I do not think this will ever be accurate

• Farvana sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 okt 2008, 06:11

I do not think this will ever be accurate

I don't mean to be a downer, but I just can't see how this can work on last.fm.

The calculations are based on tags created by user input; however, there is no regulation on these tags, leading to unnecessary and duplicate tags. There is no one categorizing these tags under genres and subgenres; every tag is treated as being equal to one another. Due to this, no calculation based solely on last.fm tags will even remotely reflect one's musical depth.

If there was a way to categorize or associate tags (either by user input or by consulting with someone who knows music deeply; say, the fine folks at Pandora), then this would be feasible. As it is right now, I doubt this will do anything but give scene kids an unfounded ego boost and piss off everyone else.

• myLAAN sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 okt 2008, 23:21
    I thought that measuring OMI was an electronic equivalent to the longest wing-wang contest.

I'm more lazy than Radiohead are lame.
    • Goblim sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 okt 2008, 11:28
    Farvana: you've enlightened me how flawed these stats are. I've deleted the OMI stats from my profile and I will leave this group.

Thunder
  • It is a problem and it will not be solved until yes, there will be some kind of regulation or people go and educate themselves and stop misstag stuff. Some people even tag things like "I cry to this", wtf?!

It would be completely ok if the tags didn't impact the other system as a whole but now it does and a lot of stuff relies on correct tagging such as artist relations.

I would like to see two different ways to tag: either you can subscribe somehow and claim to be a sort of mini professional or whatever and is interested in improve the tagging system and the other way would be for poeple who got no clue but would like to tag anyway.

Obviously the first system will be too much of a trouble for normal people who don't know a shit to tag and who aren't burning much for tagging so they will not bother with it and they can choose to which system to use ideally.

This way last.fm can have a "pure" tagging system where artist relations and other stuff like OMI can take their info from and if you wish yourself, use this system for other areas where tagging is used at last.fm or you can pick the more "free tagging system".

At least it is a solution because I doubt there will never be a true way to make some people stop misstag.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.