• Vinny81 sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 jul 2008, 13:36

cohen vs. dylan

who's the best lyricist then?

this piece i just found reckons leonard cohen for obvious reasons:

http://www.thequietus.com/articles/dylan-vs-cohen

what does everyone think then?

leave a comment at that website and let them know what you think ;o)

vinny x

Dean Samways
    Twitter: @Deanways
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 jul 2008, 15:01
    I can't choose, really..
    They're both great. :)

• iKvlt sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 aug 2008, 00:24
    Cohen by miles. Bob Dylan has penned some good lyrics but they don't sync with the music nearly as well as Cohen's. It's one thing to write good lyrics, but if you can't deliver them through the music and vocals who the hell cares? Bob Dylan is a talented songwriter and lyricist but he would have done well to hire someone with more vocal talent. As it stands Leonard Cohen is not only a superior lyricist but through the music he delivers an experience Bob Dylan has never been able to give listeners. Then again I'm pretty biased about the whole thing seeing as I'm much more of a Cohen fan and they are entirely different styles.

• amdhappy sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 sep 2008, 11:15
    I totaly agree with iKvlt. I like most Dylan stuff, but for me it doesn't touch my soul like Cohen does. Leonard Cohen has the ability to get under your skin and play with your emotions (for me anyway!) and Dylan is a story writer. Dylan just can't bring a grown man to tears.

I am not saying Dylan is pants, because he has written some masterpieces in his time, but your question was "who's the best lyricist then?" and it is obviously Leonard Cohen.

• polek sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 sep 2008, 12:56
    I think there's no point in such comparing. There are lot of people who think that Dylan's vocal is extraordinary and full of power (in sense of Poetry also). I agree with them. @amdhappy - Dylan doesn't touch my soul in the way Cohen does, but he touches it in another. It's the question of music taste, not the "quality of material", any material You may have got in Your mind.

After giving more thought to this, I can add that Dylan influences me more intellectually. His music gives me also the energy for doing somenthing, another words - it boosts my activity :o) Cohen touches my heart, gives me power to love and to express the best emotions I'm able to feel.

• I've never connected with Dylan's work really. Cohen's wordplay and ability to describe a scene or a relationship with so few words is astounding, Dylan doesn't compare in my mind.

• mvanwie sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 okt 2008, 14:46

Dylan for me.....just

It doesn't et much better than this....

Disillusioned words like bullets bark
    As human gods aim for their marks
    Made everything from toy guns that sparks
    To flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark
    It's easy to see without looking too far
    That not much
    Is really sacred.

or this......

In the empty lot where the ladies play blindman's bluff with the key chain
    And the all-night girls they whisper of escapades out on the D-train
    We can hear the night watchman click his flashlight
    Ask himself if it's him or them that's really insane
    Louise she's all right she's just near
    She's delicate and seems like the mirror
    But she just makes it all too concise and too clear
    That Johanna's not here
    The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face
    Where these visions of Johanna have now taken my place.

Courtesy of Mr Dylan

• It always irritates me how so many people declare Dylan as the greatest song writer of all time. It's a thoughtless answer that people spout through default.

That being said, I am a Dylan fan. But, I never thought he approached the brilliance of Leonard Cohen.

• Användare
    • 23 nov 2008, 07:34

Cohen

Simply the best

• Användare
    • 31 dec 2008, 00:04
    They both are great but Dylan is more in politica, and Cohen is more romantic. But they both are great musicians and songwriters.

• Leonard Cohen without a doubt.

• Akrid3 sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 feb 2009, 20:17
    Cohen with out a doubt for me. Heard a few Bob Dylan and wasn't interested, although I admit he is one stylin' guy.

• spantiru sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 mar 2009, 12:42

Cohen by far

Somehow his music makes you feel what the lyrics say.
    The music creates the emotion and then his lyrics can bind those emotions to very deep, intricate but brilliantly metaphoric ideas ranging from romance to politics.

I've listened Bob Dylan too, most of his discography I think, determined to like it as it was a missing piece of puzzle between Cohen, Pasarea Colibri (romanian folk group highly influenced by Dylan), Joan Baez, Johnny Cash and others that I like. But it just didn't happen! There's something very different between Dylan and Cohen in the distance they create between themselves and the listener.

Cohen's attitude is all warm and his concert openings with "Hello, friends" never fail to create a strong relation with the public, whereas I feel Dylan as a "solitary man" and his lyrics seem to be about distant things that happen somewhere *else*, although technically they're very good.

"(...) but I may be wrong" :)

Life is tough, but doesn't last.
    • Användare
    • 9 mar 2009, 04:07

Hard to decide

Both are great artist.

• LEO

Leonard writes songs which are universally and dylan...he is telling about past you know, that's why i choose Cohen :D

Alinka.
  • Cohen

“This is the strangest life I've ever known.” --Jim Morrison
  • Two different mans concerning different things~
    Dylan is a hero of his generation
    Cohen can be a lover for every young lady dispite age and nation

• Användare
    • 7 aug 2009, 12:39
    Both of them are brilliant, but I prefer Cohen, mostly because of his themes.

• WLDB sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jan 2010, 21:29
    I don't know. I'm just getting into Cohen now over the last month or so. I get the same type of feeling from his songs as I do from Dylan's.

-Wes
  • I think it's hard to compare them, when we talk about lyrics, 'cause Cohen write more about feelings and emotions, and Dylan is rather about political, social, general things.
    But all in all I prefer Cohen.

• Användare
    • 11 apr 2010, 02:07
    If you post this question in a group called "Leonard Cohen," you're automatically going to get more Cohen votes.

But either way, I'm going with LC : )

• Cohen. No competition. The only lyricist I've heard who could even dream of competing with his words is Simon Joyner.

• I think it's insane that everybody is saying how different they are because Dylan is political and Cohen in romantic. Cohen IS romantic... but to pigeon-hole Dylan as political is crazy. Has nobody listened to Blood on the Tracks? Tell me that is political! That is Dylan wearing his heart on his sleeve with some great lyrics to back it up.

That being said, comparing the two is kind of dumb. They're both great and I love both. I can easily throw a Dylan record on the turntable then throw a Cohen one on it and be equally happy. :-)

• obtiosov sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 jun 2010, 09:28
    Dylan is not as political as thirty years ago, of course. He makes christmas albums!! :) I really like dylan's works but cohen always touches my heart.. COHEN is better. No doubt.

• WLDB sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 aug 2010, 05:25
    This is a Leonard Cohen group. You're going to get 80%+ for Cohen. Put this on a Dylan group and that statistic would be reversed.

-Wes
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.