New Release Reviews: 2012

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 mar 2012, 06:45
    IOEarthling001 said:
    We are an Atlanta-based progressive rock band called Six Elements.

Fell in love with this on the first spin...

Nice find! Bought and will listen later today.

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 mar 2012, 10:23
    FLYING COLOURS

Well, it's out, and against my better judgement (given Neal Morse's involvement) I bought it. And I LIKE IT! There's a great energy here and lots of decent material. It's not really Prog, but it's fine music, and sometimes that's good enough!

RECOMMENDED

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 mar 2012, 13:13
    Mark_H said:
    FLYING COLOURS

Well, it's out, and against my better judgement (given Neal Morse's involvement) I bought it. And I LIKE IT!
    RECOMMENDED

Wow!!! Now THAT is an about-turn... :-))

Brilliant musicianship outweighs the religious stuff any day!! :-))

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 mar 2012, 13:00
    CHRIS FRY

First solo effort from Chris Fry of Magenta. All instrumental guitar work (with some orchestral backing in places) -- think Steve Howe and you'll get the idea.

http://chrisfry.co.uk/News.html

Album is exceptional, if you like this sort of thing...

Redigerad av Mark_H den 6 apr 2012, 12:57
  • Mark_H said:
    FLYING COLOURS

Well, it's out, and against my better judgement (given Neal Morse's involvement) I bought it. And I LIKE IT! There's a great energy here and lots of decent material. It's not really Prog, but it's fine music, and sometimes that's good enough!

RECOMMENDED

Good call Mark - just giving it a first listen and am impressed. Yes its not full of convoluted time signatures or 10 minute mini-moog solos based on Lord Of The Rings but it oozes quality, musicianship and really decent 'songs'. To be fair, there are proggy elements as you would expect from Morse, Morse and Mickey P - check out All Falls Down - Dream Theater esque... without the LaBrie warble.

It's fine bright stuff that begs repeat listens as there are loads in there to enjoy, not disappointed at all.

Could be in my top 10 of the year but its going to be tough this year with loads of good stuff already and its only April!

Uncle Jack knows the song of the hedgerows...
    • Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 apr 2012, 13:56
    ASTRA

I was a little underwhelmed with their debut, but could see that they had something to offer. This they prove with their second outing - a highly enjoyable step forward and recommended for fans of guitar driven Space Rock.

• Re:Anathema - Weather Systems

NdWalker said:
    Stunning new release from Anathema. Probably best album this year (and probably a favorite for the rest of my live). I surely love it.

I must add my wholehearted agreement. Brilliant album, better than We're Here Because We're Here which was fantastic in its own right but this takes them to a whole new level - haunting, catchy, mesmerising, powerful.

Totally recommend this and, yes, vying for my best of the year/decade too (so far, argghh!).

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 apr 2012, 16:48
    I don't get Anathema, but based on the two raves above I'll give the new album another go...

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 apr 2012, 08:28
    KOTEBEL

This is the album highlighted by Adrian as a pre-order a while back. A sublime mixture of soothing piano and high energy instrumental stuff. An eclectic mix of symphonic and heavier styles.

This could be my album of the year...

PROG-TASTIC

• amatala sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 5 apr 2012, 09:21
    Mark_H said:
    I don't get Anathema, but based on the two raves above I'll give the new album another go...

You should probably not approach them as Prog - I personally was quite surprised to see them listed on PA a few years back... It was before the time I realized that any artist which releases at least one song which runs for more than 5 minutes and has more than 2 time signature changes gets included on PA... :P

Anathema is a great band which I have been following closely since 1996 when they released Eternity and started leaving their death/doom metal origins behind for a more polished sound (without death growls... :P ); I do like a lot the Alternative 4 and particularly Judgement albums... but after 2000 they started becoming too soft for my taste...

I haven't heard the new album yet - their previous full length album We're Here Because We're Here did not impress me that much... I liked a lot the great atmospheric melodies and landscapes at first listen but after a while I stopped returning to the album... They still know how to make great music but I feel they have forgotten how to rock...

I will certainly get the new album because I do not abandon favorite bands that easily, but I've come to accept the idea that there will never be another Judgement again...

• amatala said:
    Mark_H said:

I will certainly get the new album because I do not abandon favorite bands that easily, but I've come to accept the idea that there will never be another Judgement again...

I think it's a lot like the previous album, Adrian..... but you know I quite liked it. Not really hitting any peaks but good......

grooving with the beat box........wah wah wah :)

• Mark_H said:
    KOTEBEL

This is the album highlighted by Adrian as a pre-order a while back. A sublime mixture of soothing piano and high energy instrumental stuff. An eclectic mix of symphonic and heavier styles.

This could be my album of the year...

PROG-TASTIC

That's enough for me - CLICK!!!!

<PLAY>

:)

• Mark_H said:
    CHRIS FRY

First solo effort from Chris Fry of Magenta. All instrumental guitar work (with some orchestral backing in places) -- think Steve Howe and you'll get the idea.

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WefgI5o1OzU[/youtube]

Sigh.............

<CLICK>

• Användare
    • 6 apr 2012, 13:48
    Mark_H said:
    CHRIS FRY

Bgger - available as mp3 download but ONLY from Amazon.COM in the USA... Hey!! Amazon - what about the rest of us??? :-((

• Wow Mark!!!!!!!!!!!

Kotebel.............

Outstanding......you are right....

It has been a long time since (no...not since I rock and rolled....although it has been a while....but anyway, I digress) I agreed with one of your recommendations!!

And this is wonderful stuff!!

Put the prog stick away!!!

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 apr 2012, 08:13
    skiesrblue said:
    It has been a long time since ... I agreed with one of your recommendations!!

April 1st was last week! :P

• :-))

Indeed!!! Haven't paid much attention to Kotebel to date....and it's fabulous stuff!!!

• Användare
    • 7 apr 2012, 09:54
    skiesrblue said:
    :-))

Indeed!!! Haven't paid much attention to Kotebel to date....and it's fabulous stuff!!!

I'm enjoying a Kotebel marathon right now - very interesting to see how Carlos and his gang have progressed over the years!!

Great music - excellent playing!! :-))

Very nice website too - http://www.kotebel.com/home.php

• skiesrblue said:
    Wow Mark!!!!!!!!!!!

Kotebel.............

Outstanding......you are right....

It has been a long time since (no...not since I rock and rolled....although it has been a while....but anyway, I digress) I agreed with one of your recommendations!!

And this is wonderful stuff!!

Put the prog stick away!!!

I got Ouroboros on the strength of recommendations posted here. Enjoyed it to a point but its a little bit 'prog by numbers' for me (Doug?). Great musicianship and all but just a tad soulless for me.

The orchestral tinged arrangements are fine but it all feels a bit like they are reading it off sheet music. Drum production is a bit on the bland side too. Am slightly tempted to hear this new album but not in any rush.

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 apr 2012, 15:17
    The new album is way ahead of their previous output...

• Mark_H said:

I trust your opinion Mark and will now seek it out and give it due attention sooner than first thought...

• amatala said:
    If Judgement is half as good as WHBWH or Weather Systems this must be some album - thanks for the heads up Adrian, will check it out...

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 apr 2012, 16:39
    Oldprogger64 said:
    Mark_H said:

I trust your opinion Mark and will now seek it out and give it due attention sooner than first thought...

I suppose the caveat is that it's all instrumental, albeit highly accomplished, which may or may not be interesting to some people.

• n00ah sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 apr 2012, 21:50

Kotebel

Mark_H said:
    I suppose the caveat is that it's all instrumental, albeit highly accomplished, which may or may not be interesting to some people.

The album is streamable on spotify so I gave it a try. It's excellent... buuuut.... yes, for me it is prog by numbers. Whoever did the orchestral arrangements.... he's or she's a genious!!! But then... I also miss a bit of a soul in the piano play.... Probably for "hardcore proggers" a milestone... but for me a bit difficult to follow. One exception: Dance of Shiva is an outstanding piece. that gives me goosebumps :-)

• OSI - Fire Makes Thunder

Fire Make Thunder is OSI's fourth release - Jim Matheos (Fates Warning, Arch/Matheos) and Kevin Moore (Chroma Key, former Dream Theater keyboardist) along with Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree). All other instruments and programming were performed by both Matheos and Moore.

The new album is perhaps a little more diverse (dare I say 'progressive'?) than their previous offerings. Still dominated by Moore's distinctive melancholy vocals and lyrics it ranges from plenty of hard edged choppy metal riffs, through electronic ambient passages to acoustic ethereal (Indian Curse). This diversity makes it a real treat to listen to with something different around each audio corner. The instrumental Enemy Prayer is one of the stand out track for me - hints at what PT could be doing if and when they get round to doing a new album - Harrison just drives the track along with consummate power and technique (no surprise he co-wrote this one).

I consider this to be OSI's best to date and I recommend it to anyone searching for something 'modern' rather than 'tribute'.

RATING - Excellent

Redigerad av Oldprogger64 den 12 apr 2012, 08:48
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.