Worst Opeth songs?

• Bren_den sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 apr 2006, 00:02

Worst Opeth songs?

Yes, I know we all love our Opeth here, but I am curious as to which songs are not so popular. List your least favourite from each album, and please, don't hold a grudge against instrumentals (in fact, don't include them if you're going to choose them just because you like all of the "real" songs).

Orchid:
    The Apostle in Triumph (awesome song, not as good as the other non-instrumentals)

Morningrise:
    To Bid You Farewell (I got sick of this before I could fall in love with it)

My Arms, Your Hearse:
    Karma (Arguably the most forgotten Opeth song? Seems like it to me, at least)

Still Life:
    White Cluster (reminds me of a musical or something... not what I listen to Opeth for!)

Blackwater Park:
    The Leper Affinity (it was either this or The Funeral Portrait, and I guess this one is just one my bad side today)

Deliverance:
    By the Pain I See in Others (This name always stuck with me, but it's just too.. ugh. And I really can't get used to the growls over the acoustic."

Damnation:
    Weakness (Do I need to explain this one?)

Ghost Reveries:
    Isolation Years (Despite all my hate for this album, this song takes the prize for absolute heart-breaking disappointment. I can see if the band who wrote it were Maroon 5, but Opeth? Damn.)

Anyways, it appears that the trend in my dislikes is usually the last song from the album. Ok, your turn.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 apr 2006, 01:47
    nerd!!!!!!

• Användare
    • 6 apr 2006, 03:24
    o_O......

the only thing i can say is that you have the funny one of tastes. o_O

for me
    --------------------------------
    Into The Frost Of Winter
    Circle Of The Tyrant

that's all

• Nilfheim sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 apr 2006, 08:56

Re: Worst Opeth songs?

Quoth Bren_den:
    Morningrise:
    To Bid You Farewell (I got sick of this before I could fall in love with it)

:o

"[...] Suppose that there is a universal mind controling everything, a god willing the behaviour of every sub-atomic particle. Now every partical has an anti-partical, its mirror image, its negative side. Maybe this universal mind resides in the mirror image, instead of being in our universe as we wanted to believe. Maybe he's anti-god, bringing darkness instead of light."
    • r1Co sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 apr 2006, 12:56
    the 2 crappy recorded bonus tracks on Orchid and Morningrise dont get a lot of airtime over here, and even they are not really bad songs, I just can't believe you put karma in there, the middle acoustic stuff is amazing and the ending is just \m/

;x
    • Bren_den sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 apr 2006, 00:07
    Don't get me wrong, I like Karma, but compared to the rest of the album it is definately the weakest. As for the bonus tracks, I wasn't counting those since they aren't really "proper" releases.

• Användare
    • 7 apr 2006, 00:07
    it's not "we" that put this song , it's only Bren_den !!!

• Dude, you try listening To Bid You Farewell after a hard day of work on the drive back home, relaxes me like you wouldn't believe.

Into The Frost of Winter and Eternal Soul Torture I don't even consider those to be actual songs of Opeth though since they sound like garage days to me.

Oh also The Funeral Portrait (much love for Leper Affinity)
    The recorded version of Closure. I don't mind the south-american drum rythm but they should've added in the hard part they do when they play it live afterwards >:/

• Bren_den sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 apr 2006, 05:38
    I agree with you on Closure; the version on Lamentations is infinitely better.

• Användare
    • 7 apr 2006, 08:39
    thread starter is freggin weird.

• Re:

Quoth Opeth_MAYH:

Ain't he?! The only two I can agree with are By The Pain I see in Others and The Apostle, but The Leper Affinity & White cluster?! *walks about outraged in melodramatic fashion* I'm just giving you a hard time, you know that right Bren_den?

• There aren't a lot of Opeth songs I dislike, but To Rid the Disease and Reverie/Harlequin Forest are the ones that bore me.

PS White Cluster and The Apostle in Triumph own. To me, they are the songs that define Opeth. They are some of my favourite songs now. Very underlooked, but intricately done, especially White Cluster.

• Re:

Amen to that EnemyOfTheState

• Re:

Amen to that EnemyOfTheState

• Aw crap I got an error from last.fm and thought the post didn't go through so I went back and hit "submit" again, my apologies.

• Re:

Quoth EnemyOfTheState:
    There aren't a lot of Opeth songs I dislike, but To Rid the Disease and Reverie/Harlequin Forest are the ones that bore me.

PS White Cluster and The Apostle in Triumph own. To me, they are the songs that define Opeth. They are some of my favourite songs now. Very underlooked, but intricately done, especially White Cluster.

Eh,
    I love to rid the disease..

the one i don't find very suiting to me is circle of the tyrants, I guess they must like celtic frost.

• Bren_den sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 apr 2006, 03:29
    Quoth Opeth_MAYH:

Thanks for the input.

• Re: Re:

Quoth Eifer_sucht:
    the one i don't find very suiting to me is circle of the tyrants, I guess they must like celtic frost.

The solo in Circle of The Tyrants is a bit odd... it gets points for originality since it isn't all high-strung but it still sounds weird.

• Nilfheim sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 apr 2006, 10:29
    i love circle... i think it's better than the original

"[...] Suppose that there is a universal mind controling everything, a god willing the behaviour of every sub-atomic particle. Now every partical has an anti-partical, its mirror image, its negative side. Maybe this universal mind resides in the mirror image, instead of being in our universe as we wanted to believe. Maybe he's anti-god, bringing darkness instead of light."
  • Oh wait what am I saying, Requiem is the worst song, it's so bad I didn't even remember it and dismissed it from existence.

• yeah and weakness....

its so weird...

reminds me of the doors or some psychodelic band like that.

the chorus on the guitar makes it sound a little weird.

• orenigma sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 apr 2006, 08:24
    Hmm... Weakness is my least favorite overall, entirely. By The Pain I See in Others has that weird growl over acoustic, but otherwise it's badass so I'll leave it alone.

I love Apostle though. It's fucking awesome. One of the big reasons I like Opeth.

Isolation Years isn't as good as there other stuff... and I like Damnation... nothing aginst their mellow stuff.. just not into that one.

But it's Opeth. It's all good on some level.

Those who spend their time hoping for a better tomorrow will forever be a step behind those building one.
  • Re:

Quoth orenigma:

I love Apostle though. It's fucking awesome. One of the big reasons I like Opeth.
    But it's Opeth. It's all good on some level.

word oren,
    word.

• orenigma sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 apr 2006, 08:50
    Thanks brother! \m/

Those who spend their time hoping for a better tomorrow will forever be a step behind those building one.
    • Bren_den sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 apr 2006, 09:10
    I wasn't bashing The Apostle in Triumph; I'm saying that out of the masterpeice that Orchid is, that song is just the least amazing :)

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.