Openminded Metalheads or Ecletic Music Lovers?

• Openminded Metalheads or Ecletic Music Lovers?

Okay, let us discuss the matter LouIsImmortal brought up in the group shoutbox in a thread. Basically what Lou pointed out was the number of users joining the group lately who hardly have any metal in their charts, and whether they belong here or not.

LouIsImmortal said:
    We're really getting by far too many people joining who don't actually listen to Metal or only listen to one or two faggoth mallcore bands alongside overwhelming amounts of emo pop rock crap. I propose we have a Member Approval join policy to make sure that our 'Openminded Metalheads' actually listen to Metal.

I have seen a couple of them myself. They mostly had Lostprophets, 30 Seconds to Mars and Sum 41 tagged as metal :|. Personally, I believe this is a "openminded METALheads" group, which would require some decent amount of metal in the charts, and then the openminded part kicks in... Plus, there are a few groups out there for "ecletic music tastes", which these people would be better off joining.

So what is your opinion? Are we openminded metalheads or ecletic music lovers? Discuss.

P.S: Lets see if some hot chicks get posting on this thread, seeing this is neither a randomness game nor a masturbatory rating game :P

"There is nothing wrong in quoting yourself." - agent_logic

FoxyScrobbler - a super awesome Firefox add-on that scrobbles music you listen to on the Web. Currently supports Pandora, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, Songza, YouTube, Rdio and 8Tracks. Go get it!
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 mar 2008, 22:45
    I readily admit that I listen to some of these bands that are oft targeted in these posts. But to be perfectly clear I do not think of them as metal, but as rock, hard rock in some cases, but rock. When I want to listen to metal, I pull out bands like Bloodbath, when I want rock, I turn to bands like System Of A Down. I like both Metal and Rock, thus I am an 'Openminded Metalhead'

Ps...I have no idea whether Tool counts as metal, I just know they are my favorite band and have been since Undertow

• We're openminded metalheads. The majority of the discussion is about metal and basically everyone listen/has listened to metal, our enjoyment of metal is what connects us. If you don't like metal, then there's little point in joining this group.

However, I don't think we should be banning users without metal. Why should we care if we have some members who aren't metal? As long as they don't post unecessary stuff, let them join. It's not like we have a small, select community that needs to be preserved. And it doesn't effect us negatively in any way (Also, the charts here don't represents one's tastes 100%)
    I think that if the 'mallcore' (stupid word) fans come here, they'll notice that this group isn't really for them.
    Sometimes I find comments like bad ratings (oh noes!) for listening to metal or people saying how they've become bored metal/don't like it anymore. If one really feels like that, I think that's a nice sign for this person to leave this group.

So, if you don't like metal, you don't really belong here. You can still join, no problems. You're probably better of joining other groups though.

That was a nice waste of time, hope you'll enjoy it :P
    And agent, you really need to stop with the hot chicks thing. You're on the fucking internet, they don't exist here :P

• Lociferx sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 mar 2008, 12:09
    I pretty much agree with omega. The group is obviously based around metal, so it's not really the place of a person who doesn't like it anymore/never has. Banning people for not listening to metal seems like a stupid idea that you'd find in one of those elitist douche groups like "trve metallers" or some equally ridiculous group.

and there are no women on the intarwebs agent.

• dward526 said:
    I readily admit that I listen to some of these bands that are oft targeted in these posts.

I'm not targeting these bands in a "they are inferior to the trve kvlt bands I listen to" type of way. I had to mention those bands because those are the bands with which lots of people are joining the group, considering them to be metal.

Seeing OmegaDragon and Lociferx agree that this is primarily a metal group in which members are also openminded toward other musical genres, it does put us in a sticky situation... kicking/banning these people would make us close minded. I'm not for it at all. Making it member approval is definitely closemindedness. Or should we put in big block letters on the front page "MAKE SURE YOU HAVE METAL IN YOUR CHARTS BEFORE YOU JOIN!!!"?

And I guess I'm just too openminded that I'll even try out an internet relationship (read: desperate).

FoxyScrobbler - a super awesome Firefox add-on that scrobbles music you listen to on the Web. Currently supports Pandora, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, Songza, YouTube, Rdio and 8Tracks. Go get it!
  • Putting big letters would just turn girls AWAY from group, and we don't wanna do that, for even metalhead GIRLS don't like guyish shit like "MAKE SURE YOU HAVEWE METAL..blalalala"
    that reminds them of "WE HAVE THE COCK HERE, AND SO THE POWER IS OURS"

but really there are no girls here anyway so i'd gather you can write whatever you want :)

omg SHIT..i must turn off all indie out if i'm gonna get banned.oh nooooooo

\m/

• If I wanted to join a discriminating metal related group, I would've joined Anti-Numetal instead. Or started a Metalminded Openheads group or something. Besides, the "mallcore kiddies", "tr00kvlts", metal expatriates and whatnot being targeted aren't exactly harming anyone by being here, since not many people fitting those stereotypes post here regularly. Sometimes they even offer some decent conversation and/or controversy. Having them around sure beats officially turning this group into a gigantic circlejerk.

Sometimes I find comments like
    a)bad ratings (oh noes!) for listening to metal or
    b)people saying how they've become bored metal/don't like it anymore.
    c)If one really feels like that, I think that's a nice sign for this person to leave this group.

Why hello there! ^_^ Since I sorta fit this description, I'll give you my reasoning:
    a) Unlike pretty much everyone else in this thread... I place more emphasis on the "Openminded" part of this group as my reason for being here, with the "metalhead" part being more of an entry qualification. So I rate things in accordance with this philosophy.
    b) I think I say something like that almost monthly, sometimes weekly. As far as I'm concerned, I don't actually mean it. Chances are I'm just being a lazy sod rather than looking for anything new and interesting.
    c) Not anytime soon :)

...HOLY SERIOUS BUSINESS, BATMAN!

• The point is, that even if you want to change something to the situation, it's gonn be hard, or it will need sacrifice.

The solution is at first sight simple: you just make the group: 'join aproval needed'. I don't know how to put this nicely. it means the leader has to give permission in order for someone to join.

BUT as red_ceiling alrdy pointed out: he's sometimes of-line for long periods.

So:

a) Do nothing, it's still a minority group i/t group
    b) make it approval thingie, and accept that there will be times that there aren't any new members because red_ceiling is offline
    c) I don't know this, is there something as co-leadership? Otherwise red_ceiling could point out a member he trusts and is in the group for a long time already, and give him right to accept/decline requests.

One's freedom depends on his power to defend it.

• Re: Openminded Metalheads or Ecletic Music Lovers?

agent_logic said:
    P.S: Lets see if some hot chicks get posting on this thread, seeing this is neither a randomness game nor a masturbatory rating game :P

So true xP

One's freedom depends on his power to defend it.

• Användare
    • 18 mar 2008, 20:00
    Tbh, I'm not particularly fussed, it's just a point I thought I'd bring up, it's not that much of a big deal really. I don't think we should kick out anyone, that's for sure but maybe just include in the description that suggests you should have a substancial amount of metal on your profile or failing that a sufficient knowledge of metal to back it up. No rejecting, no kicking, just a sort of gentle encouragement.

Besides, I kinda said that when I was really sobre and pissed off at everything for no reason... I quite thoroughly took care of that problem and don't particularly care anymore....

• Doomface sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 mar 2008, 20:02
    I don't think i've ever read any posts where guys say "I think you should check out <insert alternative band here> they're really cool" or any post where people have actively tried to steer us to non-metal music. Even if they did is that such a bad thing, i mean it's 'open minded' metalheads so we should be prepared to be open minded about other music types even if we like metal predominantly

The only people we should ever ban are people who come here just to do anti-metal trolling.

This isn't an exclusive club and to be honest the issue is kind of not worth discussing into great deal, it's never been a 'problem' up until someone brought it up.

To be honest we should save all the "Nu-metal sux" and "hip hop is teh gay" talk for different places. I think we should strive to be something other than atypical internet message board filled with endless put-downs of other peoples tastes. So if someone doesn't listen to much metal in this group we should try and expand their mind as opposed to berating them.

• why should we care? :p

either people will come here and they will become openminded metalheads either because they're not really into metal (yet) or because they listen to metal and will also listen other stuff (like teh blues mens!)

as long as the forum stays alive!

Forum/Flower Power!

"Be Yourself; everyone else is already taken"
    • Användare
    • 18 mar 2008, 20:13
    right on man

• IPonly sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 mar 2008, 20:26
    N3croyeti said:
    ...Metalminded Openheads group...

This is an awesome group name and should probably exist. I'd offer to be a member, but I don't qualify. At all, really.

As for the rest, it's all been churned over in the shoutbox a million times already and will be turned over a million time more, no doubt. Like the complaints about Nightwish topping the charts in the Female Fans of Metal Group. I am so tired of people complaining about two or three hundred Nightwish fans in a group of 1,502. And here, we're a group of 4,847- who cares if one or one hundred aren't proper metalheads? You can't get significant data in the charts of a group this large.

• I guess Valkenstein, Doomface and smurf0073's point a) nailed the points. :D

But the problem arises when some Lostprophets kid (I'm saying this in a non-elitist way, thank you) just keeps listening to Lostprophets and similar bands. Yes, for now they are a minority. In fact, I have not seen any of the top 6 new members (on the group's front page) fitting the category this topic is discussing for the past few days. That doesn't mean a chaos-theory-thingamajig-phenomenon would not happen and that they would remain a minority.

I think the trick lies in the operating word you choose and use in the word Openminded Metalheads, like N3croyeti said.

• LouIsImmortal said:
    Tbh, I'm not particularly fussed, it's just a point I thought I'd bring up, it's not that much of a big deal really. I don't think we should kick out anyone, that's for sure but maybe just include in the description that suggests you should have a substancial amount of metal on your profile or failing that a sufficient knowledge of metal to back it up. No rejecting, no kicking, just a sort of gentle encouragement.

Besides, I kinda said that when I was really sobre and pissed off at everything for no reason... I quite thoroughly took care of that problem and don't particularly care anymore....

Don't sweat it man, you aren't losing your openminded "street creds" after you pointed out the issue :P. It is something that might be needing a look in later on.

• Promonex sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 mar 2008, 23:09
    -1 for being quite close-minded about the metal-mindedness of open-heads, but overall I quite agree with this thread.

=> 9/10

• hahahahaha
    let's make new thread where we will endlessly rate somebody's openmindedness..on whatever criteria

[joke]

is this topic necessary at all..mallcore kids knew they're all gonna burn in hell, so we should let 'em post xD

and i'm spamming "serious" threads again lol

• AlthalusDushman said:
    hahahahaha
    let's make new thread where we will endlessly rate somebody's openmindedness..on whatever criteria

[joke]

is this topic necessary at all..mallcore kids knew they're all gonna burn in hell, so we should let 'em post xD

and i'm spamming "serious" threads again lol

Well, someone brought it up and I do not want to close out the active members of this group from saying their opinions.

Besides feeling like making this group closed seems on the surface a contradiction of the mere name of the group, who is to judge what constitutes an "openminded metalhead?" I've seen enough people dispute what defines the label within this group, and in order to make this an approval group we'd have to define it altogether.

smurf0073: There is a member approval option to be used, not merely an owner approval (which I would never commit to).

There's always this: http://www.last.fm/group/Closeminded+Metalheads

• the_red_ceiling said:
    Besides feeling like making this group closed seems on the surface a contradiction of the mere name of the group, who is to judge what constitutes an "openminded metalhead?"

Indeed... thats like a false positive or a true negative or whatever if this group becomes closed or member approval. I think what was started as a <insert appropriate word here> has become fashionable now, thanks to scene kids joining the group. Seems like everyone wants to be an "opinmindedz metulheddz" now or something.

Don't be surprised if BBC writes an article about this in the near future. There might be our own versions of Shadow Mercy and Misery Whispers wanting attention lurking around here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/kids/goths_talk.shtml for the confused). :P

• Användare
    • 19 mar 2008, 09:06
    IPonly said:
    As for the rest, it's all been churned over in the shoutbox a million times already and will be turned over a million time more, no doubt. Like the complaints about Nightwish topping the charts in the Female Fans of Metal Group. I am so tired of people complaining about two or three hundred Nightwish fans in a group of 1,502. And here, we're a group of 4,847- who cares if one or one hundred aren't proper metalheads? You can't get significant data in the charts of a group this large.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's sick of those stupid complaints. Who the hell cares about the charts anyway, except as a purely intellectual exercise, or as a voyeuristic glimpse into what other people are listening to? Half the groups I belong to have Radiohead somewhere in the top. So what? What matters to me is the discussion inside the group in the forums. Isn't that the whole purpose of a group, to socialize?

• Användare
    • 19 mar 2008, 11:04
    agent_logic said:
    LouIsImmortal said:

Don't sweat it man, you aren't losing your openminded "street creds" after you pointed out the issue :P. It is something that might be needing a look in later on.

lmao street cred. Yeah, in future maybe I should just put [sobre and moody] in my posts/shouts if such is the case.

• agent_logic said:
    Don't be surprised if BBC writes an article about this in the near future. There might be our own versions of Shadow Mercy and Misery Whispers wanting attention lurking around here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/kids/goths_talk.shtml for the confused). :P

I'm sorry to go off topic, but that article is fucking genius!!

I also like a band called Dimmu Borgir who are a satanic band from somewhere in Germany.

I like to do magic spells and to look at runes books.

• Användare
    • 19 mar 2008, 20:51
    I also like a band called Dimmu Borgir who are a satanic band from somewhere in Germany.

Priceless, just priceless.

This is the reason I put my trench coat away years ago. That, and the fact that it doesn't work as well when you have a wife, kids, and a job.

Still wear the boots and the ankh though. :)

• I agree with omega basically, don't ban them unless need be, or unless they're negatively impacting the group.

Oh, and, the "there are no girls on teh intarwebs" joke got old fast.

And that bbc article is hilarious. "goths wear anything black because they like to look different from other people." Who are the other people? Definitely not goths. lol.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.