• dai77 sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 sep 2008, 20:30

Introductions

W'sup Obscurists.

Give a brief intro and what type of music your into (or dislike).

Personally, I like very melodious music that tends to be poppish. I also grew up in the 80's so I enjoy anything with a synth new wave sound. Inventive sounds and lyrics are a major plus in my books.

I tend to dislike brash and egocentric music.

• I'm kinda all over the place...the first style of music that i got into was punk, Crass, Rudimentary Peni ,Black Flag, stuff like that but i guess now my fav genre is experimental music of all forms...i like noise a lot..love 60's girl groups, rockabilly...i really love lofi sounds..lofi folk/indie like early Mountain Goats and Daniel Johnston...a lot of the "new weird America" stuff ....i like a lot of stuff from japan, Boredoms, Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her, OOIOO, Afrirampo
    love real hip hop tribe called quest, darc minds,J Dilla,Blackalicious.....also experimental hip hop, stuff

i dislike soulless music..commercial background for the masses...music really matters to me ..commercial crap tends to be a mockery of music.

wow i sound like a snob!!!!!!

a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?
    Redigerad av edith_lunch den 8 sep 2008, 04:50
  • hmm.

well. im personally an indie pop person. haha. favorite bands/musicisans are Beirut, Animal Collective, (recently discovered and loving so much) Au Revoir Simone, Patrick Wolf, The Unicorns, and last but certainly not least of Montreal and Jens Lekman.

i also like a lot of instrumental stuff like A Hawk and a Hacksaw and more gypsy-ish sounding music like Gogol Bordello and DeVotchKa (devotchka is more folky i guess though).

i also love experimental stuff. hence one of my favorite bands being animal collective. also love Panda Bear, avey tare and his wife (forgot the name), and Black Moth Super Rainbow.

love noise/whatever you want to call it music like Sonic Youth and Pixies (though pixies are more alt indie so ive been told).

love normal indie indie and alternative indie ex: Cold War Kids and The Walkmen.

i like folk. ex: Bob Dylan and The Mountain Goats.

i like electro.

i like punk.

i like classic rock (but sometimes it starts sounding ALL the same to me)

ah i like a lot of stuff. but mainly indie + pop, electro, folk, alt, rock, experimental, gypsy, punk, singer songwriter. and yea.

mainly anything indie. ok i talk too much.

but i dislike anything mainstream (aside from Motion City Soundtrack hehe guilty pleasure please). and i dislike country (the most. gross. i hate country bleh. but oddly enough i like alt country like Wilco). i dislike rap and hiphop generally (unless its someone like Santogold who is pretty indie hip hop ish or if its someone like Ben Folds who did a cover of a rap song Bitches Ain't Shit). i dislike bands whose music sounds all the SAME and bands who dont have anything interesting but simply try to please the masses.

i like a lot of random stuff. and obscure stuff. even though the bands i mentioned dont sound too obscure haha.

so um thats about all hehe.

• Hello...

I don't know where to start. I am not really into one genre exclusively. I am willing to entertain anything, but I rarely like country music (I can't stand the country pop that rules the charts these days, but any country is a stretch for me) and I don't know enough about hip-hop to know what I like or don't like.

I am not a snob about things being obscure. I like odd, little bands nobody's ever heard of and 'wierd' experimental stuff, but I'm not above popping Dookie into the player now and again.

I love psychedelic pop/rock, but I can't handle most prog. Shoegaze/nugaze = yes, please. I like noise pop.

Brit Pop - I am still into it and its ilk, but not like I was in the 90's.

Anything with ironic, yet touching and/or literate lyrics is appealing to me. Dark and depressing is happy music to me.

Folktronica is one of my favorites, too.

Like ciaobonefish, I like the Balkan fusion stuff that is popular lately, both the disco side and the folk/rock side.

Until the last 5 years or so I was against dance music. I'm over that now.

Even though I'm old, I don't listen to a lot of oldies. My twenty-year-old niece listens to more 70's music than I do.

I like screaming guitars and intense drumming, but not metal.

And after all that, last says I am mostly indie. *shrugs*

I saw them at the Spitz, HQ Club, that was legendary...
    • dai77 sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 sep 2008, 10:15
    I agree. The Postal Service was my dance music breakthrough.

i dislike country (the most. gross. i hate country bleh. but oddly enough i like alt country like Wilco
    Same here. I absolutely hate modern country, but I'm okay with Ryan Adams, Wilco, Neko Case, and Magnolia Electric Co.

I'm also okay with classic country like Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, and Johnny Cash.

@edith_lunch: speaking of Crass, have you heard Jeffrey Lewis's album of Crass covers. That was actually my intro to Crass.

• yeah that Jeffrey Lewis record is great...i ♥ him

heard this track? it's awesome.
    http://songza.com/z/t601sh

a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?
  • hmm. i like quotes a lot. i suppose.

I'm also okay with classic country like Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, and Johnny Cash.
    i dont even consider johnny cash country haha. hes just awesome in general.
    I agree. The Postal Service was my dance music breakthrough.
    the postal service is awesome. just saying.
    Brit Pop - I am still into it and its ilk, but not like I was in the 90's.
    you have got to love Blur. right. right. right. woo hoo haha. britpop is cool.
    Personally, I like very melodious music that tends to be poppish.
    i agree. that kind of music is lovely.

• Is The Postal Service dance music? I was thinking more along the lines of Age of Jets! Y'know, the opposite of IDM. :)

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 sep 2008, 05:51
    If "feeling" was a genre, that would probably be my favourite.

• Användare
    • 9 sep 2008, 06:40

Re: Introductions

dai77 a dit :
    W'sup Obscurists.

Give a brief intro and what type of music your into (or dislike).

Personally, I like very melodious music that tends to be poppish. I also grew up in the 80's so I enjoy anything with a synth new wave sound. Inventive sounds and lyrics are a major plus in my books.

I tend to dislike brash and egocentric music.

I think you might like Psychic TV... I dunno >3<!

• dai77 sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 sep 2008, 09:37
    @dunkelengel - Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard of Psychic TV before, but I've never listened to them.

@poppy - Well I wouldn't consider The Postal Service to be exclusively dance but they have strong dance influence. I'll need to check out Age Of Jets. You'll also need to tell me a little more about folktronica.

@edith - I love that Jeffrey Lewis vid. I'll need to check out some of the artists that he mentions. I'm only familiar with VU.

@ciao - Yes, Johnny is awesome. He is like the Chuck Norris of music. :P

btw - My intro was very brief, but if you like to learn more about my listening habits here is link to a journal entry that I made last Feb.

http://www.last.fm/user/dai77/journal/2008/02/08/b94qp_my_musical_history

• @dai77
    You'll also need to tell me a little more about folktronica.
    Instead of telling you about it, how 'bout I just provide a folktronica sampler I put together. I am lousy at describing genres and such. I am sure if you asked 10 people they would each pick one or more of these tracks as the one that isn't folktronica and I guess they'd all be right in one way or another. Anyway, this the world of folktronica according to me.

P.S. Some of these artist are less familiar (I wouldn't say obscure) and some are mainstream in an alternative way. ;)

• aha!

edith_lunch reminded me of something i forgot to add! ive also been recently getting into some french music. especially Jacques Brel. i really love him!

• I don't know if you really need to check out Age of Jets... I just have the one track by them, RPM, but it is just a good example of the kind of silly dancy music I've gotten into in the last few years. Makes Daft Punk sound like Beethoven.

• poppyrocky said:
    I don't know if you really need to check out Age of Jets... I just have the one track by them, RPM, but it is just a good example of the kind of silly dancy music I've gotten into in the last few years. Makes Daft Punk sound like Beethoven.

sounds interesting for lack of better word haha. i think ill check them out too.

• caro_g sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 sep 2008, 17:40
    hello everyone. it looks like we're all into the same artists and 'genres'.

my personal favourites will always be 90s rock/pop bands. especially british oh yeah.

then i like some folk, country, alt. rock, really poppy happy stuff, etc. more than genres i like certain bands, but if i had to list them we'd be here all day. i'm also more of a 90s-00s person. old bands are ok but to be honest i don't feel it's related to me.

what do i dislike? i don't know if you're familiar with these since it's more of a latin american thing (i live in argentina), but i CANNOT stand cumbia, reggeaton and all that. it's disgusting. the noise, the lyrics, and everything it represents.

uh toda la paja pensar en una firma. lo dejo asi.
  • Hello.
    I like a little of the everything, especially in headphones.
    I adore Boredoms, Atom and His Package, Galaxie 500, Camper Van Beethoven, Monks of Doom, Slum Village, Swearing at Motorists and bunch of other stuff depending on the time of day.

WELCOME TO PLOPVILLE
    HELP BUILD PLOPVILLE INDUSTRY
    IMPROVE PLOPVILLE TRANSPORTATION

Last.FM Milestones100000th track: (17 Sep 2009)
    Let's Wrestle - In Dreams
    110000th track: (01 Feb 2010)
    Oddisee - Gully Featuring XO & YU
    120000th track: (25 Aug 2010)
    Horse Fashion - This is the End
    130000th track: (04 Nov 2011)
    Black Eyes - Cough, Cough
    Generated on 13 Dec 2011
    Get yours here
    • lofolulu sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 sep 2008, 16:49
    Hi!
    My music experience began with bands such as The Cars, Talking Heads, ELO, U2, INXS, Bob Marley, The Who, Police, B-52-s, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Manhattan Transfer.

In order, I adore indie pop, twee, some alternative and indie rock, reggae, jazz, a little rockabilly and swing, classical but no country at all. I love upbeat happy songs, glockenspeils, toy pianos, bells, random silliness, some danciness, and most anything with a British or Aussie sound.

Nowadays my fave bands are The Flaming Lips, Bishop Allen, Apples in Stereo, still Bob Marley, The Submarines, Los Campesinos, Belle and Sebastian, Rogue Wave, Dawn Landes, Band of Horses, Starlight Mints, and Silversun Pickups, etc, etc.... OOps! Sorry, I have so many favorites to list!!!

My current favorite, as I love most every track, is Bishop Allen’s old CD Charm School.

@poppyrocky- I agree with you. Country is my least favorite genre. Neko Case is even a little to country for my taste. Rilo Kiley and Wilco border my line of division.

@dunkenlengel- Thanks for the Pyscho TV rec. Ah, just one more name to add to my wishlist!!

• Användare
    • 19 sep 2008, 21:25

Hmm, well, in my case....

I'm quite fond of: noiserock, shoegaze, postrock, avant garde, artrock, experimental, electronica, twee pop, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, darkcabaret, sophisticated lyrics, folk, folktronica, I don't like all kinds of country but I like some of it. If the music is unique and different from the rest of what's happening in the mainstream i'll have a listen. I can sometimes be very open minded: some indie hiphop (not all of it, I just like Santogold that's pretty much it.....) When I was 16 years old from that age I grew up listening to Placebo. I despise mainstream music.

• Användare
    • 20 sep 2008, 00:33
    @ wizard: So you don't listen to Placebo anymore? D: *0*

• ^^ Dog 2/Kid 0 :)

Welcome, wizard!

• Användare
    • 20 sep 2008, 01:16

I still listen to Placebo! :D

since i grew up with that band, i don't care if it made it to the mainstream.... it was one of my first loves in music: also, I grew up listening Switchblade Symphony as well the song "rollercoaster" was the one track that was kept in repeat inside my head :] !

• welcome people.

@wizard - totally agree with you about country. i think dai77 and i talked about country earier haha. santogold is coolio and i also despise mainstream music. i think i wrote about that in my intro as well hahaha.

@lofolulu - welcome to you too haha. you seem to have wonderful taste in msuic as does everyone else here haha.

• welcome people.

@wizard - totally agree with you about country. i think dai77 and i talked about country earier haha. santogold is coolio and i also despise mainstream music. i think i wrote about that in my intro as well hahaha.

@lofolulu - welcome to you too haha. you seem to have wonderful taste in msuic as does everyone else here haha.

• lofolulu sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 sep 2008, 23:08
    @ciaobonefish- You have a great library as well!!

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.