Moorcock and Music

• Fafou sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 aug 2006, 17:25

Moorcock and Music

It'll be quick. I think all of you know that Michael has been influenced by music since he was young.

He has a lot of connections with other artists. The main connection is Hawkwind. This band is view as the creator of "Space Rock" music. Moorcock helped them at the beginning of the band (He knew Nik Turner and Robert Calvert and met Dave Brock). So, a lot of songs by Hawkwind were influenced by this writer. He wrote "Black Corridor" and "Sonic Attack" for the "Space Ritual" show in 1973. The album "Warrior At The Edge Of Time" released in 1975 contained a lot of poems by Moorcock. He did two vocals on this album. Besides, he participated in a lot of Hawkwind's shows. Particularly in 1985 with the "Chronicles Of The Black Sword" Tour, which was concepted on the story of Elric. A great show ! Michael Moorcock and The Deep Fix was in fact a band with a lot of members and ex-members of Hawkwind.

Moorcock participated to the elaboration of songs by Blue Öyster Cult, an "old" Heavy Metal band from USA. He wrote in 1979 for the album "Mirrors" the song "The Great Sun Jester" which talk about Corum (I'm not sure). In 1980, for the album "Cültosaurus Erectus" he wrote "Black Blade" on Elric. And in 1981, for "Fire Of Unknown Origin" he wrote "Veteran Of The Psychic Wars" based on Corum.

He also knew Robert Calvert who wrote in "New Worlds". This poet and singer influenced Hawkwind a lot. And Moorcock played banjo on his album: Lucky Leif And The Longships.

And, to conclude all that I know, he composed music for "Gloriana" with Peter Pavli. But the stuff was never recorded.

So, Moorcock is a writer fascinated by music. In a lot of stories on Jerry Cornelius, there are indices of his passion. He also wrote a short story on Jimi Hendrix called "A Dead Singer" in 1974.

It's all. If you know other relations between Moorcock and music, please let us know it :) And sorry for my poor english.

• Blind Guardian with the song The Quest For Tanelorn on the Somewhere Far Beyond Album

I can’t think of any greater happiness than to be with you all the time, without interruption, endlessly, even though I feel that here in this world there’s no undisturbed place for our love, neither in the village nor anywhere else; and I dream of a grave, deep and narrow, where we could clasp each other in our arms as with clamps, and I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.
    • Fafou sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 aug 2006, 22:31
    Aaah Blind Guardian ! Great band.

They never worked with Moorcock, but wrote on his stories. On the album "Follow The Blind", the songs "Fast To Madness" and "Damned For All Time" also talk about Moorcock's heroes. :)

• Fafou sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 aug 2006, 22:31
    Humpf... Double

• Oh.I've only heard Follow the Blind once or twice,its the only BG album I dont have(my brother has it).Cant say I like it as much as all the rest.

I can’t think of any greater happiness than to be with you all the time, without interruption, endlessly, even though I feel that here in this world there’s no undisturbed place for our love, neither in the village nor anywhere else; and I dream of a grave, deep and narrow, where we could clasp each other in our arms as with clamps, and I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.
    • Fafou sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 aug 2006, 08:50
    Follow The Blind is a very weird album in the Blind Guardian's discography. Doomer than all the rest. But I do love it. It has to be listened a lot of time to really enter in the ambience of the album.

• Domine is a band practically dedicated to Elric

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 aug 2007, 05:12

now i reveal myself.....

(edit)i'm lame not reading your mention of this....

michael moorcock had an album in the mid to late seventies under the name michael moorcock and the deepfix (the deepfix being the name of jerry cornelius's band in his quartet of books). the album is called New World's Fair and features most of the 1975 line-up of hawkwind as well as snowy white (pink floyd backup guitarist and one time thin lizzy guitarist) amongst others. it's a fantastic album if you can get a hold of it (long out of print).

-joe turner "deepfix"

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.