My Gang Recos Of The Week

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 29 apr 2009, 01:56

Manchester Orchestra - I've Got Friends : Reco of the Week 28 Apr 09

Journal Manchester Orchestra - I've Got Friends : Reco of the Week 28 Apr 09

Track: I've Got Friends (full track)
    Artist: Manchester Orchestra
    Album: Mean Everything To Nothing (27 Apr 09)
    Tags: , ,

It's like Cheerios. You see everyone eating them. You think: nah, not me, I'm not falling for the hype, it's only cereal, it'll taste like everything else, forget it. Then one day, someone offers you a bowl. It's right there infront of you, all you have to do is pick up the spoon, no effort involved whatsoever. You think: what the heck, can't hurt... And you find you bl**dy love it! Best thing you ever tasted! That's Manchester Orchestra.

No video this week, USA only I'm afraid, and they can sort themselves out, I'm sure. I've Got Friends has been uploaded as a full track in Last.fm, so we can all hear it. (I hope. Let me know if you can't).

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 6 maj 2009, 05:39

The Horrors - Sea Within A Sea : Reco of the Week 05 May 09

The Horrors - Sea Within A Sea : Reco of the Week 05 May 09

Track: Sea Within a Sea
    Artist: The Horrors
    Album: Primary Colours (4 May 09)
    Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,
    Video: Click the pic...

YouTube, official video, 8:23

About turn, anyone? After an initial, over-hyped, appalling album, The Horrors return with a gem of a second with Primary Colours, out this week.

Sea Within a Sea is a song on a song on another song and was produced by Geoff Barrow of Portishead. The first four minutes sound like Can's Mother Sky, unpromising, self indulgent, lulling you into a false sense of insecurity , but not enough to stop listening. Then it starts. The shift into the next movement jerks you awake and from there on in, it just gets more and more exciting, till suddenly, they all look extremely attractive and you'll forgive them anything. The third movement, at around five minutes in, sounds familiar. People in Last.fm are saying it's distinctly like Portishead's The Rip, but personally, it reminds me of something new wave or new romantic, something I used to love, but I can't name that tune. Anyway, the track ends in sheer, glorious joy. A fantastic way to end an excellent album.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 12 maj 2009, 19:05

Fever Ray - When I Grow Up : Reco of the Week 12 May 09

Journal Fever Ray - When I Grow Up : Reco of the Week 12 May 09

Track: When I Grow Up (full track)
    Artist: Fever Ray
    Album: Fever Ray (30 Mar 2009)
    Tags: , , , , , ,

YouTube Official Video

When I grow up, I want to be a forester
    Run through the moss on high heels
    That’s what I’ll do, throwing out boomerang
    Waiting for it to come back to me

For me, this is the stuff of daydreams. The song is a record of Fever Ray's musings one sunny afternoon watching the clouds drift by after yet another night of no sleep and her mind spiralling on nothing. I imagine.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 19 maj 2009, 22:26

Micachu and the Shapes - Calculator : Reco of the Week 19 May 09

Journal: Micachu and the Shapes - Calculator : Reco of the Week 19 May 09

Track: Calculator (full track)
    Artist: Micachu and the Shapes / Micachu
    Album: Jewellery (09 Mar 09)
    Tags: , , , ,

YouTube, live performance

Calculator is the track that stood out for me during my first listen and I was pleased to find a fairly decent live performance of it in YouTube. It's drenched in samples and, like the rest of the album, cleverly put together. I keep wanting to stop and identify pieces but somehow, it doesn't seem the point. Micachu seems to be using anything and everything she can get her hands on to propel her own ideas, not showcase her music library. (In case you're wondering, it's The Champs - Tequila you're reminded of.) So in effect, you're listening to a new whole, and this is why she's described as genre-breaking.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 27 maj 2009, 00:35

The Human League - The Sound of the Crowd : Reco of the Week 26 May 09

Journal The Human League - The Sound of the Crowd : Reco of the Week 26 May 09

Track: The Sound of the Crowd
    Artist: The Human League
    Album: Dare (1981)

First things first, this is the thread everyone ought to read: CBS handed over USER DATA (including IP addresses) to the RIAA. Note that one of the mods copied a response from staff and added it to the first post.

TechCrunch thought they could manipulate us but who influenced how the story was seen? We did, with what we discovered and by speaking up.

Here's the song I didn't reco: Do or Die

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 3 jun 2009, 00:45

Jon Hopkins - Cold Out There : Reco of the Week 02 Jun 09

Journal: Jon Hopkins - Cold Out There : Reco of the Week 02 Jun 09

Track: Cold Out There (full track)
    Artist: Jon Hopkins
    Album: Opalescent (2005)

YouTube

I have heard two outstanding new innovative electronic albums in the last few days - Moderat - Moderat and Jon Hopkins - Insides, both released in May and both equally as ingenious. The only reason I've chosen Jon Hopkins is because I also want to tell you about the latest news from The Arctic Circle and the Chiller Cabinet.

The track I recommend this week is one I have heard many times on The Chiller Cabinet, a late night radio show of "ambience, movies, & minimalism", currently on ChillDAB. The track is available here in Last.fm and I have it tagged for the group radio, which is based entirely on official tracklists I have managed to get hold of. To date, it has been my favourite Jon Hopkins track, although having heard the new album, I have some thinking to do. Also, we are enjoying a mini-heatwave here in London which apparently ends overnight tonight. So this is our weather forecast for the coming week! (Well maybe not quite...).

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 10 jun 2009, 01:30

The Associates - Party Fears Two : Reco of the Week 09 Jun 09

Journal: The Associates - Party Fears Two : Reco of the Week 09 Jun 09

Track: Party Fears Two (full track)
    Artist: The Associates
    Album: Sulk (1982)
    Tags: , , , , , , ,

(YouTube, original ToTP footage)

I'm good at my genre classifications but even after all these years, I still couldn't begin to place Party Fears Two or the album it comes from, Sulk. It's a perfect example of genre-breaking originality.

The song is about the tail end of a party, when excitement is still in the air but the desperate signs that it's over are beginning to show. The music begins with glitzy, shiny synthpop, glittering with promise, belying the darkness underneath in the lyrics, "The alcohol loves you while turning you blue". Delivered with MacKenzie's multi-octave vocals, the whole is a track that once heard, is never forgotten.
    (see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 17 jun 2009, 06:01

John Lennon - Power To The People : Reco of the Week 16 Jun 09 #iranelection

Journal: John Lennon - Power To The People : Reco of the Week 16 Jun 09 #iranelection

Track: Power to the People
    Artist: John Lennon
    Tags: , ,

YouTube

Well, what else was I going to pick this week, the week of a fraudulent election in Iran, mass protests, banned media, internet censorship, worldwide support and the sudden vital importance of, of all things, Twitter. #iranelection.

This is no ordinary protest and it's not just about a disputed election. It's the biggest rally since the days of the Iranian Revolution of 1979.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 24 jun 2009, 05:56

Bob Marley - Redemption Song : Reco of the Week 23 Jun 09

Journal: Bob Marley - Redemption Song : Reco of the Week 23 Jun 09

Track: Redemption Song
    Artist: Bob Marley
    Tags: , , ,

YouTube, acoustic version
    How long shall they kill our prophets, While we stand aside and look?

Her name was Neda

Neda Salehi Agha Sultan, 1982 - 2009

If I was deeply upset when I realised the crisis in Iran was serious last week Monday, it was nothing compared to the moment I watched what happened to Neda on Saturday evening. It's three full days now and I am still weeping.

I am not alone. Despite Neda's story not reaching mainstream 'old' media until quite late, the internet was raging with anger and openly wept with me. People across the world were horrified. Grown men cried and cried and admitted it. Parents looked at their children anew, kissing them like newborns no matter what their age. But all these responses came later. For the first few hours, there was silence.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 1 jul 2009, 05:54

Michael Jackson - One Day In Your Life : Reco of the Week 30 Jun 09

Journal: Michael Jackson - One Day In Your Life : Reco of the Week 30 Jun 09

Track: One Day In Your Life
    Artist: Michael Jackson
    Album: Forever, Michael (1975)
    Tags: , r&b, , ,

YouTube tribute video

June 2009 was a month that brought unimaginable loss on a global scale, from martyrs being created in Iran to a Charlie's Angel, ending with the sudden loss of the King of Pop himself. I don't think I have ever known so much sadness in so short a time. I think our month of angels deserves to be acknowledged, although if you can't handle it, fair enough, that's ok too.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 7 jul 2009, 17:18

Henryk Górecki - II. Lento E Largo - Tranquillissimo : Reco of the Week 07 Jul 09

Henryk Górecki - II. Lento E Largo - Tranquillissimo : Reco of the Week 07 Jul 09

Track: II. Lento E Largo - Tranquillissimo (10:15) (full track)
    Artist: Henryk Górecki
    Album: GORECKI: Symphony No. 3 / Three Olden Style Pieces

YouTube - static image of tree

After a month of tears and mayhem, I didn't want to write another journal full of sadness, I wanted to take a time out. However, today is the day of Michael Jackson's memorial. It will be an unprecedented global event, due to begin in about 90 minutes, as I write.

(see journal for more)

Redigerad av Babs_05 den 22 jul 2009, 04:37
    • Babs_05 sa...
    • 22 jul 2009, 04:35

The 5th Dimension - Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In : Reco of the Week 21 Jul 09

The 5th Dimension - Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In : Reco of the Week 21 Jul 09

Track: Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In (1969)
    Artist: The 5th Dimension
    Album: Hair

YouTube

I originally picked this to commemorate the moon landing which everyone seems to be hailing this week, even though forty is an odd number to celebrate. As I write, the longest solar eclipse of the century is occurring in some parts of the world. Also, I picked it for it's positivity and cheerfulness in a bid to break away from the heavy articles I've written recently, although, as the musical Hair partly addresses the anti-Vietnam War peace movement, maybe I haven't done so well stepping away from the civil rights movement in Iran after all.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 29 jul 2009, 01:23

DJ Morgoth - Never Gonna Give Your Teen Spirit Up [Nirvana vs. Rick Astley] : Reco of the Week 28 Jul 09

Nirvana vs Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give Your Teen Spirit Up : Reco of the Week 28 Jul 09

Track: Never Gonna Give Your Teen Spirit Up [Nirvana vs. Rick Astley] (free download)
    Artist: DJ Morgoth
    Album: Guilty Pleasures - Volume Two RICKRAWKED

It's August as of this weekend, the silly season is upon us, so I may as well make a start.

I'm not usually a fan of mashups though I'll give them a fair listen because sometimes, just sometimes, along comes a gem. This mashup of Nirvana vs Rick Astley is most definitely one of them. I'd go so far as to say it's the best I've ever heard.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 5 aug 2009, 01:18

thecocknbullkid - I'm Not Sorry : Reco of the Week 04 Aug 09

Jounal: thecocknbullkid - I'm Not Sorry : Reco of the Week 04 Aug 09

Track: I'm Not Sorry
    Artist: thecocknbullkid
    Album: Querelle EP (out today, 4 Aug 09)

[ full stream here ]

Say hello to the sound of London 2009.

thecocknbullkid is 23 year old Hackney girl, Anita Blay, who cleverly weaves her deepest and darkest in and under shiny, glitzy layers of contemporary pop.

On the one hand, her appreciation of artists such as Morrissey, Kate Bush, and Björk influences how she expresses herself in her lyrics. On the other is her very evident knowledge of 80s electronica, soul, funk, hip-hop and dance music. The two combined make for the most exciting thing to come out of London this year, according to the NME.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 14 aug 2009, 01:12

The Stone Roses - Fools Gold : Reco of the Week 11 Aug 09

Journal: The Stone Roses - Fools Gold : Reco of the Week 11 Aug 09

Track: Fools Gold (full length)
    Artist: The Stone Roses
    Album: Turns Into Stone (1992)
    Tags: ,

YouTube, audio only

[ Official Website celebrating 20th Anniversary of debut ]

If you don't have The Stone Roses eponymous debut album, you should get it. I have had this album since 1989 or 1990 and hand on heart, I don't think I could live without it. When my first copy was stolen, I went out and bought another one. Didn't even think twice.

It has been hard to pick one track from the album, so I've decided to go for the track that isn't on the original but a lot of people think is. "Fools Gold/What the World Is Waiting For" is a double A-side which reached number eight on the UK Singles Chart in November 1989. It has been re-released this year as part of the 20th Anniversary celebration and appears in its full length 9:53mins on the remastered edition.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 20 aug 2009, 00:17

Soap&Skin - DDMMYYYY : Reco of the Week 18 Aug 09

Soap&Skin - DDMMYYYY : Reco of the Week 18 Aug 09

Track: DDMMYYYY
    Artist: Soap&Skin
    Album: Lovetune For Vacuum

YouTube

In the last couple of days, I have had less than four hours sleep. I can't tell you how good this sounds and feels, jangling on my nerves and reminding me of nightmares.

DDMMYYYY is an instrumental electronic track that's more percussive than ethereal, bringing to mind artists such as Aphex Twin. Beginning with drums, it is largely repetitive and instead of building to a crescendo, it introduces distressed vocals in the background, which close the track with horrified screams.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 26 aug 2009, 04:28

Mew - Introducing Palace Players : Reco of the Week 25 Aug 09

Mew - Introducing Palace Players : Reco of the Week 25 Aug 09

Track: Introducing Palace Players
    Artist: Mew
    Album: No more stories Are told today I'm sorry They washed away No more stories The world is grey I'm tired Let's wash away (24 Aug 09)

YouTube

This week's track is a delicious example from the kedgiree that is the fifth album from alt-rock Danish band Mew, released this week.

'Introducing Palace Players' begins with slightly stiff proggy math-rock, soaring dangerously into Dad Rock territory via dream pop. It is at once both cheerful and cheesy but at no point is it disposable.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 2 sep 2009, 03:40

The xx - Infinity : Reco of the Week 01 Sept 09

The xx - Infinity : Reco of the Week 01 Sept 09

Track: Infinity
    Artist: The xx
    Album: xx (Aug 09)

YouTube, audio upload

My pick this week, Infinity, draws from Chris Isaak's Wicked Game and Jimmy Somerville's Smalltown Boy, for those tearing their hair out trying to remember.

I like 'Infinity' especially for its humour. It's a little bit tongue-in-cheek. He wants her to give in. She's not falling for it. He's coaxing. She's refusing. The whole song is a to-ing and fro-ing between the pair of them which leaves you wondering: did she or didn't she?

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 9 sep 2009, 05:32

The Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows : Reco of the Week 08 Sept 09

The Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows : Reco of the Week 08 Sept 09

Track: Tomorrow Never Knows
    Artist: The Beatles
    Album: Revolver (Aug 1966)

YouTube 1966 ABC cartoon clip

Tomorrow is 09.09.09, release day for the remastered Beatles albums.

Of all the tracks that I want to hear, and there are a fair number, the one I am most excited about is this one, 'Tomorrow Never Knows', which I didn't notice until a friend put it on a mixtape when I was about 17. To say it took me by surprise is an understatement. I can still remember the shock when it came on, looking at the tracklist to see who it was, then staring at the name, not believing it was The Beatles.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 16 sep 2009, 16:29

Jackie Edwards - Keep On Running : Reco of the Week 15 Sept 09

Jackie Edwards - Keep On Running : Reco of the Week 15 Sept 09

Track: Keep On Running
    Artist: Jackie Edwards
    Album: Come On Home (1965)

YouTube, audio upload

A rare treat for a rare achievement. Today, Eddie Izzard, one of my favourite comedians, completed his 43rd marathon in almost as many days to help raise money for charity.

I don't know what kind of music Eddie Izzard likes but I'm hoping he likes northern soul. Keep On Running was a number one hit for The Spencer Davis Group in 1965, when group member Steve Winwood was still a teenager, but the song was written by Jackie Edwards. (see what I did there? Edwards... Eddie...)

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 23 sep 2009, 01:01

Aphrodite's Child - End Of The World : Reco of the Week 22 Sept 09

Aphrodite's Child - End Of The World : Reco of the Week 22 Sept 09

Track: End of the World
    Artist: Aphrodite's Child
    Album: End of the World

YouTube, 1969

This isn't the song I originally wanted to reco this week. The one I wanted to go with is also on this album, the riproaring You Always Stand in My Way, but the video for this one is better.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 15 dec 2009, 23:15

Elizabeth Fraser - Moses (Spaceland Remix) : Reco of the Week 15 Dec 09

Elizabeth Fraser - Moses (Spaceland Remix) : Reco of the Week 15 Dec 09

Track: Moses (Spaceland Remix)
    Artist: Elizabeth Fraser
    Album: Moses EP (single) (27 Nov 09)

YouTube, audio upload

It was going to take something special I had to tell everyone about to get me back into writing these, and this is it.

Moses is the first single from Elizabeth Fraser in a decade and wouldn't have been released at all if her close friend, Jake Drake-Brockman, hadn't tragically lost his life in a motorcycle accident in September.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 23 dec 2009, 03:23

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name : Reco of the Week 22 Dec 09

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name : Reco of the Week 22 Dec 09

Track: Killing in the Name
    Artist: Rage Against the Machine
    Album: Rage Against the Machine (1992)

YouTube, original official video, explicit

It's Christmas this week. It should be all Frosty The Snowman, Jingle Bells or how much we're dreaming of a white Christmas but no. What's the people's choice? "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me." That has to be one of the funniest Christmas number ones ever. I loved this song on its release and am very pleased to see it back in the charts.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 30 dec 2009, 17:29

Animal Collective - My Girls : Reco of the Week 29 Dec 09

Animal Collective - My Girls : Reco of the Week 29 Dec 09

Track: My Girls
    Artist: Animal Collective
    Album: Merriweather Post Pavilion (2009)
    Tags: , , , , ,

YouTube

Thinking about a song for the decade, I found I couldn't, or didn't want to, pick one, certainly not one that fell in any particular genre. That thought led to the growing number of bands and artists who are difficult to define, sweeping up elements from a range of genres and styles across the decades as they do, creating music that's at once familiar as it is groundbreaking. You can see what I did next - I picked the best of the lot, Animal Collective, and one my favourite songs from them this year, My Girls.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 5 jan 2010, 16:57

Paloma Faith - Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful? : Reco of the Week 05 Jan 10

Paloma Faith - Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful? : Reco of the Week 05 Jan 10

or this one

Track: Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful?
    Artist: Paloma Faith
    Album: Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful? (Sept 09)
    Tags: , , , , ,

YouTube, Official Video

I can be who you want me to be

The perfect song to begin the new decade with as we wipe the slate clean and make a fresh start.

Redigerad av Babs_05 den 8 jan 2010, 23:37
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.