omi alternative

• omi alternative

Hi.

I've created a pie chart generation for music tags due to the absence of OMI. scaicha, written in python, is opensource and may be used/improved by anyone.

http://choerbaert.org/wiki/en:scytheman:zeugs:code:scaicha

Feel free to submit improvements or fork it.

Unfortunately there won't be any online service for generating/hosting of those images by me.

• Try:
    http://dd.telenet.ru/cgi-bin/last.py?name=username
    This is your script, slightly modified to work as cgi :)

• Oh, this is nice :).

Did you modify the calculation algorithm? Unfortunately I don't know the one used by musickum. Mine seems to be completely different, and yours is more close to the original one.

• Yep, algorithm also modified. Each tag count multiplyed by artists play count and divided by overall play count.

• Thanks a ton, both of you.

How do we use the first one? I'm curious as to my results for both.

• For the first one you need a local python installation and simply run the script with your username as parameter. This is your result: http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6995/genesisrisenpieyl2.png

Daemon_Hell, could you publish the modified version somewhere?

• Added caching for artist list per user and tag list per artist. Now it must work faster :)

• Thanks, cache was one thing I wanted to add too.

I merged your changes (with slightly modifications, e.g. extra directory for cache files). Now it is possible to select between CGI and standard behaviour by simply setting the variable 'CGI'.

You may tell me your full name to add it to the copyright section :).

• Well, that´s not just an alternative...it looks nice and the calculation algorithm seems accurate too.Many thanks & I´m curious about the development of it =)

• Pie precission looks like dead omi... Great! What about "slider" how open minded you are? Is it tough to add on? :) Thnx anyway so much! ;)

• I think slider will be later :)

Added period selection

• Cool! Maybe you should create a new group to this project? :-)

• Try http://omi.musiqum.net/ , it can load a little bit as we still have a small cache but as the number of users will grow up, it's gonna get faster! The good news is, that this script uses not the TOP 50 artists, but the TOP 500! What's more, it counts not only the tag occurences multiplied by the number of users, but also the number of users which used a tag - should be way more accurate! :)

• Just added OMR, the Open Mind Ratio - check it out ;)

http://omr.musiqum.net

• Hedin89 sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 dec 2008, 19:44
    It's different from the classical OMI. My overall charts hadn't changed in last several months, but in your service I have 100, whereas I had 82.

• Sure it is different... in the OMR all the other 450 artists in the top 500 (not only the first 50) of your overall charts have an influence as you can read in pirate-pls posting ;)

• Sorry, but the OMR one is extremely inaccurate. I don't listen to more death metal than melodic death metal, and I don't listen to much black metal. I sure as hell don't listen to more black metal than doom metal. I listen to very few "rock" bands as well. Same with heavy metal.

• Felip sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 dec 2008, 03:22
    Scaicha is a good alternative and I'm using it. Thanks! I've tested the OMR but I think that Scaicha is so much better...

But I hope OMI come back soon

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 dec 2008, 12:34
    Felip said:
    Scaicha is a good alternative and I'm using it. Thanks! I've tested the OMR but I think that Scaicha is so much better...

But I hope OMI come back soon

/signed.

I am just not happy with the design ;(

• i think the same way. but Scaicha is like my musical taste, but what i loved best was open mind index. i miss it. maybe you can do something similar in Scaicha?

• I realised, that OMR is best for people who have many scrobbles, while top 50 scores are waaaaaaay better for people who just began using last.fm... maybe I should create a second index, which analyses only top 50?

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 dec 2008, 21:36
    The OMR is fine, the only problem with it is well, first, the visuals... the pie charts don't look good at all, Scaicha's version is better but not as good as the old OMI. The main problem with the OMR is that it calculates the number of users which used a tag. This is very, very bad because a lot of people use popular or pointless tags on an artist, so if you listen to that artist a lot you're screwed and can't use the ignore tag feature either.

Scaicha took care of that problem, so what should be done is using BOTH of your works. The OMR slider and calculations, and the pie charts from Scaicha with the ignore tag feature. This is what everyone wants, look around and you will see some users who are already using the combination of both. If you guys can get this working along with better visuals, the OMI doesn't stand a chance assuming it would ever come back in the first place.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.