One hit wonder or not - READ!

• One hit wonder or not - READ!

Some people will always argue whether or not an artist is a one hit wonder. Now, the artists I have added as connections to this group have had one notable hit in the US, so they are based on US charts ONLY! Vanilla Ice may have had a bunch of top 10 hits in Ukraine or Finland, but I wouldn't know. This group is all about the artist that are defined as one hit wonders based on chart positions in the US.

Unique - New York
    • bd007h2 sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jan 2006, 23:39
    The Barenaked Ladies have like 4 hits in the US alone:

Pinch Me
    One Week
    The Old Apartment
    If I Had A Million Dollars

• barenaked shouldnt be listed

jf
    • bkarch9 sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 jan 2006, 02:02
    Lifehouse has put out 3 hits breathing, spin, and hanging by a moment
    Jimmy Eat world had 2-In the middle and pain
    Train had a bunch- ordinary, calling all angels, drops of jupiter, meet virginia, shes on fire, and when i look to the sky
    Five for fighting had 3-100 years, super man, and easy tonight

and whats up with barenaked ladies on there, they had 4 or 5 hits.

And yes, i am from the U.S.A.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...

• Define a hit. I am not talking underground radio here, I'm talking US top 40, Billboard, that kinda stuff.
    Now, The Barenaked Ladies have had 1 - ONE song in the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100, "One Week" peaking at number 1 in 1998.
    Jimmy Eat World too have had only one single in the top ten of the same chart, "The Middle", peaking at no. 5 i 2002.
    Train's only top 10 single was "Drops of Jupiter", peaking at number 5 in 2001.
    Five for Fighting have not had a single song in the top 10 of the Hot 100, "Superman (It's Not Easy) peaked at number 14 in 2001.

Lifehouse have had 2 singles in the top 10, "Hanging by a Moment" in 2001 and "You and Me" in 2005. I appologize for having them on the list and will remove them asap.

Unique - New York
    • bkarch9 sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 jan 2006, 05:03
    thanks

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...

• bd007h2 sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 jan 2006, 06:01
  • Link?

Please explain how a biography of the Barenaked Ladies changes the fact that hey have had only one single in the Billboard Hot 100 top 10?

Unique - New York
    • bd007h2 sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 feb 2006, 00:29
    there's more than one chart in the US, there's a chart at the bottom of the page showing how well some of their other songs did on another chart.

• It is impossible for me to keep track of all charts in the US, so when I started this group I decided to go with Billboard. Period.

Unique - New York
    • Balinsky sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 feb 2006, 04:04
    your system of going by billboard top ten is a little flawed. As many have said Train is not a one hit wonder. They sell more albums then you could possibly imagine and have many fans and a few singles. A one hit wonder would be more like Len no one has ever heard any of their other songs and their two top tracks are the same song one tagged wrong.

Music should be free
  • Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Roxy Music, Lou Reed, Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead, Iggy Pop, Beck and Radiohead have each had only one song in Billboard Magazine’s Top 40

I propose that we add those, especially Radiohead.

• Re:

Quoth PorscheFanatica:
    Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Roxy Music, Lou Reed, Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead, Iggy Pop, Beck and Radiohead have each had only one song in Billboard Magazine’s Top 40

I agree.

Winner's write the history books while Losers bury the dead.
  • One Hit Wonders

One-hit wonders are the artists/bands which have ONE big hit, whether it be on the charts, in marketing, on a soundtrack, what have you, the artist/band only has ONE recognizable song. When you think of Lou Bega, you think of Mamob #5. When you think of Tal Bachman, you think of She's So High. When you think of Norman Greenbaum, you think of Spirit in the Sky. And so on. But thats it. No other songs by such artists/bands come to mind.

Stevie Nicks, Barenaked Ladies, Jimmy Eat World, STEPPENWOLF, etc are all far from one-hit wonders.

• Re: Re:

Quoth MrModernRock:
    Quoth PorscheFanatica:
    Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Roxy Music, Lou Reed, Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead, Iggy Pop, Beck and Radiohead have each had only one song in Billboard Magazine’s Top 40

I agree.

I don't.

Unique - New York
  • Re: One Hit Wonders

Quoth MrModernRock:
    One-hit wonders are the artists/bands which have ONE big hit, whether it be on the charts, in marketing, on a soundtrack, what have you, the artist/band only has ONE recognizable song. When you think of Lou Bega, you think of Mamob #5. When you think of Tal Bachman, you think of She's So High. When you think of Norman Greenbaum, you think of Spirit in the Sky. And so on. But thats it. No other songs by such artists/bands come to mind.

Stevie Nicks, Barenaked Ladies, Jimmy Eat World, STEPPENWOLF, etc are all far from one-hit wonders.

When you think of Stevie Nicks, you think of "Edge of Seventeen". When you think of Barenaked Ladies, you think of "One Week". When you think of Jimmy Eat World, you think of "The Middle", and when you think of Steppenwolf, you think of "Born to be Wild".

One-hit wonder or not is a never-ending discussion as there are diffent views on how you define it. I have my idea of what defines a one-hit wonder, take it or leave it.

Unique - New York
  • Magic Carpet Ride?

• Funny, I'd think of Sweetness before thinking of The Middle (talking about JEW)

I'd say we find some sort of actual definition to use, instead of going from "Billboard top 10" to "when you think of 'artist'", both of which you've used.
    If it's the first, we throw Radiohead in there. If it's the second, we'll have big arguments.

• How about we nominate bands we think are "one-hit-wonders" and we all vote.

• WHOA I CALL VANILLA ICE

• Re:

Quoth PorscheFanatica:
    WHOA I CALL VANILLA ICE

GO NINJA GO NINJA GO NINJA GO!

LOL

• I'm willing to hear people out or make some kind of voting-thing on which artists should be included on in this group. The problem is though, that some people may have a personal attatchment to some band or artist, and claim that it is not a one-hit wonder, although it is. I may, for example, be obsessed with Dead or Alive and deny their status as a one-hit wonder, although it is clear to everyone else that they definitely were one. Clearly some people in here are JEW fans, and while it should be clear from chart positions that they have actually only had one hit single, fans may disagree on calling them a one hit wonder. I am, for example, not a huge JEW fan, and I know only their one hit single, and that perfectly proves my point: if you are not a big fan of a certain band, you may only know the one song, that has actually been a hit. I would therefor classify JEW as a one hit wonder band. So the idea of agreeing on which bands should or should not be connected to this group seems like an impossible task as there will always be huge fans of the different bands who will disagree.

Unique - New York
  • Well, there's almost 30 people in the group. So I say, roughly 18-20 people have to vote and agree if the nominated band is a one-hit wonder.

• Too bad there is no "poll" option for the forum posts. Voting will be really annoying and confusing.

By the way I don't think I actually ever signed up for the group.

Also: I'm not a huge JEW fan; I only know three songs, all of which I downloaded because of radio airplay

• Yeah with no poll-option in here it would be pretty complicated to make it work. How about if I start a thread in here where people can nominate bands, which they think are misplaced in this group that other people can then comment on?

Unique - New York
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.