Post your favourite mondegreen

• snyde1 sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 27 jul 2008, 03:15

Post your favourite mondegreen

Have you ever heard "alternate" lyrics for a song that you felt were funnier, more poignant or insightful than the "real" lyrics? Post them here. If you're willing to share, we're willing to listen, or at least read, them.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    • snyde1 sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 27 jul 2008, 03:18

Hello, Guido

Just to start off, I'll post one of my misheard lyrics. (Yes, I do have more. Most are more embarrassing.)

You know the part in Survive where they sing "Somehow, Guido, gotta find a way to survive?" Well, apparently no-one but me knows that.

The lyrics as written, and sung so I am told, are "Somehow we all got to find a way to survive."

I had wondered why Guido wasn't mentioned elsewhere in the song and what he had to do with surviving.

Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • One of my favorites that's been misheard is "There's a bathroom on the right." in Bad Moon Rising. The actual lyric is "There's a bad moon on the rise." It's still funny to think about it.

Another is "Donuts make my brown eyes blue." Can you guess what song that isn't from? ;D

Of course, I can't think of any just now which I've actually misheard but when I do, I'll be sure to post. Tori Amos is always throwing me for a loop!

• YES! Love a good Creedence Mondegreen.

My dad swore for 20 odd years that the lyric from Down On The Corner was "you don't need a pinhead just to hang around."

I Wanna Be Sedated by the Ramones = I want a piece of bacon.

• LOL! I never heard that Ramones one. That one sounds like a good Weird Al cover. :)

• CortJstr sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 aug 2008, 17:18
    For like a year after I got the album Roulette Girl I heard a line in Swan Dive as "And remind you in its leather vice/Of failures you’d forgot" instead of "remind you in its lullabies." I don't know what a leather vice is, and frankly I don't think I want to. The worst part is that the CD had the lyrics in the liner notes the whole time.

There's a Five O'Clock Heroes song (Run to Her?) with the line "I know your daughter, oh so well" that I still hear as, "I know your daughter, Orson Welles." I didn't even know Orson Welles had a daughter.

Want to eat your cake and have it too? Try new Schröedinger's Cake!
    Were you 1979 born?

• CortJstr said:
    I didn't even know Orson Welles had a daughter.

In fact, he had three. :)

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 sep 2008, 10:23
    On Brian Wilson's 'Child is the Father of Man', I hear

"Easy my child, it's just enough to believe (I believe, I believe, I believe)
    Out of the wild into what you can't conceive
    Eugene"
    I thought, why, or who is Eugene... it wasn't Eugene, it was "You'll change"...

and... an oldie but a goodie:

Alex the seal = Our lips are sealed (Go-Gos/Fun Boy Three)

• Användare
    • 1 okt 2008, 06:39
    I also used to hear Martha and the Muffins' Echo Beach as "Echo Beach, far away inch high", instead of "Echo Beach, far away in time" - silly.

• Some of mine.

Gina wants to die of old age ==> Gina works in a diner all day (Bon Jovi, Living On A Prayer)

And a couple that betray my geekiness:

And the pretty, pretty girls I thought I could trust
    Have taken everything but my dial-up

eventually morphed into the correct "...have taken everything but my bad luck" after I realised there was no other evidence the singer was a computer user. I still think my version more accurately conveys misery, though. :P

-------

We're wasting our time watching our old re-runs
    Waiting for the good one that never comes
    You say it beats working on the Internets (Semisonic, Who's Stopping You?)

After I realised that this had been recorded before the general spread of "Internets" as a jokey form of "Internet", I listened more closely and found it was the much more profound

You say it beats working on the emptiness
    That's lurking inside your head

• One of my own mishead lyrics is from Tremendous Brunettes (Featuring Dave Matthews) by Mike Doughty. For a while I heard the chorus as "all them tremendous brunettes are brown" instead of "all them tremendous brunettes around".

• Användare
    • 6 maj 2011, 05:49
    Cheryl Cole's "dont talk about this love":

"It's like I could drown in syphilis" - it's actually "It's like i could drown, It's effortless".

But this mondegreen is epic.

• snyde1 sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 6 maj 2012, 01:12
    It's been a year since the last post, so ...

Baby Don't Dance has the first line:
    "She's looking like Stonehenge in old England"

I was sure that the last bit was "dead fish in a cold pan" like the other line.

Okay, it's not the best, but it's all I could come up with.

• "I called your name
    and you were gone (and you were gone)" - John Farnham, Pressure Down

when i was a kid i thought it went like this:

"I called your name
    and a U.F.O. (and a U.F.O.)"

;)

"We've graduated now from [being called] 'the next Jane's Addiction' to 'the next Nirvana,' now we're 'the next Pearl Jam.'" (Billy Corgan, 1993)
    Music is my boyfriend.
    Woody's a girl @ last.fm
    • snyde1 sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 4 jun 2014, 15:19
    Metric - Sick Muse

Real line: "Money is a sick muse"

I hear: "Mommy needs a sick muse"

(Oh Emily, really? No, not really!)

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.