Joy Division

• hokstein sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 nov 2006, 01:50

Joy Division

So...

What about the upcoming movie about Ian Curtis' life?

What about being fan of a band that recorded so few material?

But don't forget the songs that made you cry
    And the songs that saved your life
  • their making a movie abuot him?? thats awesome, is it like a big production thing or one of those independent little documenteries?

• Cylob sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 nov 2006, 10:53
    I hope it'll be a bit of both.

It'd be fitting it some of the scenes were in black and white.

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
    • hokstein sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 nov 2006, 15:29
    vaseofkarma said:
    their making a movie abuot him?? thats awesome, is it like a big production thing or one of those independent little documenteries?

I'm not sure, but it seems to be an independent movie. At least I never heard of the studios involved.

Here's the official site and the IMDb entry. There's also some discussion going on about this in the Joy Division group in Last.fm, right here.

Cylob
    It'd be fitting it some of the scenes were in black and white.

Hey, the whole movie should be in black and white. Who needs colours? They're too happy. ;-)

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 nov 2006, 06:31
    The IMDb page claims the movie WILL be in black-and-white! How cool. This is a movie I definitely want to see.

• Joy Division remains to be the single band being able to frustrate and enjoy me at the same time. From the 2 infamous studio albums I heard (Closer, Unknown Pleasures), are "Isolation" and "Disorder" absolutely stunning, while most of the rest is just plain boring. I've actually given up on them, because I can't see what is so good about them apart from those 2 songs.

Such a shame :(

• Användare
    • 29 jan 2007, 23:00
    You don't like She's Lost Control? Shadowplay? Interzone? And though it's a non-album track, Love Will Tear Us Apart??

I only have Unknown Pleasures, but before I bought it, I sort of assumed that they weren't my kind of music, too dark and slow. But when everyone else was telling me left and right how great they were, I bought it on a whim and just let it sink in. And it is, in fact, great. But it's a definite grower. Give it another chance.

It could be that you don't like them, but I suspect that you haven't really listened to it thoroughly. A lot of stuff I think is "boring" at first I grow to like with repeated listens.

• Yeah, I agree with CarsCat, keep trying. Looking at your profile, you have great taste, and I'm surprised you don't care for them (It's not a requirement to like Joy Division, I'm just surprised). Even after all these years, and hundreds of spins of both albums, I still get goosebumps when listening.

notimportant2 said:
    Joy Division remains to be the single band being able to frustrate and enjoy me at the same time. From the 2 infamous studio albums I heard (Closer, Unknown Pleasures), are "Isolation" and "Disorder" absolutely stunning, while most of the rest is just plain boring. I've actually given up on them, because I can't see what is so good about them apart from those 2 songs.

Such a shame :(

• I've to admit that, indeed, I haven't listened to either record thoroughly. I blame it to the lifeless and bleak tone of Ian's voice, and it's combination with the overuse of the same lifeless, hollow drums.

I will definitely give them more than 1 total spin anywhere in the near future, but right now I'm totally done with them.

But thanks for the insight CarsCat & hickorywind, really appreciated :)

• What? The drumming is one of the many highlights of Joy Division.

Indeed, as hickorywind said, I've listened to Joy Division many a times but even now I can get goosebumps even when only thinking about them and their music.

Truly, one of the few key special bands for me.

• tgodd sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 feb 2007, 08:21
    i can listen to Shadowplay 15 times in a row and not get bored of it.

big jerk @
    • Cylob sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 feb 2007, 12:06
    I could do that.

And with a few others (Warsaw, Day of the Lords, Wilderness).

Anything with a nice angular/resounding guitar blast.

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
    • Användare
    • 5 feb 2007, 00:54
    To me, Unknown Pleasures is one of those albums you have to listen to from start to end, it's not something I'd pick one song from. "Disorder" is the bright spot of hopeful optimism, then the album flows into darker and darker tones. It's supposed to sound bleak, that's the point.

It is an album you have to be in the mood for though.

• LINK2K9 sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 maj 2007, 08:08
    Any recommendations from them? I dig "Love Will Tear Us Apart" so I want to pick up some albums by them.

• hokstein sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 aug 2007, 08:57
    LINK2K9 said:
    Any recommendations from them? I dig "Love Will Tear Us Apart" so I want to pick up some albums by them.

Not sure if you're still interested after all this time (sorry we're going so slow here!), but I think Love Will Tear Us Apart is really different from all their other songs. If you're looking for similar music in terms of mood, themes etc, then you're safing getting either Unknown Pleasures or Closer. If you want it similar in terms of composition, then maybe you're better of with early New Order...

What do others think?

• Niovi_ sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 sep 2007, 19:52
    i listened a few songs and they seen very very interesting.
    song suggestions please!!

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.