New New Musical Express - August 2008

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 27 aug 2008, 16:49

Journal: UK Number 1 Singles - The Ultimate Tag Radio, by perfectreject

UK Number 1 Singles - The Ultimate Tag Radio, by perfectreject

Brilliant idea.

I’ve had some spare time lately so I gave myself a little project.
    Using everybody’s favourite reference point, Wikipedia, I have put together the ultimate tag station – every track that’s ever been number one in the UK charts since it started in 1952.

I’ve divided things into 7 different tags, all pretty self-explanatory:-
    (the counts might be slightly off but I don’t think anyone will die from it!)

1. UK Number One Single
    this is the ULTIMATE list; it contains every track that’s reached number one
    689 artists, 1117 tracks with 887 being streamable versions

2. UK Number One Single – 50s
    every track that reached number one in the 1950’s
    66 artists, 101 tracks with 86 being streamable versions

3. UK Number One Single – 60s
    every track that reached number one in the 1960’s
    114 artists, 194 tracks with 156 being streamable versions

4. UK Number One Single – 70s
    every track that reached number one in the 1970’s
    121 artists, 171 tracks with 136 being streamable versions

5. UK Number One Single – 80s
    every track that reached number one in the 1980’s
    147 artists, 193 tracks with 146 being streamable versions

6. UK Number One Single – 90s
    every track that reached number one in the 1990’s
    147 artists, 219 tracks with 155 being streamable versions

7. UK Number One Single – 00s
    every track that’s so far reached number one in the 2000’s
    152 artists, 245 tracks with 191 being streamable versions

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 27 aug 2008, 21:18

BBC to launch targeted web music service

August 27 2008

BBC Worldwide is planning to launch a targeted web music service from early next year, tapping the corporation's vast audio archive that includes the Old Grey Whistle Test, the John Peel Sessions and the Six Music hub.

Users will be able to stream tracks for free with the ad-funded service from BBC Worldwide, the corporation's commercial arm. Digital rights-free tracks, which will play across any brand of media player, will be available for download to own.

The streaming and downloads service will also include hundreds of tracks recorded as part of the BBC's exclusive deal to cover Glastonbury, as well as a bank of sessions recorded as part of the Radio 1 Live Lounge.

BBC Worldwide's first major online music initiative will initially offer more than 1,300 tracks and videos from BBC radio and TV shows.

But it will eventually be expanded to offer the full BBC music archive of more than 50,000 tracks and 3,000 hours of video.

The as yet unnamed service will also be able to offer all new music content as soon its broadcast rights for the BBC end, including content from the iPlayer.

A BBC Worldwide spokesman confirmed the project was in development, saying the organisation is "exploring a range of opportunities around direct-to-consumer websites and the utilisation of the BBC music archive along with other web content".

However, he added that the project has not yet been approved for launch.

BBC Worldwide signed a partnership with EMI in June to provide online access to content by the music label's artists in the BBC archive and is negotiating with three other major labels - Warner, Sony BMG and Universal.

The service requires approval from the BBC Worldwide board, which is expected to consider the project in the next few weeks. It is expected to launch fully in the first half of 2009.

BBC Worldwide's new online service would be based at a standalone web address, with display advertising as well as ads before, during and after video content.

A source said the service would be "built in an open way so that it would connect with the web music ecosystem".

The site's developers were aiming to build the service so that it could "reflect the discussion about music in other parts of the web", including connecting with users' social networking profiles and with recommendation services such as Last.fm.

BBC Worldwide will be keen to characterise the service as a unique offering that does not compete with commercial rivals such as Apple's dominant iTunes store, Amazon, or Sky's planned music retail offering.

The project will not be subject to the BBC Trust's public value or market impact tests applied to new licence fee-funded services because BBC Worldwide operates as an independent, commercial organisation.

Source: The Guardian

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 27 aug 2008, 21:23

Muxtape Reborn, Unofficially, as OpenTape

August 26, 2008

The RIAA shut down Muxtape but that doesn’t mean its memory won’t linger on the hearts of those who must share their love of the Hold Steady with the world. Enter OpenTape, an open source package that essentially recreates the Muxtape experience on a personal level. You simply download the application, unpack it on your web server, and then upload songs.

Source: TechCrunch

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 30 aug 2008, 23:35

Journal: Exposure : The Samanas, by me

Exposure : The Samanas, by me

Extract:

Artist: The Samanas
    Album: Stand Up Pat Whelan EP (on-demand, unlimited play)
    Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,
    Similar: Elliott Smith, Cass McCombs, Richard James

Pat Whelan is a London-based Yorkshireman who, a couple of Christmases ago, released an EP, Stand Up Pat Whelan EP, which was well received. Rough Trade said:

Debut EP from this mysterious Yorkshireman. Released through the fledgling Hard Graft label on Christmas eve 2006, this sets the bar very high for anything to follow. Strong lyrics, softly sung on four gorgeous, slow-burning songs thankfully shed a little light on an artist who would seemingly prefer to remain anonymous. 'Not Comfortable' performing live for the moment - it would be a real shame if this release passed unnoticed due to a lack of (self?) promotion. A sublime string arrangement on 'with this bullet' from Paris Motel's Amy May completes a very special package indeed. For fans of Elliott Smith, Cass McCombs and Richard James' (from Gorky's Zygotic Mynci) solo work.

See journal for more

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 30 aug 2008, 23:58

Exposure - The High Wire

Last.fm

I'm catching up on music I should have written about back in spring...

The High Wire are a London-based band. I don't know any more than that, mainly because the band themselves have held back on the blurb and let their music speak for itself.

Luckily for us, their debut album, Ahead of the Rain, has been uploaded in Last.fm and a few tracks are fully streamable.

Tags: , , ,
    Similar: , ,

MySpace
    Official Site

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 31 aug 2008, 00:10

Jack Rose - Dr Ragtime & Pals / Self Titled

Last.fm

This year's growing fascination with traditional American folk and blues continues with this release from Jack Rose - Dr Ragtime & Pals / Self Titled.

Jack Rose takes the main outline and creates either fine, clear, precise, finger-picked pictures, or he runs off into extended psychedelic ragas. All acoustic guitar and, according to his MySpace, recorded in one take.

He lists his influences as: John Fahey, Charley Patton, Robbie Basho, John Martyn, Blind Blake, Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Willie McTell, Pelt, Ry Cooder, ZM Dagar, Peter Walker

There are two tracks which are fully streamable from the album here in Last.fm. I will have to wait to hear the rest in my 2008 radio too.

This track, Kensington Blues, isn't on this album but it's good to see how he plays the guitar:

YouTube (Live in Berlin, 21.01.07)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 31 aug 2008, 01:28

The Garifuna Women's Project - Umalali

Last.fm

Continuing this year's earlier releases...

Someone has uploaded this album the wrong way around! Fortunately, I'm a bit of a detective and I found it.

If the name sounds familiar, it's because you might remember Andy Palacio & The Garifuna Collective, who released Wátina last year, to international acclaim. Sadly, Andy Palacio passed away at the beginning of this year after a sudden illness - The Times - Andy Palacio Obituary. The Garifuna Collective is a school of artists who champion the musical heritage of the Garifuna, descendents of shipwrecked slaves clustered on the Caribbean coasts of Central America.

This album was ten years in the making. It combines traditional songs by local women with multilayered production techniques perfected by Ivan Duran. Sometimes very moving, othertimes charming, wonderful and uplifiting, it is beautiful throughout. Has to be one of the albums of the year. Tagged for my 2008 radio with pleasure.

YouTube - video preview of the album

YouTube - Nibari (My Grandchild)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 31 aug 2008, 01:51

El Perro del Mar - From The Valley To The Stars

Last.fm

El Perro del Mar - From The Valley To The Stars is exquisite, delicate chamberpop with a twist, encompassing 60s folk-pop, a church organ, and jazzy undertones. Where it excels is in the fairy otherworldliness. Where it doesn't do quite so well is in the attempts at straightforward pop. Overall though, a dreamy joy.

YouTube Glory to the World

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 31 aug 2008, 02:13

Video: Kaki King - Can Anyone Who Has Heard This Music Really Be A Bad Person?

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 31 aug 2008, 02:44

Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners

Last.fm

An essential in any collection is Brilliant Corners, originally recorded in the 1950s. The new release is part of a reissue programme devoted to the producer Orrin Keepnews.

Playing with Thelonious Monk are Sonny Rollins, Max Roach, Clark Terry and Oscar Pettiford. The title track is the most interesting, for me. It's so difficult, it took 25 separate cuts had to be spliced together to produce the final piece. Keepnews describes the trouble the musicians had in the liner notes. In the video, below, he says it was "Hell on wheels."

YouTube - Brilliant Corners, Chapter 13 of "Orrin Keepnews, Producer". Worth watching!

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 31 aug 2008, 03:11

Exposure - Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke is London-based New Zealander, Pip Brown, who makes brilliant electro-pop and disco-rock. You'll have fun identifying all the influences, Human League, Gary Numan, Pat Benatar, Duran Duran, Siouxsie Sioux, LCD Soundsystem and more. I look forward to hearing the album, Ladyhawke, released 22 September. Meanwhile, here are some cheap, no-frills videos. Nice to see she hasn't wasted any money.

YouTube Paris Is Burning

Back of the Van

Dusk Till Dawn

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 31 aug 2008, 03:35

Girl Talk - Still Here

Girl Talk is mashup master Gregg Gillis. The track to begin with is Still Here. Not available in Last.fm (yet), but someone has listed a breakdown of tracks over in YouTube. Pay what you like for the new album, Feed the Animals, available from Illegal Art.

Still Here:

* 0:00 Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale
    * 0:00 Youngbloodz ft. Lil Jon - Damn!
    * 0:00 Kanye West ft. T-Pain - Good Life
    * 0:23 The Zutons - Pressure Point
    * 0:23 BLACKstreet ft. Dr. Dre - No Diggity
    * 0:29 Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow
    * 0:34 Kanye West ft. Dwele - Flashing Lights
    * 1:17 Radiohead - 15 Step
    * 1:28 Webbie - Independent
    * 1:38 The Band - The Weight
    * 1:41 Young Joc - It's Goin' Down
    * 2:08 Ben Folds Five - Battle of Who Could Care Less
    * 2:10 Ace of Base - All That She Wants
    * 2:10 Lil' Scrappy - Money In The Bank
    * 2:10 Cassidy with Swiss Beatz - My Drink n My 2 Step
    * 3:03 Fergie - London Bridge
    * 3:03 Kenny Loggins - Footloose
    * 3:05 Gorilla Zoe - Hood Nigga
    * 3:35 Beastie Boys - So What'cha Want
    * 3:35 Beck - E-Pro
    * 3:35 Salt-n-Pepa - Whatta Man
    * 3:41 50 Cent - I Get Money
    * 3:41 Cat Stevens - Here Comes My Baby
    * 3:41 Audio Two - Top Billin'

The Video Mashup (features originals)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 31 aug 2008, 04:21

Liam Finn

Amazon UK

Album: I'll Be Lightning (not available in Last.fm yet)

My peer group might be interested in this. Liam Finn is the son of Neil Finn - Crowded House, Split Enz.

There's not much to go on in Last.fm right now, save for live versions of his material. I like what's there. Lo-fi indie-rock, old-fashioned analogue recording, well put together. Good stuff.

Better To Be (good video)

YouTube Second Chance

Gather To The Chapel

Liam's Dad and Uncle Tim in Split Enz, I Got You (1980)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 31 aug 2008, 04:48

Things in Herds - Nothing is Lost

Last.fm

Things In Herds - Nothing is Lost

This is the kind of thing I'd prefer to keep to myself. For once, I'll break my rule and share.

Things In Herds are a pared-back, lo-fi, more intimate take on Joy Zipper. Not musically, but in terms of intimacy between an established couple.

If you know what means, you'll pounce on this. For the rest of you, I should cite Nick Drake, Low and Red House Painters to give you an idea of what they sound like.

The title track, Nothing is Lost, is available as a free download in Last.fm. The rest of the album is fully streamable and tagged for my 2008 radio.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 31 aug 2008, 05:37

Exposure - Little Boots

From Blackpool Pleasure Beach we have Little Boots, infectious , .

Meddle is fully streamable in Last.fm and is a must-listen. Stuck on Repeat isn't available (yet) but can be heard in YouTube. Warning - it's very, very catchy. It's like I Feel Love gone wrong.

MySpace

YouTube Stuck on Repeat

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 31 aug 2008, 07:51

Grantura - In Dreams And Other Stories

Grantura have uploaded their debut album in Last.fm, In Dreams And Other Stories, ahead of the 29 September official release date.

It's such a pleasure to tag this for our 2008 radio. If you remember, they were my reco of the week back in May. Their harmony-led alt-country continues to shine and cheer in the new album. The BBC are already head-over-heels in love with them. And so am I.

YouTube Down From The Mountain

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 1 sep 2008, 00:18
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.