me. That's really when the "Pink Floyd universe" opened up for me.

I want to learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi like my father.
  • I've listened to the when I was 4years old, It was the wall album, then when I was 9 i watched the movie.

I just love Pink Floyd Echoes it's my favorite song 23minutes and 25 seconds of pure Rock!

How I whish they where here!

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.