New New Musical Express - February 2008

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 2 mar 2008, 01:09

Exposure: Human Bell

Amazon UK

Human Bell create delicate minimalist post-rock, picking up blues, middle eastern and african influences along the way.

They are Dave Heumann (of Arbouretum) and Nathan Bell (ex-Lungfish). They've been playing music together for the last 8 years or so and in the last couple of years, they have played shows with: the Silver Jews, Bonnie Prince Billy, Joe Lally (ex- Fugazi), Endless Boogie, Warmer Milks, Aminadab, Sir Richard Bishop, Jackie-O MF, Autumn Defense (members of Wilco), Asa Irons (Feathers & Witch), Otto Hauser (Espers), and Tara Jane O'Neil. This album, their first, was recorded by Paul Oldham (Will's brother).

The music is like something you might hear in a dream, effortless, accomplished, other-worldly, with unexpected twists and turns that capture the imagination.

The whole album, Human Bell, has been uploaded on their MySpace

Music to watch the clouds roll by on a lazy afternoon.

Video - Splendor And Concealment

Video - Outposts Of Oblivion

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 2 mar 2008, 01:48

One More Grain - Isle of Grain

Amazon UK

Here's what I said about One More Grain last year - NNME Exposure, April 07

The new album, Isle of Grain, was released at the end of January 08.

Listening to the tracks on their MySpace, I don't know what to make of it still. My first thought was, 'Is he having a laugh?' then quickly realised, no, actually, this is good. Very good. The lyrics will keep you anyway but listen to the instruments. That trumpet is sublime, especially in Lad With A Balloon.

Daniel Patrick Quinn is being hailed as a cult-figure in the making now. He's from Lancashire. That's my neck of the woods. I'm so proud of him!

LOL! The Independent said "Odd as a bag of badgers.". They're not wrong.

How do I describe the music? I still keep thinking The Fall. Mark E Smith. I suppose I would, being a northerner. It's , with and and all muddled up. It's not a mess, it's not in the slightest bit wrong and hilarious (so easily happens). I'm not pointing and laughing, I just want more.

I call it absolutely amazing.

Really hope Last.fm upload the album soon. (Pretty please!!)

MySpace

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 2 mar 2008, 02:52

Exposure: The Coal Porters

Amazon UK

Wow, I was just going to say I've never heard of before, but then I see that's because these guys invented it and I'm only just hearing about them. Well, I love it!! (Refrains from a yeee-hawww. Yeah, that one).

Their new album, Turn the Water on, Boy!, (slaps thigh), is uploaded in Last.fm and I've tagged it for our Featured Albums 08 radio.

MySpace

The band is led by Sid Griffin, ex Long Ryders.

None of the videos in YouTube are all that good (at the time of writing), but this one gives you an idea. Lovely, lovely harmonies.

Video - clip of Yonder Over Canaan

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 2 mar 2008, 03:24

Exposure: Melody Gardot

Amazon UK

I want to preserve the blurb in Last.fm before someone re-writes it. It reads:

Melody Gardot is an American musician in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was disabled at 19, after being struck by a car while atop her bicycle. This event, though tragic, led to her recognition as a remarkable musician.
    Her musical beginning was prompted by a tending physician who was concerned with her cognitive impairment as a result of head injury sustained in the accident. He believed music would help her brain injury drastically improve, as it has been known to show remarkable results in improving people's cognitive ability after such trauma. It helps by rebuilding the pathways within the brain which are necessary for recalling data. (Specifically in the areas of Memory, Calculating Data, Executive Functioning Skills, etc.)
    Following her doctor's suggestion, Melody Gardot made recordings bedside, while still unable to walk, and eventually released the works as an EP titled "Some Lessons the Bedroom Sessions". Gardot's desire to be well combined with a bit of luck, and brought her to the attention of a local radio DJ at the AAA station WXPN. (Known for launching the careers of artists such as Amos Lee and Norah Jones) She quickly gained notoriety as "a singer/songwriter phenom", both for her stunning music as well as her remarkable courage despite her afflictions.

As if that's not inspiring enough, Melody Gardot's music is as good as they say it is. The new album, Worrisome Heart, is in Last.fm and I've tagged it for our Featured Albums 08 radio.

The music is quiet, sophisticated . It might well be played everywhere, it's certainly radio-friendly, but it also has that other quality that only comes to life when it's just you and the music and a glass of your favourite.

MySpace

Video - Worrisome Heart (live on NBC)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 2 mar 2008, 17:13

Exposure: Hotpants Romance

Amazon UK, 10 March.

Hahahahahaha!

They can't sing, they're not even in tune, they only know three chords, the lyrics are rubbish, and they're a lot of fun. Quality.

Manchester, so much to answer for.

Hotpants Romance - new album, It's A Heatwave, out 10 March.

MySpace

Video - Sugar Dip, filmed "in glorious camera phone"

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 2 mar 2008, 17:45

Exposure: The Young Republic

Amazon UK, Sept 07

Looks like the spotlight is just starting to pan over this little band of eight students from Boston. They played last year's End of the Road festival here in the UK, with their trusted flute, accordian, viola and mandolin to accompany them. They sound the spit of Belle and Sebastian, so if you like them, you'll like The Young Republic. I do, so they're in.

Their album, 12 Tales From Winter City, is nice, in a Belle and Sebastian kind of way but mixed up with americana, folk and rock 'n' roll. People are tagging it indie pop in Last.fm. It is... and it isn't. Such a lazy tag.

My favourite track (on their MySpace) - Blue Skies, I love how it opens.

MySpace

Video - Modern Plays

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 2 mar 2008, 18:27

Exposure: Grant Campbell

Amazon UK, 14 Jan

Grant Campbell is a Glaswegian singer-songerwriter who sounds like a bear. I like bears, so he's in.

Beyond Below is his second album, (fully streamable in Last.fm and tagged for our Featured Albums 08 radio). The music is quite polished, though his voice isn't, and the style is gentle country rock, but very, very masculine. Like a great big grizzly gentle bear with a guitar.

I don't want to see what he looks like. I've got Grizzly Adams on my mind. He's singing Careless Words to me. : )

MySpace

Redigerad av Babs_05 den 2 mar 2008, 21:00
    • Babs_05 sa...
    • 2 mar 2008, 20:08

Exposure: Aidan John Moffat

Amazon UK, 11 Feb.

Unsurprisingly, there's no MySpace page for us to hear tracks off this album from Aidan John Moffat (ex Arab Strap), but I did manage to find a widget with samples of some of the tracks - here.

You can go to the Official Site but you must be 18 to enter.

The album comes in two parts, a booklet, which you're encouraged to read first, then the music.

Before you go clicking on it, I should warn you the lyrics are explicit. It's getting mixed reviews, so you may or may not like it. I do and as soon as I Can Hear Your Heart is uploaded in Last.fm, I'm tagging it.

Moffat's style is poetry spoken over music. At times uncomfortable and ugly, there is no doubt, in my mind, this is a great album and shows how it should be done. There are plenty of others who have a go at being this candid and lewd, sure, but most of them end up making us titter behind our hands. Doesn't happen here.

Video - Beak

Video - Super Sexxxy Real Live

Video - Hopelessly Devoted

Video - Fuck It

I'm Not Bitter

I tried to be clever and call your bluff,
    you tried to punch me and then packed up all my stuff.
    When I pretended for ages that I'd stopped eating meat,
    you found out and said that I could sleep in the street.
    When you took my hand, I used to fill up with pride,
    but we stayed in a lot, eating pizzas and watching the telly and now you're just getting wide,
    and after the shouting and the drinking and the weeping,
    I can't say that there's much that you gave me worth keeping.

But I'm not bitter.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 2 mar 2008, 20:39

Exposure: Dawn Kinnard

Amazon UK, 10 March.

Dawn Kinnard has a gruff voice for the daughter of a Pennsylvanian Baptist minister. Not only that, she seems to be a huge fan of Elvis too.

The music is dark, blues-y soul jazz with her great gravelly over the top. The new album, The Courtesy Fall is in Last.fm and tagged for our radio.

MySpace

Video - Devil's Flame

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 2 mar 2008, 20:48
    826 views at time of 'publishing'

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.