New Release Reviews: 2012

• Thinking Plague's latest album Decline and Fall, seems to be the best of 2012 so far, to my ears at least. I can only marvel at Dave Kerman's effortless drumming - a latter-day Bruford. I wasn't particularly struck by Elaine Difalco's guest voice on last year's Yugen album Iridule but it seems to work so much better here. To me, this is genuinely progressive music rather than the pastiche that seems to pass for much of 'new' prog rock.

• Flight123 said:
    Thinking Plague's latest album Decline and Fall, seems to be the best of 2012 so far, to my ears at least. I can only marvel at Dave Kerman's effortless drumming - a latter-day Bruford. I wasn't particularly struck by Elaine Difalco's guest voice on last year's Yugen album Iridule but it seems to work so much better here. To me, this is genuinely progressive music rather than the pastiche that seems to pass for much of 'new' prog rock.

Liking this alot. Very much of the Canterbury Scene but feels fresh and (whispers) 'progressive'. I agree Kerman's work is most excellent. Recommend it to others.

Uncle Jack knows the song of the hedgerows...
  • Thick As A Brick 2

Thick As a Brick 2
    What an utterly fantastic return to form by Anderson et al. Superbly crafted, brilliantly played, witty, whimsical and genuinely progressive - all the things that set Tull apart from the rest then and, thanks to this, now. Going straight into my top 10 of the year.

Highly recommended to any longstanding Tull fans or indeed those who haven't yet fallen under their spell.

Seeing them later this month and this live should be something else combined with the original TAAB.

RATING - Excellent/borderline masterpiece (!)

• n00ah sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 apr 2012, 12:25

Re:OSI - Fire Makes Thunder

Oldprogger64 said:
    I consider this to be OSI's best to date and I recommend it to anyone searching for something 'modern' rather than 'tribute'.
    RATING - Excellent

no words to add! I like the deep atmosphere on this album. excellent stuff indeed!

• Ohmphrey, an instrumental, jam supergroup, which features three members of the veteran prog rock band Umphrey's McGee (keyboardist Joel Cummins, guitarist Jake Cinninger and drummer Kris Myers), former Megadeth guitarist Chris Poland and bassist Robertino Pagliari from Ohm.
    OHMphrey's latest effort, the unforgettable, and soon-to-be-classic, Posthaste, finds these five extraordinary artists creating instrumental music with a unified voice – once again. The album's seven original instrumental compositions, and two bonus live tracks ("Firestarter" and "20/20") recorded at Winston's in San Diego in 2009.

• The Music of French band Children in Paradise is inspired by atmospheric progressiv rock, celtic music and jazz influences also.
    They invite you to travel between Myths, Dreams and Reality. Fragile balance between light and tear, the melodies and rhythms to take you on a pervasive melancholy and authenticity that make the charm. Guitars and traditional Celtic instruments harp, uilleann pipes and low whistle, combine with a soft female voice and mystical, that of Kat Dam, and gently lead you towards the path of the Other World.

Highly recommended!!!

• Re: Thick As A Brick 2

Oldprogger64 said:
    Thick As a Brick 2
    What an utterly fantastic return to form by Anderson et al. Superbly crafted, brilliantly played, witty, whimsical and genuinely progressive - all the things that set Tull apart from the rest then and, thanks to this, now. Going straight into my top 10 of the year.

Highly recommended to any longstanding Tull fans or indeed those who haven't yet fallen under their spell.

Seeing them later this month and this live should be something else combined with the original TAAB.

RATING - Excellent/borderline masterpiece (!)

Crikey......

I must be losing my prog gene :)

About 5 listens in and it's just not working for me.

It's exactly how I imagined it would sound.....you know....kind of TAAB-lite..... But apart from the unexpected and pleasurable mention of fray bentos pies (oh that takes me back), it's not grabbing me much.

So much better than a lot of the poor 2011 prog we all derided.....and hey it's Tull, I just think it needed some Barre magic and I was hoping for more.

Going to file under - as credible as the last Yes album - and see if it's a grower....

grooving with the beat box........wah wah wah :)

• cag71 sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 apr 2012, 10:36
    Yes, TAAB 2 just doesn't quite have the impact of the first TAAB. Releasing a sequel to such a classic album is inevitably going to invite comparisons to the first one, listeners are likely to have high expectations which are very difficult to live up to, so whatever they produce would come in for criticism. I think that TAAB was very much a product of it's time - a time we can savour and admire but never bring back. TAAB 2, likewise, is the product of its time. I can't help thinking that it might have been better if they had worked on something completely different with a new concept, especially considering it's an Ian Anderson release and not Jethro Tull.

Having said that, I still think it's a good album and is not to be sniffed at. It might not be on the same par as TAAB - nothing ever could be - but it's still reminiscent of its predecessor and has merits in its own right.

• amatala sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 17 apr 2012, 12:06
    I absolutely LOVE TAAB2 - it was love at first listen! One of the best albums I've heard in years and undoubtedly on my short list of 1000 most favorite albums ever!

• cag71 sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 apr 2012, 12:41
    amatala said:
    I absolutely LOVE TAAB2 - it was love at first listen! One of the best albums I've heard in years and undoubtedly on my short list of 1000 most favorite albums ever!

Short list of 1000 albums? That's a short list! :-)))

• amatala sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 17 apr 2012, 13:00
    cag71 said:

Short list of 1000 albums? That's a short list! :-)))

That's a VERY short list when taking into account all the albums I have in my collection... So many thousands to leave out in order to be able to fit 1000 only... it's such a daunting task...! ;-)

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 apr 2012, 07:45

Re:Re:Anathema - Weather Systems

Oldprogger64 said:
    NdWalker said:
    Stunning new release from Anathema. Probably best album this year (and probably a favorite for the rest of my live). I surely love it.

I must add my wholehearted agreement. Brilliant album, better than We're Here Because We're Here which was fantastic in its own right but this takes them to a whole new level - haunting, catchy, mesmerising, powerful.

Totally recommend this and, yes, vying for my best of the year/decade too (so far, argghh!).

Well, I gave it a go - my first reaction was this is a big fat MEH - typical progressive stuff. Then I tried it again, and I thought, hmm. Then I tried it again, and I thought nice. Then I tried it again, and I thought, this is good. Then I tried it again and I though, wow, I really like this. Then I tried it again and I fell asleep, which means I've now heard it enough to make my final rating :)

Some criticisms - most of the tracks follow the exact same format - quiet start, building to a climactic ending and so there's not much variation throughout the album. And the first two tracks are essentially the same song just seemingly told with different perspectives, which I don't mind, but they could be shorter! The middle of the album is the weakest part and the final few tracks really strong.

EXCELLENT

And now I've read the lyrics and understand the concept more clearly, I'm changing my rating to.

SUPERB

• Quidam-Saiko

OUT NOW!!! What more to say - will be a good month for Prog!!! :))

• Re: Re:Re:Anathema - Weather Systems

Mark_H said:
    [

Well, I gave it a go - my first reaction was this is a big fat MEH - typical progressive stuff. Then I tried it again, and I thought, hmm. Then I tried it again, and I thought nice. Then I tried it again, and I thought, this is good. Then I tried it again and I though, wow, I really like this. Then I tried it again and I fell asleep, which means I've now heard it enough to make my final rating :)

SUPERB

Oh Mark..... That gets my review of the year award..... :)

From big fat Meh to superb.....:)

Really like the album as well. It's definitely one I'm going to listen to a lot.

grooving with the beat box........wah wah wah :)

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 apr 2012, 10:10
    PETER HAMMILL

My all-time favourite vocalist :D The man can do no wrong. Well, except on the new album. A collection of the highest mediocrity. Lots of issues with sound quality too - clicks all over the place.

TERRIBLE

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 apr 2012, 14:52
    CITIZEN CAIN

Those of you with aversions to Genesis clones should stop reading now...

Citizen Cain are back, but this time, like many of their peers recently, eg Pendragon or IQ, they have embraced the dark side and "gone heavy". This is actually quite successful and refreshes their sound, as it did for those other bands. But at heart they are still a retro Prog band and so this album could never really be anything other than an homage to the Golden Age.

Still, there are some very nice moments and it's an enjoyable modernised retro romp.

GOOD

• Rush - Headlong Flight (single)

Rush's new single is released today off their long awaited new album Clockwork Angels (out on 12 June). Clocking in at over 7 minutes its a heavy weight blast and is a fine demonstration that Rush remain at the top of their game and musically blow the competition out the water (again).

I love it from first listen and heartily recommend it to all - can't wait for the album now having already heard 3 of the 12 tracks (Caravan and BU2B released earlier).

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 apr 2012, 06:46

Rush have jumped on the heavy bandwagon. Don't these guys know that that sound is so last decade??

• Mark_H said:
    Rush have jumped on the heavy bandwagon. Don't these guys know that that sound is so last decade??

Rush invented the 'heavy bandwagon', its the other wannabes that jumped on board. Didn't realise 'heavy' was a thing of the last decade - better tell Porcupine Tree!

It works for me anyway and I massively look forward to the album and subsequent UK tour.

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 apr 2012, 16:31
    Oldprogger64 said:
    Mark_H said:

Rush invented the 'heavy bandwagon', its the other wannabes that jumped on board. Didn't realise 'heavy' was a thing of the last decade - better tell Porcupine Tree!

Porcupine Tree... yeah, don't think we'll be seeing them any time soon... Wilson has a new muse...

Back to Rush; they may have invented it, but it progressed onwards without them and it's depressing (amusing?!) to see them attempt to play catch-up, particularly when the "new" heavy style is already being abandoned by the biggest players (cf Wilson above...) But who knows, perhaps they will usurp the usurpers?! I look forward to hearing the new album and finding out...

It works for me anyway and I massively look forward to the album and subsequent UK tour.

Enjoy!

• Mark_H said:
    But who knows, perhaps they will usurp the usurpers?! I look forward to hearing the new album and finding out...

Yes, agreed. I do appreciate Rush are a marmite band but I find I return time and again to their back/current catalogue after forays into 'new' prog and realise what top end progressive rock should sound like played by consummate musicians most of the new breed would give their right arm to be half as good as them.

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 maj 2012, 08:34
    COMUS

If you are a fan of the first Comus album this is a MUST BUY. Just as Ian Anderson recently delivered a modern Prog masterpiece, so now do Comus! This is more of an EP in that it only has three new tracks plus a lost live track. The three new tracks are astonishingly good, capturing the original sound perfectly, which is incredible given the thirty odd years Comus have been inactive... The live track is from a lost tape, so the sound quality is poor, but the music makes up for it.

HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION

• Blimey, someone on 'Prance' praises Comus!

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 maj 2012, 08:47
    Flight123 said:
    Blimey, someone on 'Prance' praises Comus!

Everyone has the RIGHT to think what they want - even if they are WRONG! :-))

• Let's decode my use of irony: 'It is nice to see that someone is showing an interest in a band that were genuine innovators in prog rather than the bland neo-prog/prog-metal that seems to define much of the genre these days'.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.