Openminded Metalheads or Ecletic Music Lovers?

• Vampyric sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 apr 2008, 12:14
    TheDucChick said:
    I really laugh at the nu-metal dissing. EVERYTHING is new at some point and bashing something because it veers off a particular track you think music ought to take is just ludicrous. If you're not listening to only Black Sabbath and Blue Cheer, you're listening to nu metal. Laughable.

That is a gross over-simplification/exaggeration. Anyone adhering to that philosophy you have just described is either seriously lacking in musical knowledge or is extremely narrow minded.

I don't limit myself just on the basis that something is "new". Nor, do i think the people that listen to Nu-metal are any less respectable than the people that don't.

Its just my personal opinion. I hate nu-metal for the way it sounds (i hate rap and i hate down tuned guitars) and generally what it represents (and no, not on an image basis), and to me, thats bad professionalism.

Makoo said:
    So saying nu metal and metalcore is wrong or bad is... wrong if you ask me, this is the openminded metalheads group not the "we listen to all different true metal types and thinks the rest sucks" group. I think that one allready exists tbh

I assume your addressing this argument to the context of being allowed in the group or not. In that case, no, i wouldn't say nu-metal or metalcore are wrong. I believe your right, and i have said before, all genres should be allowed and respected.

To me, there is no "true" metal, all metal is simply just metal. But, its important to rememeber that genres like metalcore and nu-metal, are infact, not metal at all.

If somone comes in here only listening to core stuff and nu metal and what not, then we might buff off on that person and make him listen to more and more "real metal".

I agree, as long as they are not under the false pretence that Nu-metal is metal.

• Vampyric said:

That is a gross over-simplification/exaggeration. Anyone adhering to that philosophy you have just described is either seriously lacking in musical knowledge or is extremely narrow minded.

I don't limit myself just on the basis that something is "new". Nor, do i think the people that listen to Nu-metal are any less respectable than the people that don't.

Its just my personal opinion. I hate nu-metal for the way it sounds (i hate rap and i hate down tuned guitars) and generally what it represents (and no, not on an image basis), and to me, thats bad professionalism.

Interesting. You equate something you personally find unappealing with unprofessionalism. Could you elicidate?

Be dangerous and unpredictable and make a lotta noise.
    • Vampyric sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 apr 2008, 13:02
    TheDucChick said:
    Vampyric said:

Interesting. You equate something you personally find unappealing with unprofessionalism. Could you elicidate?

Im assuming you meant "elucidate"?

Sure, here, read my last post in this thread. That pretty much explains what i mean (on a basic level).

http://www.last.fm/group/Openminded+Metalheads/forum/29008/_/401955/2

• Makoo said:

And i agree with theducchick, all music and genres are new at some point. and every new genre adds some to other genres, sometimes the result is kickass and soemtimes it is not, and besides, all humans think differently about most stuff anyway, including music

That's what I'm getting at. Complaining that music is not stagnant is hilarious. That's what artists do - they create and creation sometimes takes on characteristics we don't like. Gross over simplification or not, all metal beyond Sabbath and Cheer is technically new and I'll be somebody bitched aobut it back in the day. I'm old enough to remember 'the day' and believe me, someone did.

• Im assuming you meant "elucidate"?

Oh my. We're there already? Sigh. Just as it was getting interesting. So long.

• Vampyric sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 apr 2008, 13:31
    TheDucChick said:
    Im assuming you meant "elucidate"?

Oh my. We're there already? Sigh. Just as it was getting interesting. So long.

Hmm, i just thought you mistyped the word and i was looking for clarification, like i said, ive never come across the word "Elicidate".

Well, im very sorry for not having that word as part of my vocabulary. ;)

And no, just incase you think i was correcting you for the sake of it, i wasn't. I was genuinely asking if you meant what i thought you meant.

• Yes, that is what I meant, just could't spell and/or type this am. no harm, no foul.

• Awwwww.... Kiss and make up? ;D

"There is nothing wrong in quoting yourself." - agent_logic

FoxyScrobbler - a super awesome Firefox add-on that scrobbles music you listen to on the Web. Currently supports Pandora, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, Songza, YouTube, Rdio and 8Tracks. Go get it!
    • Vampyric sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 apr 2008, 16:16
    ;D

• I think it's perfectly reasonable and totally open-minded to think that something you've heard, and had time to form an opinion on, is trash. Being open-minded just means you're willing to give new ideas a chance. However, having given them a chance, there's nothing wrong with judging them harshly if that's how you feel about it.

On the topic of nu-metal: Teenage angst, lowbrow lyrics, hip-hop rhythms and a mix of whining & rapping vocals aren't going to sound good to my ears no matter how low the guitars are tuned.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 maj 2008, 04:34
    I will admit it, I like KoRn, have since live is peachy, Rage Against The Machine, Disturbed, and System Of A Down. I tend to like early nu-metal. It really just matters what mood I am in. Do I want to listen to Progressive Rock or Brutal Death, Nu Metal or Jazz, or just hit shuffle and be surprised by what happens.

Maybe I classify Nu Metal differently than the rest of you guys, but some bands have shown artistic insight into their work and produced good work.

As for Lowbrow lyrics, sometimes I just want to crank Die MF Die by Dope, or Testify by Rage Against The Machine. Besides, some traditional metal is not known for cerebral topics (Hammer Smashed Face by Cannibal Corpse, for example).

• dward526 said:
    As for Lowbrow lyrics, sometimes I just want to crank Die MF Die by Dope, or Testify by Rage Against The Machine. Besides, some traditional metal is not known for cerebral topics (Hammer Smashed Face by Cannibal Corpse, for example).

Haha, that is correct. But I think most will agree that even though Cannibal Corpse's lyrics are intellectually zero, the riffs and growls are worth listening to over and over again, whereas most nu metal just gets boring when you listen to it a lot. There are few nu metal bands that you can put on repeat on your music player. I don't mean this as an overall feeling everyone has, but that is how I feel.

thee_darcy said it right, you don't become close-minded if you hate certain types of music and like to express your negative opinion about it. That is, if you do it in a civilised manner ;).

FoxyScrobbler - a super awesome Firefox add-on that scrobbles music you listen to on the Web. Currently supports Pandora, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, Songza, YouTube, Rdio and 8Tracks. Go get it!
    • Användare
    • 1 maj 2008, 14:31
    I agree with the open-minded statement. You don't have to like everything, just be willing to try it.

BTW, I am a Cannibal Corpse fan, sometimes you just want to listen to brutal death, and Hammer Smashed Face is one of my favorite tracks :)

Redigerat av en raderad användare den 1 maj 2008, 16:56
  • TheDucChick said:
    I really laugh at the nu-metal dissing. EVERYTHING is new at some point and bashing something because it veers off a particular track you think music ought to take is just ludicrous. If you're not listening to only Black Sabbath and Blue Cheer, you're listening to nu metal. Laughable.

Not so, that's why it's spelled differently. New metal obviously just means metal that's new. I love new metal. I'm broke because of new metal. About half the CD's I buy these days are new releases Nu-metal is genre created by Korn and suchlike that became popular in the late 90's, distinguished by histrionic vocalists, bouncy rhythms, hip-hop influences, dreadlocks, track suits, baggy pants, and grown men crying about the kinds of problems you'd expect a 14 y/o to have ("I'm locked in a cage by society!"/"Nobody likes/understands me!"/"I just want to be left alone!"/"I'm sad! Whaaaaaa!").

As for "bashing something because it veers off a particular track (I) think music ought to take", I listen to plenty of metal bands who get batshit crazy when it comes to their musical influences. I'll happily listen to Dodheimsgard (black metal mixed with electronic dance music), Unexpect (death metal, black metal, jazz/cabaret, gypsy folk, and Danny Elfman), Solefald (pretty much everything, with Hammond organ being the lead instrument half the time), Finntroll (black metal polka) and Turisas (heavy metal + folk music + epic film score music) in the same hour.

I don't bash nu-metal because it's not "what I think metal should be", I bash it because even if I were listening to it outside of the metal context it I would think it's trash.

• Rapping vocals and turntable junk doesn't belong in metal as breakdown after useless breakdown and heavy hardcore influenced metal doesn't either.

I really don't bother with Cannibal Corpse or Deicide because it just got boring for me. Got sick of CC's gore lyrics rather quickly also.

• Meh. We should all learn to accept the "bad" metal and the endless discussions it creates - if only to make "superior" metal sound even better by comparison. Because, if everything was "true" metal, we'd just find some new way of descriminating against and labelling half of it anyway.

(note the usage of inverted commas)

• nope, thee_darcy, not buying it. Maybe in 20 years you'll know what I mean. Still funny though.

• Not buying what? That people genuinely dislike nu-metal? Or that it's because of the style, and not because it's "new"?

Tell you what. You keep thinking that "nu-metal" secretly means all metal that is of any new, modern style, and I'll pretend that "hair metal" means any kind of metal where most of the members have lots of hair.

It's not even that new anymore. People have been playing it for 15 years now. It's just an unfortunate term, but hey- a turd by any other name...

btw: There was a time where I was actually a fan of nu-metal, that along with industrial is what got me interested in heavy music. So don't presume I'm some neanderthal metalhead who feels threatened by anything that doesn't worship Priest, Sabbath, Maiden and Slayer.

• Still funny.

• Användare
    • 3 maj 2008, 03:12
    You know, I have this strange parody of the old Reese's Peanut Butter Cups ads running through my mind.

A hip hop fan walks along the street bopping to the latest rap tune blaring from his retro ghetto blaster. He comes to a stop at the street corner, where some long-haired dude is blasting Pantera on his car stereo. Both glare at each other.

Hip hop dude: Your metal is messing up MY RAP!

Metal dude: Your rap is ruining MY METAL!

Hip hop dude: Hey, it sounds pretty good!

Metal dude: Cha! What-ever! Asshole.

Just behind them, the soon-to-be lead singer of Korn is listening and thinking, "Hey, not bad."

And then a whole long debate was born to be hashed out years later in metal forums ;-)

• i like both flotsam & jetsam and sigur ros...i can hear electronic muusic when high,and a nice trash when with friends...but one thing im sure..listening to metal made me more open minded...maybe because nowadays is still(a little) looked as satan music(in portugal in my case,just to see how open minded we are),and looking from the bottom made me see things more freely,gaign more respect,and never lower my level when someone criticize me because of my taste musci and not because of my thoughts...sory bad english,have much more to say,but gotta learn english lol

OPEN MINDED METALHEAD(the kids are alright)

racc.i fart
  • YESTERDAY I WOKE UP SUCKING A LEMON

• Makoo sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 maj 2008, 07:42
    GOOOD FOR YOOU!!!

• MY CAPS LOCK IS STUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!11

• Maelkoch sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 maj 2008, 13:01
    TheDucChick said:

Excuse me, but what the fuck?

Nu-metal =/= new metal

I don't think people are dissing all "new" metal (what counts as new metal, anyway? Less than 3, 5, 10 years old?), but the pseudo-metal-hip hop-crossover-shite that nu-metal is (Limp Bizkit, anyone?).

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.